Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1350431)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Set-up at Silverstone

I've just been reading the quotes from today [Friday] at Silverstone. A few things struck me.

Alot of teams drivers are complaining of understeer, specifically highspeed understeer. Specific complaints have come from the McLaren drivers, Renault drivers, Klein, Rubens and Villeneuve. Others may be having similar problems, but aren't mentioning it. This is quite a problem at Silverstone, with Montoya in particular suffering in Maggots.

One thing that hasn't helped them dial this out is the wind. Conditions haven't been ideal. It has been changing directions which makes chasing a set-up difficult and I think this is why many are saying they aren't happy with their cars.

Many have mentioned fuel too. Pat Symonds has said that fuel loads makes a big difference to lap times at Silverstone. On top of this DC has said he is happy with 9th, but is unsure what everyone else is running.

(see the teams press releases on most F1 sites, but a quote summary is given here: http://www.autosport-atlas.com/news.aspx?id=45532&s=5 )
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1350476)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I suppose that so long as they know which way the wind is blowing on Sunday then everything will be alright.

Doesn't look good for the Ferraris either.

Any way the wind blows doesn't really bother DC. *sing*

One problem Montoya really seems to be in the thick of things.First an alleged tennis injury and now he's "suffering in maggots" can it really get any worse for him.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1350483)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I suppose that so long as they know which way the wind is blowing on Sunday then everything will be alright.
That is an interesting point. They have to chose most of their set-up on Saturday afternoon!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1350491)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They want less understeer?

Take some rear wing off, see, easy.
I should have been a race engineer...
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:08 (Ref:1350494)   #5
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
That is an interesting point. They have to chose most of their set-up on Saturday afternoon!
Why did you write "most of their set-up"? I thought that everything had to remain the same (except if there is rain on the race day)?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1350500)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
They can change odd things. Front wings for one IIRC.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1350501)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Silverstone,like Catalunya,seem to suffer most from this problem of crosswinds.Both being quite open to their surroundings i suppose that it's inevitable.Nothing that a couple or so strategically placed (new) grandstands wouldn't put right.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1350505)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
They want less understeer?

Take some rear wing off, see, easy.
I should have been a race engineer...
So now we have both ends sliding.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1350506)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Why did you write "most of their set-up"? I thought that everything had to remain the same (except if there is rain on the race day)?
Check out rule 118 of the sporting regs for all the things they can do (it is mainly limited to cleaning up and changing fluids). However it includes this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA sporting regs
118)
the aerodynamic set up of the front wing may be adjusted using the existing parts. No parts may be
added, removed or replaced ;
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1350528)   #10
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Check out rule 118 of the sporting regs for all the things they can do (it is mainly limited to cleaning up and changing fluids). However it includes this:
And what about the rear wing as it doesn't make sense to me that you be entitled to touch the front without also being entitled to alter the rear?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1350540)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Changing both against the idea of the parc ferme rules. However allowing a change to the front only helps you correct a handling imbalance wihout fundamentally changing the downforce and drag levels of the car - the overall downforce levels are set by the rear as this effects the amount of drag more.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1350542)   #12
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe if certain individuals were removed from the Paddock area there would be Less 'Hot Air' causing thermals & Crosswinds!!!

Rgrds Jim