Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 13 Jun 2018, 18:56 (Ref:3829032)   #46
kipper
Veteran

England
Northampton
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
back in 2005-2006 British GT had races in France, how the heck was this possible and not BTCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
BGT still races at Spa.
Whilst British GT (and F3, for that matter) did have a number of foreign rounds in the mid part of the last decade, this was - in part - due to a falling out with MSV and, as such, access to their circuits wasn't possible. Secondly, British GT/F3 primarily exists for funded drivers to race either for fun or as a stepping stone. As such, they are better placed to race abroad as the main determining factor is competitor demand (and whether they want to pay for it). BTCC is in a different place, as although the bulk of drivers are paying to be part of it, the commercial factors are different - also, is it a simple/cost effective process for live TV from a foreign circuit to be arranged?

Given the size of the BTCC entourage, there aren't many options for a replacent of Rockingham: Silverstone International, Cadwell, Pembrey, Castle Combe, Lydden have inappropriate paddocks (plus accesss for the last three, is an issue); access is probably an issue for Anglesey; Goodwood can only run historics; Knockhill is a long way north; Oulton can only run on four Sundays a year (so a British Superbike or the popular Gold Cup would need to be jetisoned); Silverstone GP is too long; Lake Torrent isn't complete; Kirkistown is too small, has poor access and can't be used on Sundays; and Bishopscourt again has iffy access and noise issues. As such, the alternatives to Thruxton are probably a third Brands meeting, another Silverstone National, Donington, Snetterton or Croft.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3829037)   #47
BobJones
Racer

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
, British GT/F3 primarily exists for funded drivers to race either for fun or as a stepping stone. As such, they are better placed to race abroad as the main determining factor is competitor demand (and whether they want to pay for it). BTCC is in a different place, as although the bulk of drivers are paying to be part of it, the commercial factors are different
Exactly.

In BTCC, a driver or team may find sponsors that then fund the drives. But why would a sponsor want exposure in Belgium, France or Macau if the budget comes from the UK marketing team?

They don't.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:10 (Ref:3829038)   #48
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has a reason been given for the Rockingham decision?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3829047)   #49
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with regard to paddock space you are looking at a massive amount of trucks and suchlike, each car in btcc generally has a artic, each team will have a hospitality truck and awning, mr gow has his bus and hospitality, rml have 2 trucks, swindon engines 1, dunlop 2 plus awnings and the fuel co has an artic. most drivers have either a RV or large motorhome.

support paddocks, teams are running multiple artics, porsche have their hospitality along with renault, ford and ginetta, tyre and fuel trucks plus the crew accommodation. the knockhill paddocks are full and they are big
Old 13 Jun 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3829049)   #50
Jon411
Racer

Guernsey
Jon411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame to see Rockingham go as racing wise it was normally pretty good but it's been the one track I have never had any interest in going to based on hearing of others'experiences.

Nothing against Thruxton but as others have said, a workable alternative layout of another track (Donington GP or Snetterton 200 maybe) would have been my preference but failing another track coming in for 2020 it would be nice to see the spare slot rotated so that other tracks get the chance of hosting a second race weekend if they wish.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3829051)   #51
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Temporary circuit infrastructure costs are terrifying, I can't see TOCA or a promoter commiting to that and the days of local authorities funding things like this to promote the city or area are long gone.
Swedish TCC Have all the infrastructure to build temporary street circuits and have smaller entrys and crowds than BTCC
maybe it could be hired for special BTCC events?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 20:36 (Ref:3829054)   #52
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
There are a number of Scottish race series that could potentially cover the support package too if the F4, Clios etc. were exempted from the travel. Several BTCC teams did cry off Knockhill before the licencing system: yes, it's not exactly local for Bartie or Shaun H, but a days run in a HGV can cover the distance.
in terms of truck travel, itís a similar cost/effort for most teams to get to spa as it is to get to knockhill. knockhill can be done for most inside a 9/10 hour drive, but itís on the edge for anyone south of leicester who happens to hit a bit of traffic.

iíve never understood the travel poverty plea to dodge knockhill. perhaps cars are more prone to damage but if a team is mission critical over an extra £150 of hgv fuel then theyíve got bigger issues to deal with.

iíd love an extra race at knockhill too. as long as it was in july or something, because i donít think team kit can cope with anything other than summer up there
Old 13 Jun 2018, 20:50 (Ref:3829061)   #53
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
but failing another track coming in for 2020 it would be nice to see the spare slot rotated so that other tracks get the chance of hosting a second race weekend if they wish.
yes and that is what he said in the autosport today that I cut and pasted earlier in the thread;

Series director Alan Gow said Thruxton's extra event was an experiment for 2019 but that other current circuits could get additional rounds beyond that.

"We will double up at Thruxton and see how that goes - although that 'spare' date that we now have isn't set in stone," he explained.

"We will try Thruxton, but equally we could double up at other venues in years to come.

"We have had two rounds at places like Oulton Park before, and that has worked well."

Gow said it was highly unlikely that any tracks currently outside the BTCC calendar would be added in the near future.

"Given the infrastructure of the BTCC and the demands it places on circuits, the ones on the schedule presently are the only ones that can properly accommodate the championship," he added.

"We are not ignoring the other tracks around the UK, we simply wouldn't be able to fit into them.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3829087)   #54
Matt K
Racer

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that in BTCC there's little money. I don't compare it to F1 or other World Championships but you can just have a look at DTM or Supercars. Both are national series (well, Supercars clearly is) and they visit several countries, Supercars pushes for a few Asian rounds, they travel to New Zealand. No one complains about reasonability of it from sponsors point of view, no one complains about costs to travel somewhere.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 22:44 (Ref:3829153)   #55
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
The problem is that in BTCC there's little money. I don't compare it to F1 or other World Championships but you can just have a look at DTM or Supercars. Both are national series (well, Supercars clearly is) and they visit several countries, Supercars pushes for a few Asian rounds, they travel to New Zealand. No one complains about reasonability of it from sponsors point of view, no one complains about costs to travel somewhere.
You cannot compare those to the BTCC. The Dtm catering and hospitality budgets are probably more than a seat in the BTCC!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3829202)   #56
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
If you look at the nationalities of the drivers in BTCC, DTM and Supercars, it becomes clear where the interest from outside national boundaries lies.

Arguably BTCC should consider a NI round, but a suitable track is needed first.

In Italy, we get DTM shown on our TV - but most Italians I speak to have never heard of BTCC.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3829214)   #57
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
back in 2005-2006 British GT had races in France, how the heck was this possible and not BTCC
Apart from the differences in business model between BTCC and BGT that kipper talked about a few of posts back, quite a few of British GT's overseas adventures have been aided by commonality of regulations between GT series, which meant the BGT could link up with other series and run shared grids (although there have been standalone races at Spa as well)- the Magny-Cours 'BGT' round in 2005 was actually one class of BGT running as part of the FIA GT round, and the trips to Pau and Magny-Cours did the same thing running with the broadly equivalent classes in French GT- Some of the Spa BGT rounds have also seen joint grids with the Belgian GT series etc. That's not going to be so easy with BTCC running to a unique rulebook
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3829220)   #58
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If you look at the nationalities of the drivers in BTCC, DTM and Supercars, it becomes clear where the interest from outside national boundaries lies.

Arguably BTCC should consider a NI round, but a suitable track is needed first.

In Italy, we get DTM shown on our TV - but most Italians I speak to have never heard of BTCC.
Assuming Lake Torrent doesn't become another Circuit of Wales it would be an interesting addition. There's a big fanbase for motorsport in Ireland, and if the ferry transport could somehow be subsidised for the teams then it would be quite appealing to them I'd think.

The BBC in NI have given Turkington and Smiley a really decent amount of coverage, and I reckon that they'd really kick that up a gear (Jackson, 2012) if they had a home race to shout about.

It's also an hours flight from me when I'm home, so that's quite handy too
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3829221)   #59
Matt K
Racer

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Assuming Lake Torrent doesn't become another Circuit of Wales it would be an interesting addition. There's a big fanbase for motorsport in Ireland, and if the ferry transport could somehow be subsidised for the teams then it would be quite appealing to them I'd think.

The BBC in NI have given Turkington and Smiley a really decent amount of coverage, and I reckon that they'd really kick that up a gear (Jackson, 2012) if they had a home race to shout about.

It's also an hours flight from me when I'm home, so that's quite handy too
Well, it seems Lake Torrent is alright, WSBK signed a three year deal with the circuit, starting from 2019.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3829222)   #60
antnee
Racer

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Silverstone International circuit could be used, paddock can spill out onto the Stowe circuit, when the hardstanding area looks comparable to most other circuits (from a very scientific look on googlemaps ).

I would like to see some of the layouts at other circuits tried, I always like to see the GP loop included at Donington.