Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3874058)   #1001
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
This forum is as dead as F1.
winds me up no end when people say that who at the same time don’t contribute. post more good stuff to dilute the things you disagree with? start more discussions that interest you?
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3874072)   #1002
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A turn on the front wing, that sometimes works.
Aaaaahhhh. You're in the ballpark.

jimclark
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3874073)   #1003
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

If you love something, you've got to let it go.
And if it comes back, it's yours forever.

Not the "right answer", but I don't care anymore.
See ya' then....

jimclark
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:21 (Ref:3874074)   #1004
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

If you love something, you've got to let it go.

And if it comes back, it's yours forever.

Not the "right answer", but I don't care anymore.

If we love something, we are allowed to point out it’s flaws and suggest how to make it better. It’s what true fans do. We will still watch it and enjoy it as best we can, while worrying about it at the same time
Old 4 Jan 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3874075)   #1005
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
60+ pages eh......

My money's on the answer being in post #1000.....

(or #10,000, one or the other......)
So... I think it's looking like maybe post #10,000 must have the answer. Thank you Nostradasi!

Richard
Old 5 Jan 2019, 02:10 (Ref:3874092)   #1006
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Aaaaahhhh. You're in the ballpark.
Candlestick, now that was a ballpark.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 04:18 (Ref:3874098)   #1007
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
One of my pet hates is that 'complicated' word!! Seems to get overused by people these days as a kind of disclaimer for something bad they are about to do!!

If the tweaks don't work then Ross and co know they will need to implement more significant changes for 2021.

I am convinced that a simpler regs which cost less will attract new entrants.

Part of the reason there aren't any new teams at present is because of the performance and I suspect political clout Merc has.

FIA should publish the regs that are required to reduce cost and better racing and if certain entities don't like it too bad.
Better called fundamentals.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 04:25 (Ref:3874099)   #1008
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

I think that you either create so tight of regulations that development produces little or no improvements and then pure chance has a larger impact on results (effectively fully spec cars... and to a level that is way beyond something like NASCAR) or you address the issue on the funding/budget side. Which is the dirty phrase of "budget caps" which everyone loves to say will not work in F1, but somehow seems to work in other sports.

Richard
Or reduce the ability to manage the cars so well that mistakes are rare. Let them build what they want but make it difficult to utilise the whole sum of the technology so they have to make real choices.

In the end the next sixty pages will replicate the first sixty.
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3874129)   #1009
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Zac Brown believes that F1 is broken and that Liberty need to stick to their proposed 2021 reforms, and ignore Ferrari and Mercedes.

http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/GP...mclaren-214876

"We know change in F1 is difficult, and we also know F1 today is a broken model, both as a business and as an on-track product, that is going to need to be changed," Brown is quoted by Autosport.

"Those that are winning today will obviously feel the compromise about what is happening, and those are not winning today are going to like the plan." Zac Brown
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3874133)   #1010
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well he would say that, but at least he is honest when he says those who are winning don’t want change and those that aren’t do. But he’s right when he says that change is necessary to fix the broken product
Old 5 Jan 2019, 11:38 (Ref:3874135)   #1011
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So... I think it's looking like maybe post #10,000 must have the answer. Thank you Nostradasi!

Richard

Yep, #1000 definitely wasn't it!
Old 6 Jan 2019, 23:31 (Ref:3874369)   #1012
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
FIA should call Merc and Ferraris bluff and just publish new regs. There will be plenty of interested parties!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 10:29 (Ref:3874424)   #1013
S griffin
Veteran

What other sport let's the competitors help decide the rules? Maybe some advise them of the rules, but that's about it
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:32 (Ref:3880204)   #1014
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This appears to be an interesting article.

That would just be So Bernie, wouldn't it?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 15:56 (Ref:3880213)   #1015
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes indeed. And then as is his wont, back to free to air for a while to broaden the audience.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3880222)   #1016
S griffin
Veteran

Well he was the one who gave the exclusive rights to Sky, so I doubt he would
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3880230)   #1017
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He is known for changing his mind.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3880235)   #1018
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
This appears to be an interesting article.

That would just be So Bernie, wouldn't it?
If he was smart (and he is) he would keep his wallet closed and continue as a critic of whoever sits in the driving seat. Basically quit while he is ahead and enjoy the spoils. Question is... will his personal vanity rule the day? I suspect that even BE understands his age (88) and that to take back control would be require a staggering level of work and energy for anyone let alone an octogenarian.

While the report is brief (one paragraph long) it puts forth it's conclusion as to what is wrong...

Quote:
collectively indicate the C-suite is in over their heads and taking direction from the wrong places
Not saying those are not real possibilities, but could it also be that Liberty is realizing that F1 may not have much growth potential regardless of who runs it? Or that fixing it is not worth the investment due to the difficulty (herding powerful cats)? If so, then sell now before the value continues to dwindle. Note.. I comment on F1 as a business vs. a sport.

I think many of the problems with F1 is that the sport has suffered as they have tried to grow the business side beyond it's likely natural peak. Other factors that are out of their control is the decline of "car culture" as well as the upswing (unlikely to stop) of alternative and non-carbon based energy sources.

A healthy and profitable F1 likely needs to be "smaller" rather than larger. Sell that idea to investors!

Richard
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3880237)   #1019
Richard C
Veteran

I will add... if Liberty really is shopping F1 around, they likely have little leverage in extracting concessions from the current players. They would likely rather hold tight in the hopes that whoever is next will give them a better deal. The grass is always greener even if the mindset (and strength of will) of the next owner could be worse (from the team's perspective). F1 is in love with rolling the dice in hopes that things will be better next season.

Richard
Old 28 Jan 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3880238)   #1020
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I will add... if Liberty really is shopping F1 around, they likely have little leverage in extracting concessions from the current players. They would likely rather hold tight in the hopes that whoever is next will give them a better deal. The grass is always greener even if the mindset (and strength of will) of the next owner could be worse (from the team's perspective). F1 is in love with rolling the dice in hopes that things will be better next season.

Richard

I think that the message rang loud and clear when they bought out Mr E, and tried to get the teams to buy some of the shares. They had to extend the deadline once or twice because none of the teams were forthcoming, although Ferrari expressed so muted interest but that waned when none of the others joined in.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 18:20 (Ref:3880245)   #1021
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dead duck?
Old 28 Jan 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3880247)   #1022
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
long term it might be a dead duck but until it dies i imagine there is still a lot of money to be made...wouldn't be a proper pyramid scheme otherwise.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3880407)   #1023
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite an interesting article, with the Formula One Promoters' Association criticizing the direction Liberty is taking F1.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/141231
Old 29 Jan 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3880420)   #1024
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
TV subscriptions are expensive and racetrack tickets are expensive. In a word, F1 is expensive.

Promoters complain that TV subscriptions are expensive, but ask for a share in TV money.
Old 29 Jan 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3880430)   #1025
S griffin
Veteran

Liberty have promised much, but haven't quite been what we were expecting them to be