Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jan 2019, 12:06 (Ref:3874928)   #51
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Mark Skinner (Toyota Tundra) in 2018 shootout did 48.25. Ricky Collard (of course, it was a first outing at the wheel of BMW M4 DTM, wasn't it?) did 50.82. Frank Biela (A4 DTM) was even slower than Andrew Jordan (BMW 125) - clearly was too careful not to scratch the racing car. Maybe that's why they haven't left any recollections. For sure, it's only a show, but still has a bit of info in it.
It only provides information if you can show that the cars were being pushed to the limit.

Even if the DTM cars WERE being pushed to the limit, the comparison still tells us nothing because Mike Skinner's time was set in a heavily modified truck that is far faster than a standard NASCAR Tundra. It is to NASCAR Trucks as the Porsche 919 Evo is to LMP1 - built on a car designed for the associated rules, but altered well beyond what is allowed in the original series.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 21:50 (Ref:3875365)   #52
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTM appoints new Director and Head of Communications.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 11:57 (Ref:3876463)   #53
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DTM will use an IndyCar-style push-to-pass system alongside a revised DRS in 2019 in a bid to improve the racing spectacle.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3876486)   #54
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Push-to-pass is okay, at least I've heard it works well in IndyCar but what's the point in maintaining DRS at the same time? And I don't like the idea of 3 seconds DRS window, that's too much. I know they are trying to make exciting racing but this may get too artificial, I'm afraid.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 15:10 (Ref:3876738)   #55
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019...inal-bmw-seat/

Sheldon van der Linde secures final BMW seat

So their drivers are
Sheldon Van der Linde
Philipp Eng
Joel Eriksson
Bruno Spengler
Marco Wittmann
Timo Glock
Old 17 Jan 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3876769)   #56
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who can explain where do they shift diffuser leading edge? They are talking about 870 mm (?!) but in which direction? Only forward I think, as 870 (?!) backwards would be impossible by my calculations. Still this will move aero loads backwards as they almost eliminate splitter.
Old 17 Jan 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3876780)   #57
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Besides, if they really use very long diffuser then it's a straight quote from ITC times I believe. At least Alfa used a very long diffuser started almost from the front doors, as far as I understand.
Old 18 Jan 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3876973)   #58
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheldon van der Linde is a great addition to BMW and DTM. I understand that BMW's squad is full, meaning there's no customer team, which is a shame.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3877327)   #59
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Sheldon van der Linde is a great addition to BMW and DTM. I understand that BMW's squad is full, meaning there's no customer team, which is a shame.

BMW can't seem to find a customer for their cars. There were rumours about Motopark using the capacities they originally assigned for a potential F3 campaign, but nothing came of it. Even with the series trying to lower costs, it's still not enough for some teams. Plus what GT3 team will want to move from winning in ADAC GT Masters or Blancpain GT to getting their butt handed by the works teams in DTM? It's a slight miracle that WRT is on the grid, but I guess they did get a good offer by Audi, since they've always been good customers. At the moment, it would even be a slight miracle if we get at least one Aston Martin on the grid by Hockenheim.

But I still wonder how DTM can be that expensive. There isn't much travelling involved, since most races are in Western Europe/Germany, where the majority of teams are anyway. There are enough single spec parts in the cars, so costs of spare parts shouldn't be that high. Now I don't know how many people need to be in the pit crews and such, but I presume that's an area where you could still save. But honestly, you can only save that much money. So does it come down to expensive cars in the end? Now I'm all for trying to get your best bang for the buck. But if DTM wants to be above GT3, it should have a package that'll allow for going faster than GT3. But now DTM has their new class one regulations, which makes it hard to switch regs again.
Old 20 Jan 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3877365)   #60
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
But if DTM wants to be above GT3, it should have a package that'll allow for going faster than GT3. But now DTM has their new class one regulations, which makes it hard to switch regs again.
The Class one regs are faster than the outgoing DTM regs - and they were faster than GT3 anyway so I don't see what the issue is?
Old 14 Feb 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3884111)   #61
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019...-aston-martin/

Di Resta to Aston. Aston will debut at Hockenheim apparently with 4 cars.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3884113)   #62
Matt K
Veteran

Good to have him in the DTM. Actually I thought he was going to be a hot candidate to the seat. I already can't wait to see this Aston.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 12:41 (Ref:3884121)   #63
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jake Dennis will drive the 2. Aston.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3884129)   #64
Matt K
Veteran

Both of them have been predicted by me some time ago, now it's interesting to see who are the other two. But I think it may be Kirchhöfer and Maxime Martine.
Old 14 Feb 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3884275)   #65
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good choice, he will give them much needed experience
Old 15 Feb 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3884281)   #66
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Both of them have been predicted by me some time ago, now it's interesting to see who are the other two. But I think it may be Kirchhöfer and Maxime Martine.
KIRCHOFER, MARTIN, DENNIS, DI RESTA would be a pretty solid line up
Old 16 Feb 2019, 10:06 (Ref:3884577)   #67
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having already booked flights and accommodation for Zolder I am very relieved to hear that Aston Martin will be represented by 4 cars. Jake Dennis was an instant cult hero in Australia after the B12 so it will be interesting to see him in DTM.
Old 16 Feb 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3884593)   #68
Matt K
Veteran

If there are four Astons instantly, there'll be 18-car grid again as BMW's customer team is highly unlikely.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3885201)   #69
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferdinand Habsburg driver no3 for R Motorsport. A little left field..

Rumour is 4th driver is Daniel Juncadella which I think is a good choice

Would have liked to have seen Kirchofer in there, I guess he will stay with the Blancpain Programme
Old 19 Feb 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3885210)   #70
Matt K
Veteran

Habsburg is some sort of surprise for me but it'll be great to see him in DTM. But when it comes to Juncandella I don't think he'd be a right choice. He's never really set the world on fire and Aston already has a driver with DTM experience. Maxime Martin would be a brilliant choice IMO.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3885225)   #71
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Habsburg is some sort of surprise for me but it'll be great to see him in DTM. But when it comes to Juncandella I don't think he'd be a right choice. He's never really set the world on fire and Aston already has a driver with DTM experience. Maxime Martin would be a brilliant choice IMO.
Juncadella is confirmed.

I agree Martin would have been perfect, however he is a Aston Martin factory driver, and this is not an Aston Martin customer supported programme, so they are obviously not providing factory drivers in support as they do with the GT3 efforts.

I wonder if the position here from Aston is to claim lack of connection until the programme is proven a success, then they might start claiming it, and supporting it some more.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 13:12 (Ref:3885232)   #72
Matt K
Veteran

Yeah, you're right, this is why I'd thought Martin was unlikely and now obviously it's out of question. I'm not Juncandellas fan but on the other hand he's been DTM's mainstay and kay prove important for Aston.

The fact of R Motorsport outfit not being supported in any way by Aston Martin is a bit disappointing but hopefully this won't hinder their programme.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3885302)   #73
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Juncadella is confirmed.
I wonder if the position here from Aston is to claim lack of connection until the programme is proven a success, then they might start claiming it, and supporting it some more.

Prodrive is alledgedly really angered that someone else started an Aston Martin programme without any involvement from David Richards' squad. I think Richards is against an Aston Martin entry into a "touring car series" on principle. But even Aston's German branch so far chose to ignore DTM, instead promoting the brand's involvement in the ADAC GT Masters.

So I just wonder how R-Motorsport was allowed to run Aston silhouettes in the first place. Because if so many people are not in favour of DTM, surely someone would have put the kibosh on that one. But I guess they prefer the license fee they're surely getting from R-Motorsport.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3885377)   #74
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Prodrive is alledgedly really angered that someone else started an Aston Martin programme without any involvement from David Richards' squad. I think Richards is against an Aston Martin entry into a "touring car series" on principle. But even Aston's German branch so far chose to ignore DTM, instead promoting the brand's involvement in the ADAC GT Masters.

So I just wonder how R-Motorsport was allowed to run Aston silhouettes in the first place. Because if so many people are not in favour of DTM, surely someone would have put the kibosh on that one. But I guess they prefer the license fee they're surely getting from R-Motorsport.

Well they are allowed because they have permission from the manufacturer.

The manufacturer is Aston Martin, not Prodrive. Do they can be angry but have no say in the matter.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3885575)   #75
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Another manufacturer in the series can only add to the series after an uncertain future