Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One > Predictions Contest & Fun

Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:27 (Ref:4047118)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The COAT - A bracket to determine (just for fun)

Following the conclusion of the Driver GOAT (thread here) we move on to determine what was the greatest Car Of All Time in F1 - or if you prefer, the COAT.

What makes a COAT? - it's entirely up to you. It might be a car that was successful, or is seen as the definitive version of a livery. Maybe it was something innovative, or could be just the most aesthetically pleasing.

Ultimately - it's a pointless exercise. But, we'll go through it all the same. If nothing else, it will bring back to mind some of the classic F1 cars from through the years, and maybe some interesting talking points may crop up as we work through the bracket.

The pace (unlike the cars) will be slower than the GOAT, with each poll running for a more lengthy period. As each poll is posted, it will be tracked in this thread here. Hopefully some good memories will come out of this.

Will we answer the question of whether F1 is about the machinery or the driver? - probably not. But F1 is about both, so the contenders for COAT are going to get their chance to shine. Hopefully you'll find one of your favourite cars in the list (if you have one). If not, drop a comment and it might be possible to add it to the list.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 16:40 (Ref:4047122)   #2
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
What makes a COAT? - it's entirely up to you. It might be a car that was successful, or is seen as the definitive version of a livery. Maybe it was something innovative, or could be just the most aesthetically pleasing.
A good idea, thanks for that.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 17:03 (Ref:4047131)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sweet!
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4047145)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Another great idea crm, you certainly put a lot of effort into these things.
OK, I'll admit it, when I saw the thread title I thought we would be voting for the worst driver! (The Crappiest of all Time!)
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4047147)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First three matches are up and running:

Eifelland Type 21 vs McLaren MP4/4
Ferrari F2001 vs Benetton B195
McLaren MP4/14 vs Brabham BT46
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4047148)   #6
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Hope we'll see the P99, Sir Stirling Moss favorite.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4047152)   #7
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hope we'll see the P99, Sir Stirling Moss favorite.
That can be arranged.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4047153)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice.

Same number of matchups as March Madness again?
Old 21 Apr 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4047159)   #9
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Nice.

Same number of matchups as March Madness again?
The plan is for a first round of 32 matches, of which I have 64 cars ready to go (and seeded).

However, if more cars are nominated by the time I get to the 32nd fixture, I can add those to that last poll.

e.g. the 32nd fixture currently will have three cars in the poll (following Gerard's nomination):
Ferrari 312T
Williams FW26
Ferguson P99
Old 21 Apr 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4047172)   #10
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
A great idea for a new competition. Personally, the thing I value most is an innovative design, and for that reason, the Brabham fan car is my favourite of all time, despite the fact it was only used once. The most innovative car design in the history of Formula 1.

In more recent years, the Mercedes from last year is a good one because of DAS. I am also a big fan of the 2009 Brawn, just because of the story behind it and the team, rather than anything to do with the car itself.
Old 21 Apr 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4047174)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice one crm!
Old 22 Apr 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4047217)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
After reading several times BTCC's last post I had to make up my mind on what, for me, makes the COAT. Remember the heart or head thing in GOAT thread? This one is gonna be more tricky than appears at first glance…
So, might it become a brainer then… No way!
What is sure for me is that I have no clue and few knowledge to vote wisely but this wont spoil my day or week! I suggest that every post should start with a virtual IMO or IMHO.

Thanks for the P99 addition crmalcolm… I deduct you too find it has to be the COAT!
Old 22 Apr 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4047268)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
the Mercedes from last year is a good one because of DAS. I am also a big fan of the 2009 Brawn,
I can confirm that both of those cars will appear at some point.

Any and all (F1/WDC) cars mentioned in this thread prior to completion of the first round will appear in one of the matches.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 14:59 (Ref:4047311)   #14
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I fear that at a moment we'll see a Gordini here… My heart will speak.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 16:00 (Ref:4047328)   #15
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I fear that at a moment we'll see a Gordini here… My heart will speak.
Old 22 Apr 2021, 16:26 (Ref:4047337)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
six matches are now up and running:

Eifelland Type 21 vs McLaren MP4/4 (closes 28 Apr 21)
Ferrari F2001 vs Benetton B195 (closes 28 Apr 21)
McLaren MP4/14 vs Brabham BT46 (closes 28 Apr 21)
Mercedes-AMG F1 W11 EQ Performance vs Benetton B194 vs McLaren M23
(closes 29 Apr 21)
Shadow DN5 vs Maserati 250F (closes 29 Apr 21)
Mercedes-Benz W196 vs BRM P57 (closes 29 Apr 21)
Old 22 Apr 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4047382)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
After the blue, I'm curious to see how the Yellow Tea Pot will be rated…
Old 23 Apr 2021, 01:30 (Ref:4047422)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you think anyone will make the argument that a car shouldn’t be voted for because of who drove it?

“The MP4/4 only win all those races because it had Senna and Prost driving it”
Old 23 Apr 2021, 10:01 (Ref:4047464)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, here come the 'trained monkeys'.......
Old 23 Apr 2021, 10:24 (Ref:4047477)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do you think anyone will make the argument that a car shouldn’t be voted for because of who drove it?

“The MP4/4 only win all those races because it had Senna and Prost driving it”
I would welcome the argument (they'd be wrong, but I respect them for being wrong).

I possibly expect the counter to that - i.e. "Car X is a great car, because it finally allowed Driver Y to achieve success" to be a more valid argument.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4047482)   #21
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
May be you both are right. Surely some cars became better thanks to the driver's involvement in better settings for example, sign of a deep cooperation with all the engineers not forgetting the mechanics crew. And the argument "Car X is a great car, because it finally allowed Driver Y to achieve success" seems valid of course but not obviously "more valid".
The monkey thing is due to Niki L I guess?
Old 25 Apr 2021, 02:57 (Ref:4047727)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
René Alexandre Arnoux

For those that are aware of his most recent excursion, the car is in round one.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 03:10 (Ref:4047728)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
The monkey thing is due to Niki L I guess?
And this is when he was that “Monkey”
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 25 Apr 2021, 04:00 (Ref:4047730)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
McLaren MP4/1 first carbon fibre monocoque - game changer.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 05:30 (Ref:4047851)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
And this is when he was that “Monkey”