Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2021, 07:38 (Ref:4070434)   #1
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On event scrutineering.

This coming weekend at Oulton Park we have the reappearance of on-event scrutineering.
Was nothing learnt during the COVID fun and games experience?
It seemed to me that the self declaration scrutineering concept was far more grown up and elegant than the previous regime.
When in many places such as in the USA - the most litigious society known - they can scrutineer once and that is accepted for an entire season what makes our way necessary?
With the self declared concept were there more failures? Were cars less safe? Did accidents due to poor preparation increase?
As compliance scrutineering is done in or after parc ferme I can’t believe that cars have become less correct in a way that they are going to be spotted in the shed in the morning, in fact I was told by a senior MSUK scrutineer that this is not what was being looked for in any case.
It also appeared that the ability of the scrutineers to roam around the paddock looking at cars “undressed” was just as useful and productive, if not more so, than a brief look over a car in a shed.
Would MSUK like to tell us what was so bad about the way we scratched that itch during COVID?
Old 26 Aug 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4070435)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I always thought scrutineering on the day was purely about safety?. The Goodwood method always made more sense than everyone causing a traffic jam in the paddock at busier meetings . . . .

obviously weather can play a part there, a shed to shelter in can be useful.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4070449)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I totally agree Simon, online scrutineering makes a huge amount of sense.

Given that the car is taken away from the Scrutineering Bay, wheels changed, bodywork/wings may be changed, engine may change - what's the point? It's like an MOT - only valid at the time the tester walks away.

When we scrutineer the karts on Saturday evening, it's very likely that only the frame remains the same on Sunday morning. Always strikes me as a waste of time when our overnight work isn't re-checked.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Aug 2021, 12:04 (Ref:4070472)   #4
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I totally agree Simon, online scrutineering makes a huge amount of sense.

Given that the car is taken away from the Scrutineering Bay, wheels changed, bodywork/wings may be changed, engine may change - what's the point? It's like an MOT - only valid at the time the tester walks away.

When we scrutineer the karts on Saturday evening, it's very likely that only the frame remains the same on Sunday morning. Always strikes me as a waste of time when our overnight work isn't re-checked.

As both a Clerk & a Steward I can only agree 100% with both Simon & Midgetman.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4070473)   #5
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worked great for the vast majority of us... then some idiot at Donington this year got caught with a set of belts two years out of date , declared 2026.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4070480)   #6
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post
Worked great for the vast majority of us... then some idiot at Donington this year got caught with a set of belts two years out of date , declared 2026.
Something that has happened in other countries too.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4070504)   #7
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, there’s always some numpty somewhere but the odd outlying car apart is that really why we have to go back to the Stone Age? As MM says very often wheels, setup, possibly roll cars, you name it, are changed after scrutineering so what is actually achieved that wasn’t by the self declaration concept?
What should have been done to the competitors who tried it on was that they were named and shamed and lost their licence for the rest of the year. That would have very quickly disabused those who might have been tempted.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4070506)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly.
To my mind the only people that should be looked at and looked at thoroughly, are the first timers, people that have never raced anything before, because at the moment they can sign the declaration genuinely not knowing that their car or their Helmet / Overalls etc have something terribly wrong with them.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 26 Aug 2021 at 16:59.
Old 26 Aug 2021, 18:08 (Ref:4070532)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
CSCC this weekend are only doing limited scrutineering (for one series, I think) - and coming to the competitors in the paddock. I agree that a more broad-brush approach, with limited spot-checking seems much more sensible....and anything that gets away from having to push a race car around first thing in the morning because of the "no racing engines" curfew has to be welcomed.....
Old 27 Aug 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4070601)   #10
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

An interesting article in yesterday’s Autosport on this very subject.
I think the CSCC and others doing maybe one series per event is a concept with legs, but in reality this idea of having your car scrutineered before a meeting, actually like quite a lot of regulations in motorsport, is a throwback to the “old days”.
Old 27 Aug 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4070618)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Simon and others , How many times have I said we need log books. Simple. Yes blooming simple !!!! but no body listens to me.
At the start of the year or your first race the car gets scrutineered. Any problems are reported and noted in log book. Next meeting you turn up with your car with log book and have completed any changes to the car. If you have an accident at a meeting the damage gets noted in log book and then again next meeting car gets checked. This system is used in hill climb and we run in Holland where there is one scrutineer and he can check 30 plus cars and he also races himself.
OK might take a bit of getting sorted and used to but this will solve all these issues.
See you in the Que at Oulton.
Old 27 Aug 2021, 09:09 (Ref:4070619)   #12
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Simon and others , How many times have I said we need log books. Simple. Yes blooming simple !!!! but no body listens to me.
At the start of the year or your first race the car gets scrutineered. Any problems are reported and noted in log book. Next meeting you turn up with your car with log book and have completed any changes to the car. If you have an accident at a meeting the damage gets noted in log book and then again next meeting car gets checked. This system is used in hill climb and we run in Holland where there is one scrutineer and he can check 30 plus cars and he also races himself.
OK might take a bit of getting sorted and used to but this will solve all these issues.
See you in the Que at Oulton.
Interesting Iain, did you know there is a log book in every HTP

Page 25 and 26 for reference........
Old 27 Aug 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4070622)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post
Then there's the issue of whether they're legit, copies, or mum sewed new tags on
Old 28 Aug 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4070748)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport tackles this online today. Don't know if you can read the link as it's possibly behind a paywall.

https://www.autosport.com/national/n...edoms/6653580/

Old 28 Aug 2021, 08:30 (Ref:4070751)   #15
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Ok, there’s always some numpty somewhere but the odd outlying car apart is that really why we have to go back to the Stone Age? As MM says very often wheels, setup, possibly roll cars, you name it, are changed after scrutineering so what is actually achieved that wasn’t by the self declaration concept?
What should have been done to the competitors who tried it on was that they were named and shamed and lost their licence for the rest of the year. That would have very quickly disabused those who might have been tempted.
Judging from the post it would appear the offenders were discovered. The system worked?