Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Sep 2021, 13:21 (Ref:4073263)   #1
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Touring Car Series entries/rumours that never happened

Just like the BTCC thread but for other Touring car Series, inspired by GP Rejects' latest article about the stillborn Brilliance WTCC entry in 2005.

That year of course, MG Rover were looking to enter the DTM, until they went bust.

Meant to put this in the Motorsport History section.

Last edited by Nononsensecapeesh; 12 Sep 2021 at 13:48.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4073361)   #2
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Volvo were supposed to enter the DTM in 2000 I think

Lada were originally going to enter WTCC in 2006

Campos Racing bought N.Technology’s Honda in 09, did they plan to race it?
Old 12 Sep 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4073372)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And there was the Onyx Ford WTCC project of 2014
Old 12 Sep 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4073373)   #4
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Volvo were supposed to enter the DTM in 2000 I think

Lada were originally going to enter WTCC in 2006

Campos Racing bought N.Technology’s Honda in 09, did they plan to race it?
Yes, the Zakspeed Volvo C70 intended for the 2000 DTM season.

N.Technology considered switching from the Alfa 156 to the 159 or the 147 before pulling out of the WTCC altogether.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4073401)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Alfa Romeo / AutoDelta were supposed to enter the 1998 BTCC with the 156 but they never materialised.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:10 (Ref:4073438)   #6
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2003 ETCC was meant to have a couple of Skoda Superb's enter but never happened
Old 12 Sep 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4073454)   #7
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoli View Post
2003 ETCC was meant to have a couple of Skoda Superb's enter but never happened
Wasn't there a Nissan entry that failed materialize that year?

Diesel-powered Lexus' were intended for the 2008 WTCC.
Old 13 Sep 2021, 06:27 (Ref:4073544)   #8
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Subaru was rumoured to enter WTCC in 2008-2011, apparently that project was cancelled after the 2011 Japanese earthquake
Old 13 Sep 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4073603)   #9
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Alfa Romeo looked into returning to the DTM more than once.
Old 14 Sep 2021, 18:45 (Ref:4073911)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford in the DTM 2001

Old 14 Sep 2021, 19:24 (Ref:4073921)   #11
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Citroen were linked with a DTM move before joining the WTCC
Old 17 Sep 2021, 00:29 (Ref:4074291)   #12
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TH Motorsport Skoda Octavia NGTC for Matt Hamilton in 2010 BTCC.

AMD Vauxhall Astra NGTC in BTCC 2013.

Jenson Button guesting in a Dynamics Civic (it was eventually Johnny Herbert/James Thompson/Gordon Shedden) in BTCC 2009.

Alfa entered 156s in BTCC 1998 but calendar changes meant date clashes so didn't show up.

RML works Ceverolet Cruze NGTC entry (the shell went to Andy Neate/IPTech)

Andy Rouse's SCV8 championship.
Jonathan Palmer's T1 Touring Car Championship.

Pilbeam built a Nissan Primera P12 S2000 WTCC touring car which Anthony Reid and Colin McRae did initial testing before Nissan scrapped the project and went to Rally Raid.

Rotek Ford Focus WTCC with Rob Holland.

Motorbase TCRUK, bought two Golf's, tested one, sold both in 3 months.

Last edited by medius; 17 Sep 2021 at 00:45.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 08:27 (Ref:4074325)   #13
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post

Jenson Button guesting in a Dynamics Civic (it was eventually Johnny Herbert/James Thompson/Gordon Shedden) in BTCC 2009.

Alfa entered 156s in BTCC 1998 but calendar changes meant date clashes so didn't show up.

Pilbeam built a Nissan Primera P12 S2000 WTCC touring car which Anthony Reid and Colin McRae did initial testing before Nissan scrapped the project and went to Rally Raid.

The TH Motorsport Skoda was intended for 2012.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4074327)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
The TH Motorsport Skoda was intended for 2012.
Yes -

Press Release
TH Motorsport are delighted to announce that they will be returning to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) with a Skoda Octavia VRS built to the new Next Generation Touring Car (NGTC) regulations.

Trevor Humphrey, Team Principal of Watford based TH Motorsport, who until recently were regulars in the BTCC, stated his intention to return to the Championship as soon as possible after the team's last race at Oulton Park in June 2010.

The intention is to complete the build of the Skoda Octavia VRS before the end of this year, ready to make a competitive entry in the 2012 Championship. TH Motorsport's driver from the 2009 and 2010 Championships, Matt Hamilton, will be entrusted with the development of the car, and will be the team's race driver in 2012.

Trevor Humphrey explains, 'we were very disappointed to have to leave the BTCC in 2010, and it was always my intention to return as soon as possible. I considered purchasing an S2000 car to run this year, but for a smaller team like us, it was a "no brainer" to be patient, and go the NGTC route. In the long run, the NGTC car will be much more cost effective to run, and with a structured development programme, I know that we can be competitive.'

'I am looking forward to working with Matt (Hamilton) again. I was very impressed with the way that Matt adapted to Touring Cars, and I know that he has huge potential. Our participation in the BTCC with a Next Generation Touring Car is a long term commitment. We are also considering the option of building a second car if a driver with competitive credentials was to show an interest'

'The whole team are thrilled at the prospect of being back in the BTCC, it's where we want to be'.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 19:46 (Ref:4074377)   #15
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:

Is that true about Jenson?
Old 17 Sep 2021, 20:03 (Ref:4074379)   #16
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is that true about Jenson?
Donington Park BTCC meeting, April 2000:

https://motorsport-images.smartframe.io/p/1017690778/ae379226c850655c47647f4af7a9f07c?source=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubW90b3JzcG9ydGltYWdlcy5jb20vcGhvdG8vMTAxNzY5 MDc3OC1yb3VuZHMtMy1hbmQtNC1kb25pbmd0b24vMTAxNzY5MDc3OC8/ZXZlbnRfaWQ9MjYxOTkx
Old 17 Sep 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4074383)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Bought one, photoshopped the other
Old 17 Sep 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4074384)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

I think Jenson was rumoured to be guesting with Team Dynamics in 05, not 09 and certainly not 2000

Would make more sense considering he was with BAR-Honda at the time
Old 17 Sep 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4074386)   #19
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
I think Jenson was rumoured to be guesting with Team Dynamics in 05, not 09 and certainly not 2000

Would make more sense considering he was with BAR-Honda at the time
I can see the logic in that.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 23:32 (Ref:4074406)   #20
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
<Snip>
<Snip>
If we're talking complete series that never happened, how about the proposed Procar series of silhouette saloon cars powered bt 3.5 litre F1 engines. At least the Alfa 164 got built and tested
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	70619
Old 18 Sep 2021, 09:11 (Ref:4074456)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Oh yes, wasn't that supposed to be a replacement for the ETCC? I know Patrese and Nannini gave a demonstration of the car at the 1988 Italian GP. And I think it was technically the Brabham BT57
Old 18 Sep 2021, 13:02 (Ref:4074473)   #22
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Oh yes, wasn't that supposed to be a replacement for the ETCC? I know Patrese and Nannini gave a demonstration of the car at the 1988 Italian GP. And I think it was technically the Brabham BT57
All of that is true.
Old 19 Sep 2021, 14:43 (Ref:4074667)   #23
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes -

Press Release
TH Motorsport are delighted to announce that they will be returning to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) with a Skoda Octavia VRS built to the new Next Generation Touring Car (NGTC) regulations.

Trevor Humphrey, Team Principal of Watford based TH Motorsport, who until recently were regulars in the BTCC, stated his intention to return to the Championship as soon as possible after the team's last race at Oulton Park in June 2010.

The intention is to complete the build of the Skoda Octavia VRS before the end of this year, ready to make a competitive entry in the 2012 Championship. TH Motorsport's driver from the 2009 and 2010 Championships, Matt Hamilton, will be entrusted with the development of the car, and will be the team's race driver in 2012.

Trevor Humphrey explains, 'we were very disappointed to have to leave the BTCC in 2010, and it was always my intention to return as soon as possible. I considered purchasing an S2000 car to run this year, but for a smaller team like us, it was a "no brainer" to be patient, and go the NGTC route. In the long run, the NGTC car will be much more cost effective to run, and with a structured development programme, I know that we can be competitive.'

'I am looking forward to working with Matt (Hamilton) again. I was very impressed with the way that Matt adapted to Touring Cars, and I know that he has huge potential. Our participation in the BTCC with a Next Generation Touring Car is a long term commitment. We are also considering the option of building a second car if a driver with competitive credentials was to show an interest'

'The whole team are thrilled at the prospect of being back in the BTCC, it's where we want to be'.
Btw anyone knows what's Matt Hamilton been up to since his short-lived BTCC career?
Old 19 Sep 2021, 16:15 (Ref:4074685)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

Good question. I feel he should have been able to have a longer BTCC career, he certainly had the talent
Old 19 Sep 2021, 18:47 (Ref:4074699)   #25
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Quote:
Alfa Romeo looked into returning to the DTM more than once.
I'm quite sure this was supposed to be in 2007.

Tags
touring car, unraced