Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Feb 2013, 01:53 (Ref:3198865)   #301
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Agreed but , within the rules , otherwise whats the point of having any . Either the car was legal or it was illegal .

Legal = keeps its place
Illegal = kicked out .

What is this teaching young people about sports ..... Shank does a Lance Armstrong and gets to keep his yellow sweater , utter crap !
By "Does a Lance", do you mean cheat better than than all other cheaters, win seven tours/races in a row and get "caught" years later? Very inaccurate comparison here. While I see your point, I was making no comment about whether or not his car was legal, just the fact that in a series built on parody, one team seemed to much faster than everyone else in the race, while the Shank team seemed to be penalized for being fastest in testing, and was clearly not the fastest in the race. What gives?
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3198871)   #302
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lance didn't cheat better---he was the best rider among a field of cheaters. He would have won on any level playing field, artificially elevated or not. What Lance did was be a monstrous richard to everybody who told the truth for several years, even suing people who tried to come clean, all while knowing he was as guilty as the rest.

Michael Shank might not even have known his engines weren't to spec----I hear he gets sealed engines from Roush.

Same thing happened in 201o to Dinan, who supplies Telmex and (and now) Sahlen's. Telmex was fined and docked points, even though the engines came out-of-spec from the shop.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3198873)   #303
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
in a series built on parody
I don't do this usually, but the word should be 'parity,' however 'parody' struck my as sort of funny in the overall scheme.

Fernandez was DQ from Second OA and in class at Sebring in 2008 for failing the airbox test. I believe they did not know they had a problem, or they would have fixed it-which would mean they would have lost positions anyway. When the airbox advantage took place would be difficult to ascertain, but calls their performance in the race into question.

I don't remember what year it was,'02 or 03, but the Olive Garden Ferrari went off at Road Atlanta in Petit and nosed the rail, and the crew was having to repair damage to the front of the car AND the airbox to be able to pass tech after the race.

Maybe a lesson in that, or not.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:14 (Ref:3198875)   #304
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Parody works well, definition-
Quote:
Something so bad as to be equivalent to intentional mockery; a travesty
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3198876)   #305
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Sure, the team lost both money and points (the points probably much more of a penalty), and the money they lost and were additionally fined goes to charity, noble thing indeed-BUT......the teams behind are in effect being penalized too. If the car that finished ahead of them didn't pass the rules, and they did, they in effect got penalized also by losing points and money. If I was 4th place or worse, I would be royally ticked off.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3198877)   #306
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Lance didn't cheat better---he was the best rider among a field of cheaters.
I fail to see the difference.
Quote:
He would have won on any level playing field, artificially elevated or not. What Lance did was be a monstrous richard to everybody who told the truth for several years, even suing people who tried to come clean, all while knowing he was as guilty as the rest
Lance is an SOB but I also fail to see what that really has to do with this discussion about the Rolex 24.

Quote:
Michael Shank might not even have known his engines weren't to spec----I hear he gets sealed engines from Roush.

Same thing happened in 201o to Dinan, who supplies Telmex and (and now) Sahlen's. Telmex was fined and docked points, even though the engines came out-of-spec from the shop.
Now ^that has merit to this discussion. So you are saying that it is possible that the Shank Team is being penalized for something they didn't necessarily do, other than bolt an illegal motor to their car, that was deemed illegal AFTER a 24 hour race plus three days of testing?
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:20 (Ref:3198879)   #307
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Parody works well, definition-
clinky clinky that is why it struck me, there was some irony to it.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:24 (Ref:3198880)   #308
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I don't do this usually, but the word should be 'parity,' however 'parody' struck my as sort of funny in the overall scheme.
Thanks...My English is dreadful...and yes, GA is a parody series.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 02:53 (Ref:3198887)   #309
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
If there is some interest in having teams visit from other parts of the world for events like 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring, similar to what happened in past years, it would seem to be discouraging if rules are not enforced. Or maybe it is encouraging-if you are only going to run a couple of events and don't therefore have any interest in season points, yank the restrictor or yank out weight, go for position and headlines, and just get hit with a fine for a penalty.

I can not imagine any manufacturer would be really happy in that environment.

I have heard there was rumbling about Petty's engine size in his stellar years, there was the same rumbling about Stewart's DFV displacement in 1971. I remember reading Brock Yates "Sunday Driver" where he was sitting with Bud Moore (I believe) who bragged that he knew how to defeat all of the tests for displacement by scrutineering, and he knew another dozen ways in case they upped their game.

I am one of those people that does not accept that it is ok, since everyone else is probably doing it too. No! I will however say that I will forever be impressed that Smokey Yunick built an exact 7/8's scale Chevelle, and almost got away with it.
Old 4 Feb 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3198897)   #310
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now Smokey Yunick was the best cheater among cheaters by a long shot.