Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Jul 2000, 14:15 (Ref:25224)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep,

After the serious battering that my bodywork suffered over the weekend. (Just shows what can happen when you've been away from home for two weeks)

We are all off to Oulton for 5th August. Anybody else going?

Old 24 Jul 2000, 14:52 (Ref:25233)   #2
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you trying to make me cry ?
My heads are being removed as we speak - to go back to from whence they came.....
I shall say no more , and just sulk quietly in my corner.
Old 24 Jul 2000, 15:59 (Ref:25250)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it you're not likely to make Oulton, Slowcoach? It'd be a shame if you don't get there - I was looking forward to having another home-grown hero to hobnob with and cheer on.

Anyone who's never been to one of these meetings before, it's high time you found out what you're missing. Anyone who has been will know damn well why they should be going to Oulton - c'mon it's a SATURDAY so there should be a minimal risk of clashes with other events.

Oh, and those who have never met my Maestro can do so if they so wish too
Old 24 Jul 2000, 17:18 (Ref:25261)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Maisie has already volunteered me to be at this one
Old 24 Jul 2000, 18:53 (Ref:25287)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Maisie
c'mon it's a SATURDAY so there should be a minimal risk of clashes with other events.
No, but it does rather clash with work, i'm afraid. Why are they running on a Saturday for god's sake ? Loads of people won't be able to get there due to work commitments
Old 25 Jul 2000, 12:28 (Ref:25512)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gives me a chance to chill out on Sunday and cut the grass. Actually saturday racing is a bit strange but I'm not complaining. Its the full circuit (I think).
Old 26 Jul 2000, 11:32 (Ref:25772)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there

Just to remind you all.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:40 (Ref:25835)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Still seems mighty strange to me. Are they not bothered about getting paying punters through the gate then ? And do you really want to cut the grass ?

Saturday evening would be cool though - ala ALMS @ Silverstone...
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:44 (Ref:25837)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well,

I have to cut the grass 'cos the gardener's on holiday.

if we ran at night I'd need to get the lights working properly.

Oulton is a busy circuit. Castle Combe runs a lot of Saturday meetings quite successfully. Just ask Graham and Lee. I think its due to the meeting being a BARC instead of BRSCC event and therefore the meeting has been pushed from the preferred day.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:48 (Ref:25839)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'd like to come along - if I, by some miracle, manage to blag the day off (very unlikely as i've already booked a day off for F1 testing) are we on for free tickets again ? And how about a paddock parking permit like that very nice Florian bloke got us at Donington... If you say yes, I might even bring Danielsun along to say hi!!
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:52 (Ref:25842)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Maisie and Chris get two tickets which leaves me with three. I need two so I would have a spare.

As to passes. I don't know if you need them. Seems to me that the tickets have a time limit (i.e. Use before 11.30 am) which means that you automatically get into the paddock. However, if I get more info I'll let you know.

Mind you. With only 1 ticket that would exclude Mr Dan wouldn't it? Please say it would.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 14:59 (Ref:25849)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't hold onto it on my behalf - I doubt i'll get the time off anyway As for the parking pass, I don't think it matters at Oulton as you park on the infield at club events anyway...
Old 26 Jul 2000, 18:01 (Ref:25912)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if Craig can't get the tiome off work can I get the other freebie ticket then
Old 26 Jul 2000, 20:24 (Ref:25941)   #14
sunbeam73
Rookie

England
MULBARTON, near NORWICH
sunbeam73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oulton classic

Oulton Park is one of those circuits that has to race mostly on Saturdays due to local / council restrictions.
Old 26 Jul 2000, 20:29 (Ref:25943)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thanks sunbeam - welcome along by the way!

Peter - if you've got a spare ticket looking for a new home, let Carrie have it! I can't guarantee i'll not be able to get the time off, but I doubt it. Anyway, she's much shorter than myself, and can easily let your competitors tyres down on the grid without being spotted...
Old 27 Jul 2000, 06:37 (Ref:26046)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Carrie,

pm your address and I will have it sent to you. Tell Maisie to do the same (cos I've got her address at home - not with me). If I get two car passes I can send one to you or Maisie.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 10:00 (Ref:26072)   #17
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll PM (Private Message not Peter Mallett) my address to you - cheers!!!!
Old 27 Jul 2000, 10:27 (Ref:26079)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just to make you talk to each other I'll send Carrie's to you as well.
Old 27 Jul 2000, 16:21 (Ref:26152)   #19
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well, what do you know ? Looks like i'll be able to pop along too... I got back to the office today to find that they were rejigging the Saturdays to work rota anyway, so i'm now working the following Saturday instead... hehe!
Old 28 Jul 2000, 07:39 (Ref:26366)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

OK then,

Will see if some tickets can be scrounged.
Old 28 Jul 2000, 19:30 (Ref:26515)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sorry Peter - I wasn't meaning OK i'm coming, where's me free tickets Though they'd be welcomed if you have any... however I don't mind paying my way - especially at club meetings, as it all helps the club pay the bills.

Not sure if Daniel is coming from his tone on the phone today - think he might be heading home before that reading between the lines ? But if he is, i'm sure he'd really like a compy ticket as he's a bit short of the old folding stuff I think. Reminds me actually - must ring him now about Sunday...
Old 31 Jul 2000, 10:19 (Ref:27200)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well. I've put a call out anyway.

PM yer address just in case.
Old 31 Jul 2000, 11:40 (Ref:27211)   #23
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
boo hoo - we're not there

Well I hope you all have a damn good time at Oulton - for some crazy - daft - stupid - probably political reason the classic FF1600 boys are not there (as you can tell I'm not best pleased about it. Went there last year for the first time ever and loved it). We're not officially part of the BARC classic package, it's got all the CSCC formulae (I think), Healeys, Classic FF2000 but not Classic FF1600. We do all the other rounds of the package except Oulton. It may be because we are a BRSCC/BARC formulae, mainly co-ordinated by the BRSCC (actually that may be a mutually exclusive statement) althought the bulk of our rounds are BARC events, confusing isn't it. So despite the fact that about half our grid are based in the North the furthest north(east) we travel this year in Cadwell.
On freebie tickets, if anybody ever wants them for any of our meetings drop me a line, we normally only need 2 or 3.
Remaining dates can be seen at http://www.classicformulaford.com
Old 31 Jul 2000, 14:14 (Ref:27233)   #24
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at Oulton Park too.
After the ignition problems and general diasppointment of Snetterton, the Boxrideg crew are replacing the ignition and putting it on the rolling road.
I am also testing on Friday pm.
GETTING SERIOUS!
I'll probably stuff the car during testing!

Last year it was wet and in practice I was having a nightmare, largely down to lack of confidence. After pulling into the pits to clean the windscreen, I went ago again with a sense of determination, tucked in behind some fast cars in my class. I followed them closely through the Island bends and back down to Knickerbrook. I screwed up the exit of Knickerbrook and they edged away. I went after them and went over the crest under the bridge at Cray Hill flat out in 3rd. (Nobody told me to lift in the wet!) and had an almighty spin and smash into the Armco on the left and ended in the tyres on the right, with my exhaust tail box lying in the wet grass sizzling like a sausage! The marshall went to pick it up and said "Sh1t! i'm not touching that it bloody hot!{In your best Mancunian accent}.

I'd mashed the left side of the car and destroyed a wheel.
It was a fine end to a miserable day...or so I had decided...The pit crew (Boxridge) had other ideas; hammered the car out and replaced the wheel.

The race was dry and I was running about 7th when on the 3rd lap, I made a mistake and tried to take the left handed at Cascades in 4th not 3rd. I grovelled through fighting understeer, but the car had filled with clouds of white smoke. I rolled to a stop and pulled off at the top of the circuit.
It turned out that the sump bolt had fallen out!
Had I gone through Cascades in 3rd the exhausts would have been red hot an dthe oil would have caught fire.
I had also left one the normal (starting) spark plugs in, which had I continued would have melted the tip and destroyed the engine!
Maybe Lucky

Hopefully better this time.

IanC
Old 31 Jul 2000, 14:39 (Ref:27237)   #25
SNH
Racer

England
Staffordshire, England
SNH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost all Oulton Park races are on a Saturday & have been for many years. I believe it's a local by law or council thing.