Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:22 (Ref:2259324)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NSW government approves V8 street race??/Homebush (merged)

The NSW State Government has given the greenlight for a V8 supercar street race to be held in Sydney.

It commissioned an operational plan for the event at a budget comittee meeting last night.

The event will see cars racing on a 3.5-kilometre street circuit around Olympic Park from next year.

The Minister for State Development, Ian Macdonald, says the amount of state government funding is yet to be negotiated, but he is confident the event will be be highly profitable.

"It's an ideal site for the holding of this race which draws massive support particularly in the western parts of Sydney," he said.

"We feel that it's a very good proposition and it will have excellent economic benefits for NSW."
Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:50 (Ref:2259329)   #2
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
but he is confident the event will be be highly profitable...
For who???

You've got to hand it to the Cochrane and his cronies. Slag Eastern Creek long enough and the mud sticks, so the suckers in Macquarie Street fall for the spin and open up the public purse for a street race.

Maybe we should get Cochrane to lobby for hospitals and teachers. He's bloody good at it...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2259344)   #3
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
GreaseMonkey99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be a great event.
The Creek has been a disaster. I know I was one of the 6 people who went this year.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2259356)   #4
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely nothing wrong with the NSW Government spending a motza on a street race when there is a perfectly good circuit down the road, is there? The idiots are already about $20 billion dollars in debt so whatever they spend on a street race at Homebush will not even be noticeable.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2259368)   #5
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great state government we have. Hospital beds not been used and in debt up to their ears. I am glad that they asked the people of NSW first.
No doubt there will be plenty of feebies for the politicians and I hope that they have a table set aside for them or there could be another Iguana (spelling) affair
Old 29 Jul 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2259395)   #6
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
You guys must know how much the gov't is spending then. And obviously the money would be ok instead of for hospitals as long as it was spent at EC?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2259428)   #7
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome!!!!!!!!

Finally an EVENT for Sydney to be proud of. If it is half as good as Clipsal then it will be a resounding success.

To all those at Eastern Creek - you couldn't attract a crowd because you venue sucks - I can't see how EC made any money out of V8supercar with the poor crowds that attended - so I can't see this good decision will affect EC anyway - we keep being told the circuit is booked up for most of the year - a win for the fans in this case.

I now have an event to invite my friends to, and interstate mates to, that i'm not ashamed of.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2259434)   #8
GreaseMonkey99
Rookie

Australia
Damn straight
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2259437)   #9
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When's the next election in NSW due?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 09:40 (Ref:2259441)   #10
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
When's the next election in NSW due?
The next NSW State Election is not due until after the next federal elections... a couple of years at least.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2259518)   #11
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pity - although I guess any proposed race may well have a life equal to that of Canberra then...
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2259524)   #12
DRG
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
DRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear the majority of EC critics feel the track is OK from a driver's perspective but abyssmal from a spectator's point of view where a very small percentage of the trackis visible from any spectator area. I agree with this argument however in my experience street circuits provide great atmosphere but the worst views for spectators where you will see only one corner if you are lucky. How will Homebush be any different ?

The event will also be a "public transport only" situation where no-one will be able to drive to the circuit. As a Sydney-sider I highly doubt I would bother going to Homebush, it may be better to watch on TV.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2259525)   #13
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like The Black Wiggle has finally cracked the big time. Anyone could convince the Adelaide folk that a street race is good. And the Qld and NZ folk aint too hard to please either.

In the words of Paul Keating. "If you're not in Sydney, you're camping out"

Now Black One, time to put up or shut up. You've in the big league now. Let's hope it does not rain because we all know how fickle the NSW paying spectator is.....

I hope it works.....really....I do.

Now where will TBW get all the race officials he needs to run a street event from? Eastern Creek?......doubt it.....
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2259532)   #14
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL, public transport only eh? I highly doubt they will make corporate customers shuffle in and out on the trains with the rest of Joe Public. I'm betting they will have special shuttle bus areas for the corporates while the rest of the spectators make their way any way they can.....
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2259536)   #15
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Now the reason I ask about officials is because it take a heck lot more to run a street event. Over in SA you can run Mallala with two men and a dog but it takes around 700 to run The Clipsal.

I doubt there's enough marshals in NSW to cover a street circuit. Especially since all the Eastern Creek marshals will feel so hard done by, they wont want to know. It might be hard finding interstate marshals to attend Homebush considering they can choose to spend their annual leave at The Clipsal, Indy, AGP, Bathurst, any three day meeting in their home state etc.....

TBW is going to have to make this event so bloody special to make people want to turn up..... I watch with interest and hope he can pull a very special rabbit from his hat.....
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2259542)   #16
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
But at the end of the day, who cares if there's enough marshals? The race will go on. The only time you'll notice is when it takes someone 30 minutes to get a car off the wall and onto a lift tow and the race ends because we run out of TV time.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2259564)   #17
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think there will be a problem with officials.
Most would be proud to be part of Sydney's first street race.

A far as getting in and out of the event by private or public transport there will be no problem at all. I have been to many 100,000+ crowds for the Rugby Union tests, while a international concert was on at the Super Dome in the one night(200,000), so 25,000 people for a motor race event will have no impact. lol. The Olympics and the easter show also spring to mind.

Park in Silverwater Industrial and walk for 30 mins and your there. Easy.

I can't wait to play some pool at 'The Clancy' with the sound of some serious racing going on at the end of the street.
Hope the GT's are there for a race or two.

BTW the only thing wrong with spectating at the creek is your not close enough. But , if you stand on the outside of the track on turn 3-4 as they go over the underpass your close to the action.You can see almost all of the track from turn 1 which is pretty good. Enjoy what you have...and stop whinging about it.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2259566)   #18
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
What would happen if all the Bathurst ferals decide that they must support the event in force. Now this is THE Premiere event in THE Premiere State so there's a big chance that you'll find thousands out utes heading into Sydney for the event.....But did they bother fitting an off switch for the "Light up a bloody runway" spot lights the run on the bullbars?

Now The Black Wiggle might be able to hide this kind of fan on the other side of the Great Dividing Range at Bathurst, but although he can count them attending at Homebush, (Maybe 3 or 4 times) would he want to?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2259577)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i will be going but i can't say i support it over doing up EC or building a new track to replace OP.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2259582)   #20
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i will be going but i can't say i support it over doing up EC or building a new track to replace OP.
Wrong on one level Pro. By going to the race you're supporting it but since EC and OP have no race......Well, think about it.

But on another level, you don't have a choice. It's the only V8SC event in town.

Hey Pro, we wont hang you for attending. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2259588)   #21
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
What would happen if all the Bathurst ferals decide that they must support the event in force. Now this is THE Premiere event in THE Premiere State so there's a big chance that you'll find thousands out utes heading into Sydney for the event.....But did they bother fitting an off switch for the "Light up a bloody runway" spot lights the run on the bullbars?

Now The Black Wiggle might be able to hide this kind of fan on the other side of the Great Dividing Range at Bathurst, but although he can count them attending at Homebush, (Maybe 3 or 4 times) would he want to?
Most of the "ferals" come from Victoria and they don't go to Adelaide do they?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2259612)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Wrong on one level Pro. By going to the race you're supporting it but since EC and OP have no race......Well, think about it.

But on another level, you don't have a choice. It's the only V8SC event in town.

Hey Pro, we wont hang you for attending. Enjoy the weekend.
thats my whole point there is nothing else to go to if OP was still going i wouldn't go, admitedly i got Bathurst and thats why it wouldn't have worried me as much (would have a little but not much) if it didn't go ahead but it's there so i may aswell go others will so by me boycotting it i'm not going to change TC's mind.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2259628)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
thats my whole point there is nothing else to go to if OP was still going i wouldn't go, admitedly i got Bathurst and thats why it wouldn't have worried me as much (would have a little but not much) if it didn't go ahead but it's there so i may aswell go others will so by me boycotting it i'm not going to change TC's mind.
I won't be missing it ... you got room at your place, Pro?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2259680)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm convinced it would not have mattered one bit what EC did or didn't do. They had to be rubbished in any way possible to get that street race.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2259793)   #25
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think everyone is getting carried away. The government still have more work to do and I bet the event never happens because they wont give as much money as V8SC want.