Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Jul 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2259993)   #26
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife

Any word on who they are getting to design the layout?
Old 29 Jul 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2259999)   #27
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Any word on who they are getting to design the layout?
Michael Costa.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2260003)   #28
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the layout...

Please please tell me that the cars will enter the main stadium like runners do in a marathon. They do a lap, then exit it in the same area. They then have to do slalom work around those blue lights (heck they can change the lights to be blue, red, blue red..haha). They then have to pass through some waterlogged area, then after that a 100 metre sprint. The pit lane will be sponsored by an energy drink, and the driver has to get out, do a change of clothing (suit, helmet and shoes) and throw a javelin into his pit crews assigned target area.

Oh yeah - the final touch to this olympic motor racing story - get HG and Roy to commentate!

Oh yeah, and if you want to draw parallels to the Canberra event where they (innocently) designed the layout to match a GMC drill, then they have to design the rest of the layout (not forgetting my gold up above there) to look like olympic rings.

So lets see. We have -
  • A lap of the olympic stadium (marathon)
  • A slalom (winter olympics, i know...but)
  • A swiimming event (yep, the waterlogged area)
  • 100 metre sprint (track n field)
  • Pit lane energy drink sponsor, and clothing changing ritual (triathalon)
  • Javelin in the pits (athletics)
  • HG and Roy commentary. Something every olympics should have
  • Track designed with the olympic rings

GOLD GOLD GOLD I say.

I wonder what the trophys would be...
Old 30 Jul 2008, 00:34 (Ref:2260013)   #29
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nedos has something there.........

There's a large set of doors in the aquatic centre where large plant can be driven onto the pool deck.

Put a ramp on the outside so the cars can get onto 2 wheels (cycling) and then run straight into the pool (diving).

They can then remove their helmet and ping it over the side (water polo) and then remove themselves from the pool (swimming).

The trophies can be plaster casts of Thorpie's feet, with gold spraypaint flaking off to match the condition of the state the event is held in.

Post race celebrations will consist of the first five finishers doing overlapping donuts with special tyres generating gold smoke.

Seriously, I think this is the wrong call, but for the sake of motor racing generally, I hope it succeeds.

Public transport will be the way to go, the trains are an excellent way of shifting large numbers of people out of the area quickly and the ferals can sit in the pools of cat **** the rest of us endure on a daily basis.

Finally, I hope a shady deal has been done to bring this all about and upon exposure, takes the black wiggle away with it.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 02:28 (Ref:2260032)   #30
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the track layout already sorted? Mark Skaife designed it if I recall. I think someone even did a lap of the proposed circuit in their road car...?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 02:38 (Ref:2260034)   #31
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go....why not?

For me I dont care how much it costs to put on, its a live V8 race in a new place. Having travelled to Clipsal a couple of times if they could get it to compete with that then it would stay on the calendar for a good few years.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 04:14 (Ref:2260056)   #32
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Looks like The Black Wiggle has finally cracked the big time. Anyone could convince the Adelaide folk that a street race is good. And the Qld and NZ folk aint too hard to please either.

In the words of Paul Keating. "If you're not in Sydney, you're camping out"

Now Black One, time to put up or shut up. You've in the big league now. Let's hope it does not rain because we all know how fickle the NSW paying spectator is.....

I hope it works.....really....I do.

Now where will TBW get all the race officials he needs to run a street event from? Eastern Creek?......doubt it.....
Good Point about the officals as a offical I might turn up if there is discounted accommodation for us..... doubt it..... at least at indy we get discounted accommodation at the camp ground.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 06:07 (Ref:2260074)   #33
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is so funny reading the post by people that dont want to support the Homebush Street Race.

If you don't want to support it, dont go. Feel free to miss out on the carnival atmosphere, the excited packed grandstands full of atmosphere, oh and did I mention the atmosphere ?

E.C has no atmosphere.

Who knows how long V8supercars will be around for ? I don't know. So for gods sake, get out there and enjoy this EVENT for what it is while we still have petrol and while we still have a good entertaining bunch of race catagories at our disposal.

Personally, I cant wait to see it. Melbourne, Adelaide & Surfers Paradise have had their big events where the city gets behind them - It is Sydney's turn. I know of at least four interstate friends who will be coming to my city attend my event.

Good on you Tony C. You've at least given Sydney siders a chance to attend an enjoyable event. E.C is not enjoyable, even for the most diehard fans its processional, smelly and boring. The only cars I've ever been excited about around E.C are A1GP - they were awesome round turn one... but our Aussie catagories, well, they just dont suit the layout.

Like I've said before, this wont kill E.C, With Oran Park closing its sure to be fully booked through out the year. E.C is a great track to drive, its just a **** hole to sit and watch domestic motorsport at. The paying public deserve better and thanks to Tony C we now have a better venue and an event to be very proud of.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2260079)   #34
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Good Point about the officals as a offical I might turn up if there is discounted accommodation for us..... doubt it..... at least at indy we get discounted accommodation at the camp ground.

Offical Who'd spell it like that?

Sorry folks an "In Joke" I still have my "Offical" hat from the V8SC race and my CAMS "Offical" note book.

Good luck to TBW. He's in the big league now. Time for the Sydney fans to get behind the event.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:03 (Ref:2260174)   #35
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Your dreaming, V8SC's do anything for Marshalls? Cheap accomm in Sydney, yer right.

lets see, a street race, how many marshalls would be required?.

I know Indy have done Talabudg again, can't see Overpriced Sydney doing anything.

Discounted accom was 450 p/ night, now 445 p/night.

Can't wait for the tradditional owners to lay claim to Homebush.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2260178)   #36
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
Your dreaming, V8SC's do anything for Marshalls? Cheap accomm in Sydney, yer right.

lets see, a street race, how many marshalls would be required?
Around 1100 at the AGP and 700 at The Clipsal.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2260203)   #37
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the question was 'How many are NEEDED' not how many turn up.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2260658)   #38
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
It is so funny reading the post by people that dont want to support the Homebush Street Race.

If you don't want to support it, dont go. Feel free to miss out on the carnival atmosphere, the excited packed grandstands full of atmosphere, oh and did I mention the atmosphere ?

E.C has no atmosphere.

Who knows how long V8supercars will be around for ? I don't know. So for gods sake, get out there and enjoy this EVENT for what it is while we still have petrol and while we still have a good entertaining bunch of race catagories at our disposal.

Personally, I cant wait to see it. Melbourne, Adelaide & Surfers Paradise have had their big events where the city gets behind them - It is Sydney's turn. I know of at least four interstate friends who will be coming to my city attend my event.

Good on you Tony C. You've at least given Sydney siders a chance to attend an enjoyable event. E.C is not enjoyable, even for the most diehard fans its processional, smelly and boring. The only cars I've ever been excited about around E.C are A1GP - they were awesome round turn one... but our Aussie catagories, well, they just dont suit the layout.

Like I've said before, this wont kill E.C, With Oran Park closing its sure to be fully booked through out the year. E.C is a great track to drive, its just a **** hole to sit and watch domestic motorsport at. The paying public deserve better and thanks to Tony C we now have a better venue and an event to be very proud of.
Whatever. I don't actually go along to see EVENTS as you put it, I go along to see racing. And if you suck just a bit harder you might actually see TBW smile.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2260667)   #39
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People complain about EC being poor for spectators, well street circuits are rubbish for viewing with only a clear line of sight for a corner or three.

The layout from what i can see looks pretty boring, but i am hopeful this event translates well from paper to reality.

But personally i am a little disappointed that this is another example of the country's leading race series is not supporting an existing circuit.

Crazy idea, but would rather see money and support behind improving EC or developing Wakefield
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2260755)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think you are confused OZ_HCR32 the v8 have supported EC for as long as it has been around. Unfortunatly the people of sydney have voted with their feet and they dont want to watch the v8s at EC.

The track has just as much responsibliity to support the series and it hasnt so the series is leaving

Last edited by peckstar; 31 Jul 2008 at 07:20.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2261103)   #41
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think everyone is getting well ahead of themselves. There are still a number of steps to happen before the event is approved and I am willing to bet that when the government does all the sums, they wont do it. For all the talk and coverage, everything I have read from the government still doesnt convince me it will happen and as much as I love the sport, as a resident of NSW, I would prefer to see the government spend money on a lot of other things than this because I am not convinced that many people would go. Sydney has always been the weakest market and that hasnt changed. People go to homebush for big football matches but V8s are not in the same arena. It also seems ironic that the only media outlet giving the sydney race any coverage is the telegraph......who V8s do all their advertising with - or has there been some substantial coverage in the sydney morning herald? Thats a genuine question - I havent seen any??
Old 31 Jul 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2261325)   #42
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
Whatever. I don't actually go along to see EVENTS as you put it, I go along to see racing. And if you suck just a bit harder you might actually see TBW smile.
Then go to Eastern Creek mate and watch your racing. E.C will still be there and I'm under no disillusion the place would be amazing to drive around, unfortunately it just doesn't pull a good crowd.

I've been going to Clipsal for years, its a great place - yes you dont see the full track, but its about enjoying the segments of the track as you walk around it, and being close to the cars, and having the reverberation of the noise bouncing off the walls, you feel so much a part of it.

More people will turn up to the Homebush Event then an Eastern Creek Non-Event.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2261386)   #43
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good points Da Moo. I'd prefer govt money go into permanent facilities than on labour putting up barricades & temp grandstands. If the Homebush event would be so great V8SC could fund it...

Re the EC non-event, perhaps its time to go back to the days of the Triple Challenge
Old 1 Aug 2008, 04:47 (Ref:2261422)   #44
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32
People complain about EC being poor for spectators, well street circuits are rubbish for viewing with only a clear line of sight for a corner or three.
Have to agree here. The track was built with Grand Prix racing in mind, and name another GP circuit where you can see most of the track from the one vantage point.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2261558)   #45
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Phillip Island.

Go stand at turn 7. You can watch the action from the control line right up the the hay shed and only miss out on the northern loop.

Not bad for a 4.5 kay track.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2263020)   #46
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Phillip Island.

Go stand at turn 7. You can watch the action from the control line right up the the hay shed and only miss out on the northern loop.

Not bad for a 4.5 kay track.
Where's turn 7? I went to PI for the first time this year and struggled to find a spot where i could see more than half the track.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2263229)   #47
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any series race program or google maps will find turn seven.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2263531)   #48
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the spectating at PI was brilliant... go stand down near the flag point exiting the eastern loop, you can see the front straight eastern loop, right through to the hay shed etc.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 06:16 (Ref:2263550)   #49
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Turn 7. Exit of Siberia.

Start of the back straight or thereabouts.

Not that the back straight is straight either...
Old 5 Aug 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2263840)   #50
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Turn 7. Exit of Siberia.

Start of the back straight or thereabouts.

Not that the back straight is straight either...
have a look at any of the In Pit Lane footage of the F5000s and you can see what you'll see from that point. I always shoot from there as it gives you a great view plus you can get some really good still shots from the spectator areas. Also you can drive your car up to the Lukey heights section and get some good views there as well.
In fact we can cover pretty much the whole track with 4 cameras, Sandown takes at least six.