Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: F1 style, or keep it as it is?
Change it to F1 style, or similar 18 78.26%
Keep it as it is 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2583192)   #1
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Podium Presentations

Why does the network guy do the podium presentations?

I've been thinking, it really does look and sound like amatuer hour. I have not heard a unique question/answer up there on the podium in years.

Add to this, the network covering the championship has nothing to do with the championship itself, nothing to do with VESA itself... What is he doing up there? It doesn't really make any sence, does it? The network is meant to cover the event - I don't know how else to explain it, it might have been appropriate years ago, but I would have thought our championship was past this amatuer way of presenting our winners, and it's really not much of a television spectical.

F1 style would be the way to go. Honoraries delivering the trophies to the podium with maybe a voice over followed by the spraying of the champaign. No network dude, no speaches. Couple this with maybe more cameras and microphones in the crowds so we can really see, hear and feel the crowds reactions when the winner recieves their trophy would be the way to go (rather than one camera on the team below and hearing one faint clap from the crowd a mile away - makes it look/feel like a local karting presentation on the telly).

To wind it up guys, I also propose that instead of the "going though the motions" speach we suffer every weekend on the podium, that the network dedicate some airtime to the post-race press conference ala F1, so us the viewer can get a true de-brief of the days events with intelligent and true feedback from the drivers.

A true celebration and true press conference coverage. That's how it should be done!

What do you think?
Old 16 Nov 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2583200)   #2
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point. Its more of a problem now we have twice the number of podium presentations...

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2583212)   #3
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO they should ban drivers from thanking their sponsors and then being given airtime to reel them off one by one it's just not necessary.

Covering the press conference in its present form with questions from the floor, wouldn't make for great television and the devotees can always pick these up on the net.

But a F1 style 3-4 minute press conference with one person asking the questions would be more beneficial.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2583247)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
change to F1 for mine, i like the way they do it.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2583249)   #5
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Thing is though, the bulk of the F1 podium is the anthems. Would they just play the Australian anthem every time?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2583266)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are some Kiwi's so might hear the Kiwi anthem from time to time.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 01:41 (Ref:2583277)   #7
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the Kiwi anthem? Baa-baa Black Sheep?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 02:55 (Ref:2583296)   #8
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony View Post
Jokes about New Zealand and sheep were funny 10 years ago.
and im not even from New Zealand or Australia for that matter
Old 17 Nov 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2583307)   #9
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony View Post
Isn't it "God Defend New Zealand".....because we can't defend ourselves!!

Leave the podium as is - Berreta doesnt do a bad job and at least it keeps him away from commentary! Then telecast the Press Conference with one person asking the questions.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2583331)   #10
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Thing is though, the bulk of the F1 podium is the anthems. Would they just play the Australian anthem every time?
They could write a Ford 'song' and a Holden 'song' and play that. Wouldn't put it past VESA
Old 17 Nov 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2583360)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still get a laugh from remembering the Indy podium last year after the IndyCar race... Beretts was talking to Scott Dixon and made an all to common terrible joke about him being "from" Australia.

Dixon didn't even give him the time of day and talked about his race. GOLD.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2583458)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i cant see any real reason to goto the F1 style, but at the same time, the V8 style is a bit dull also

the F1 style almost puts me to sleep, yes the interviews can be interesting afterwards, but can be dull also

same as with the v8 podium, maybe the two in one weekend has made things even duller though, especially if similar people get up
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2583482)   #13
platinum motors
Rookie

Australia
Perth, WA
platinum motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somebody needs to shoot Baretta !!!!!!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2583519)   #14
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we even need a podium at half the events. Perhaps just do a NASCAR style presentation except for the big events when a podium is required.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2583558)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was wrong with the Top 3 just pulling up at the start/finish line after the slow-down lap and getting interviewed on the spot about their race?

Then for the fans at the track they had the usual 'podium' afterwards with all the sponsor formalties.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2583738)   #16
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033 View Post
Do we even need a podium at half the events. Perhaps just do a NASCAR style presentation except for the big events when a podium is required.
Now a Victory Lane style presentation like they have in NASCAR, IRL and the like over in the USA would be far better in my opinion. It would allow the guys and girls who work on the car to join in the celebrations, rather than being held back whilst one bloke, usual the drivers engineer, gets to go up and get his man out of the car and so on. In the mean time they can interview the 2nd and 3rd place holders whilst they're setting up "Victory Lane" or "Winner's Circle".
Old 18 Nov 2009, 04:38 (Ref:2583950)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the F1 press conference and I believe something similar would be good for V8s.

TC might not like the F1 style podium presentation, all those Australian flags and the Australian anthem might stop the true believers from thinking this is a truly international global touring car formula.

One thinking that really makes the V8 presentations look lame is when you can hear a small number of people clapping and cheering. If you can't thousands of people clapping and cheering, you shouldn't hear any. It seems amateurish otherwise.

The worst part of the V8 presenation is the booing from a few drunken idiots. They obviously don't understand the point of a boo. It should be saved for cheats, rule breakers and poor sports. If you boo someone just because he plays for the opposing team, then you diminish the meaning and thus the impact of a boo.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2584075)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
One thinking that really makes the V8 presentations look lame is when you can hear a small number of people clapping and cheering. If you can't thousands of people clapping and cheering, you shouldn't hear any. It seems amateurish otherwise.
Indeed! The very reason V8 TV started to play an applause soundtrack during podium presentations. Actually I haven't heard this recently, but it used to be more prominent. It sounded ridiculous because the soundtrack was taken from what sounded like a concert applause, which is a completely different sound.

But what the "punters" don't know won't hurt them.

Old 18 Nov 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2584626)   #19
Tucky70
Rookie

Australia
Qld
Tucky70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Indeed! The very reason V8 TV started to play an applause soundtrack during podium presentations. Actually I haven't heard this recently, but it used to be more prominent. It sounded ridiculous because the soundtrack was taken from what sounded like a concert applause, which is a completely different sound.

But what the "punters" don't know won't hurt them.
I notice they are using the "soundtrack" applause during the Super X Motorcross broadcasts. They even play fake crowd noises during the races.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2585688)   #20
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And they use those applause soundtracks on the Mr T infomercial.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 22 Nov 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2586994)   #21
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone see the Nationwide coverage/presentations on ONE this morning?
Compare that to the club meet race day style preso we had yet again yesterday and today...

Judging by this pole VESA need to look at this with a bit of seriousness. It's not 1988 and we're not at Lakeside on the back of a trailer anymore, well we shouldnt be anyway...
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2587662)   #22
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
Did anyone see the Nationwide coverage/presentations on ONE this morning?
Compare that to the club meet race day style preso we had yet again yesterday and today...
Yep it's quite good in nationwide.

When they stopped the top 3 cars on the track, did the interviews, then drove around with the hand out the window that was a bit better system at least in Aussie land, they should go back to that
Old 24 Nov 2009, 02:07 (Ref:2588174)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of years ago the Top 3 drivers used to do a victory lap after the race, what happened to that??
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Nov 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2588185)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
A couple of years ago the Top 3 drivers used to do a victory lap after the race, what happened to that??
Might have to do with the tight time deadlines at the end of the coverage.

After watching Barbagallo on the weekend, I wish there was less rooting around between qualifying/support races and the race. Watching cars sit on the grid... joy! I turned over and watched some fishing show on channel 1.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 04:56 (Ref:2588213)   #25
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the drivers were allowed to be themselves and fool around, the driver intros at the start of the round (like Bathurst) could be included every round. This way the lesser known drivers get introduced to the non-diehards, and personalities come out.

As for the podium, keep it simple. I agree, Ch7's funny guy shouldn't be up there.... How about bringing in Moffat, Johnson, Seton, JRichards, etc to do the honours?

A <10 minute post race conference on the telecast would be a nice addition, as long as it wasn't justa roll out of sponsorship worship (podium is OK for these mentions).

Lastly, Bring Back the Winners BURNOUT!
Let the winner celebrate!!