Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Aug 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3841380)   #51
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought he was already doing that.

Seemed to venture offline under brakes quite frequently until Mr van Gisbergen eventually got by.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3841382)   #52
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The racing was good, the cars looked good, good crowd turned up.

Well done James Warburton.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3841383)   #53
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scotty= the bride on Saturday
Scotty= bridesmaid Sunday

His Qualifying is exceptional
Old 4 Aug 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3841385)   #54
Dixon9
Rookie

Dixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDixon9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Not the first time it has happened, almost like his teammate at the last round, but no blinker on this time.

Lowndes/Whincup/Van Gisbergen/Tander/Courtney etc etc in the current field would not have left the room to let SvG past, and most certainly not let Mw Whincup past also.
If you're seriously comparing tonight to Fabian's surrender the moment a fizzy drink car appeared in his mirrors then I see no point in pursuing this.

Courtney wouldn't have let Giz pass because he isn't good enough to run up there in the first place, and he causes most of the crashes anyway.

McLaughlin isn't going to win championships by being penalised for running blokes off the road. Giz himself was saved from a championship ruining penalty by McLaughlin saving the car when he was bumped.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3841465)   #55
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Fell asleep before half race distance.....goes on too late for old people...
Nice bottle of wine I drank though...
Old 5 Aug 2018, 00:35 (Ref:3841497)   #56
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Aug 2018, 00:50 (Ref:3841500)   #57
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie View Post
The racing was good, the cars looked good, good crowd turned up.

Well done James Warburton.
Boy was I wrong about this events crowd drawing potential.Based on every NRL club saying they will always get much bigger crowds on a Sunday afternoon than for a night time match I was certain that the crowd would be lucky to match the low numbers of the last 4 years at the track and that it was a made for TV exercise.Supercars must not have been confident either judging by the large area of the circuit-Turn 5 round to Turn 12- they fenced off from spectator access.Not sure if it was the novelty factor or if they have hit on a winning formula but it certainly removes doubt about the future of Supercars at the Creek for the medium term at least.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 00:53 (Ref:3841501)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Video of the #35 Wing Failure
Old 5 Aug 2018, 01:08 (Ref:3841504)   #59
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Boy was I wrong about this events crowd drawing potential.Based on every NRL club saying they will always get much bigger crowds on a Sunday afternoon than for a night time match I was certain that the crowd would be lucky to match the low numbers of the last 4 years at the track and that it was a made for TV exercise.Supercars must not have been confident either judging by the large area of the circuit-Turn 5 round to Turn 12- they fenced off from spectator access.Not sure if it was the novelty factor or if they have hit on a winning formula but it certainly removes doubt about the future of Supercars at the Creek for the medium term at least.
I may or may not have heard that one of the NRL's "blockbuster" matches only pulled 6,000 punters through the gate this weekend.

I think this is a win for Supercars. Probably wasn't perfect, but all the ingredients were there. 34,000 people into any outdoor event on a freezing night is doing bloody well.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 01:28 (Ref:3841507)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Fact, fiction or funny? Maybe some from each column
Old 5 Aug 2018, 02:11 (Ref:3841511)   #61
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought Scotty drove a close to perfect race, probably would have won without the safety car, then when he realised he was a lamb to the slaughter to three 888 cars attacking, remembered the big picture and copped a podium. Imagine if he had a team mate or two to give him a hand.

Crowd levels were phenomenal, most I've seen in ten years. Apparently getting out of the car park was nothing short of a disgrace though, over an hour just to get to the road is a crap by anyone's reckoning.

Overall a great event, well done to Supercars and for the most, the ARDC. Get ready for a summer calendar....

Sidenote: Red Rooster would have made their money back on sponsoring the event on the mark-up of their food at their vendor stand. Sydney airport vendors would have blushed at those prices.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 03:08 (Ref:3841515)   #62
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Apparently getting out of the car park was nothing short of a disgrace though, over an hour just to get to the road is a crap by anyone's reckoning.
It's worse at Queensland Raceway
Old 5 Aug 2018, 05:17 (Ref:3841522)   #63
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Boy was I wrong about this events crowd drawing potential.Not sure if it was the novelty factor or if they have hit on a winning formula but it certainly removes doubt about the future of Supercars at the Creek for the medium term at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I think this is a win for Supercars. Probably wasn't perfect, but all the ingredients were there. 34,000 people into any outdoor event on a freezing night is doing bloody well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Crowd levels were phenomenal, most I've seen in ten years. Apparently getting out of the car park was nothing short of a disgrace though, over an hour just to get to the road is a crap by anyone's reckoning.
Sounds like after quite a few years struggling to get a crowd at SMP & EC before that, this event delivered. Maybe it was having it at night, maybe it was compressing it largely into 1 day (night), who knows?

From Supercars perspective, definitely worth persevering with the format and growing it if they can - time will tell if this is a flash in the pan or is sustainable over multiple years.

I'm not surprised at the "getting out of the car park" issue - given low crowds at SMP in the past, planning would have been based on that. They'll know better for next year and no doubt address the cause of the issue (if it can be rectified of course).
Old 5 Aug 2018, 05:47 (Ref:3841525)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 5 Aug 2018, 05:49 (Ref:3841526)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:36 (Ref:3841546)   #66
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were 9 support races to the Supercars.

Porsches only won 8 of them. Such variety!
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3841548)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3841552)   #68
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post

I'm not surprised at the "getting out of the car park" issue - given low crowds at SMP in the past, planning would have been based on that. They'll know better for next year and no doubt address the cause of the issue (if it can be rectified of course).

There was NO planning. There were more little hitlers than you could poke a stick when we got there and not a single one anywhere to direct traffic after.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:20 (Ref:3841556)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
There was NO planning. There were more little hitlers than you could poke a stick when we got there and not a single one anywhere to direct traffic after.
You could get out via the Park n View piece onto Peter Brock Drive easily enough...
Old 5 Aug 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3841558)   #70
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You could get out via the Park n View piece onto Peter Brock Drive easily enough...
Peter Brock Drive?? I thought that venue was a housing development and business park??
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3841562)   #71
Umai Naa
Veteran

Take your pick.

One's in Huntingwood, t'other is at what we used to know as Oran Park.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 10:43 (Ref:3841568)   #72
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Successful event but it begs the question, do you start rolling this format out into many other series events, or do you use it at one or two others to keep the novelty factor rather than make it the "norm" and the novelty could wear off?

Quote:
Wasn't the limited allocation to that sold out prior to the event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Peter Brock Drive?? I thought that venue was a housing development and business park??
It is, but there is a driveway in between two buildings which is an access point into the circuit and access to the parking area on the main straight car park.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:12 (Ref:3841574)   #73
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Friends of mine who went said the same thing. No one to direct traffic and a number of them took two hours to get out of there. Pretty poor organisation.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3841576)   #74
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well that's not good. Mind you, with the smaller crowds of previous years, maybe that approach worked OK. I reckon they'll be looking at a whole bunch of detail improvements for future years and clearly that needs to be one of them.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 00:04 (Ref:3841752)   #75
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congrats to SMP for putting on a great event that by all accounts has been well received with the fans.

My only question is, what makes 33,000 a rousing success on the weekend whilst 29,530 at the 2007 Eastern Creek event a massive failure?