Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2003, 17:26 (Ref:561872)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My confidence is slipping

Brazil was the first time that my confidence in Juan Pablo Montoya has slipped. He was on a par with Raikkonen at the start and both blew the rest away in those opening laps, however he lost it again late in the race.

I fear that I will be a Montoya fan in the same way I was a Mansell fan, supporting him to the very end and marvelling at those strokes of genious but while having to concede that he's being beaten by the superior driver - Kimi Raikkonen will be the Senna to Montoya's Mansell.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 17:29 (Ref:561874)   #2
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See I don't really agree. He was pushing hard the whole race and so what, he made a mistake! its not like Senna never made a mistake, and he was one of 9 people to spin in that corner because the water level wasn't the same lap to lap
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:13 (Ref:561917)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Put Montoya in the McLaren and he'd be winning too. Williams are my favourite team, but i fear that if Montoya stays in that car it's going to hinder him.

Yesterday, before the tyres went off, JPM showed what he can do.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:24 (Ref:561929)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Have faith Damon. Juan is good, and so is Michael - they just made uncharacteristic stupid mistakes. They will both be back strong next race. Public enemy number one is McLaren now
Old 7 Apr 2003, 18:29 (Ref:561933)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams have do something about it and fast !

Or we will be seeing they fighting Sauber in the championship...
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:10 (Ref:561980)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: My confidence is slipping

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I fear that I will be a Montoya fan in the same way I was a Mansell fan, supporting him to the very end and marvelling at those strokes of genious but while having to concede that he's being beaten by the superior driver - Kimi Raikkonen will be the Senna to Montoya's Mansell.
Personally , i think that if Juan was in a Mclaren , then him and Kimi would both be breathtaking . What Juan manages to pull out of a Williams chassis often amazes me .
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:15 (Ref:561988)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Juan is good, and so is Michael - they just made uncharacteristic stupid mistakes.
Don't think they were even stupid mistakes, both (aswell as the others) were just unlucky, not even mistakes.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:15 (Ref:561991)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Me too Sato, and he and Kimi were the class of the field in the opening laps running (and I quote Martin Brundle having just watched the highlights) 3 secs a lap quicker than anyone else! I have complete faith in his talent, speed and ability but that's twice now in three races that he's spun out of a good position. Don't worry though, I'll still be getting my new Monty cap when we finally get them in stock .

Last edited by Damon; 7 Apr 2003 at 19:16.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:561992)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not as if he made a rookie mistake - lots of other drivers did the exact same thing, including Michael, and he showed enough amazing pace out of that hopeless Williams to endorse, not question, my view of him.

Kimi wore his tyres out early on as well - it was only the superior handling of the McLaren, and the fact that he started nearer the front, which allowed him to not suffer much - both were saved by the safety car for Panis/Firman.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:21 (Ref:562002)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... I remember you guys talking if he was in a Ferrari...

What happened ? The Ferraris are out of competition this year ?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:562004)   #11
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Montoya was simply unlucky to go off (this time! ). Before then, both he and Kimi (I can't spel Raikonen) showed supreme confidence to disappear into the distance, only to be caught by the old heads when they'd worn their inters out.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:562005)   #12
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't anyone else think Montoya will get a drive in a Ferrari at some point. I reckon he's got a chance!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 7 Apr 2003 at 19:23.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:27 (Ref:562010)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Don't think they were even stupid mistakes, both (aswell as the others) were just unlucky, not even mistakes.
I understand what you are saying v man, but I still think it was stupid of them. You *know* that this area is troublesome, so slow the heck down!! If Ralf and Rubens could tippy-toe through those rivers, then Juan and Michael surely should have been able to do the same...
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:30 (Ref:562016)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Agreed.

Inigo, your sign is out of law...
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:45 (Ref:562041)   #15
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that we are seeing that the Williams car is not up to the task, at least not all the time. RS and JPM had points where they looked good and then both faded away. Was the tires? Was it a lack of balance as the fuel load changed? Was it a combination of both. A driver can only do so much. There were also times that the McLarens were not as good as other cars on the track.
Never forget #99
Old 7 Apr 2003, 19:53 (Ref:562055)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Bon, I am sticking by my signature, because despite the idiotic rule, I still think Fisi won the race
Old 7 Apr 2003, 21:25 (Ref:562184)   #17
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What really matters about Montoya is how exiting a driver he is to watch how fearless he is how willing he is to have a go thats what I watch F1 for.

In the overall scheme of things where is Gilles Statistically? How many championships did he win?

But what would I give just to have seen him drive?
Old 7 Apr 2003, 22:26 (Ref:562232)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Dig out the old video's pal, it's worth it believe me!
Old 7 Apr 2003, 22:37 (Ref:562245)   #19
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89
What really matters about Montoya is how exiting a driver he is to watch how fearless he is how willing he is to have a go thats what I watch F1 for.

In the overall scheme of things where is Gilles Statistically? How many championships did he win?

But what would I give just to have seen him drive?

I quite agree

I seen Jaun race here in CART and he was the best...as Good as Alex Z was in CART too. And seeing Jaun Come into F1.. I am happy to still see him drive the way he does

It is way to early yet to say anything about any racers yet. Two of the races, the weatehr played a big part in the out comes.

williams will get better this year and Juan will impress again
Old 8 Apr 2003, 01:56 (Ref:562335)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM was unlucky, and it was certainly not his fault. Considering 8 other drivers went off at the same corner!

But he needs to get out of Williams to be a consistent race winner. It's obvious they don't have the goods to be producing cars equivalent to the McLaren and Ferrari.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 07:21 (Ref:562437)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To a certain extent I think the car is being dragged up to higher places at the moment. Although there seems to be little hints of improvements recently.

We also saw Montoya's press on approach hurting him in qualifying this race. A mistake came and it hurt him. We knew this would happen soomer or later, especially at the moment, because hte car isn't the class of the field.

He still gets up to racing speed as quick as anyone (although Kimi seems to be just as brilliant at this). What we sa in Brasil was a good opening couple of laps as he found the limit immediately followed by many other laps where everyone found that they had a quicker car. The Williams traction out of corners seems awful. Whether it was just inherently bad, or the car, or Montoya ruined the rears I don't know.

It'll be alright guys. My main fear is that Kimi and Montoya won't have competetive cars at the same time.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 09:09 (Ref:562518)   #22
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong I'm a Kimi fan and was well impressed with his move on Ralf. But We've seen JPM win races and championships in fast cars with out traction control and I have no doubt that when they remove it again next year he will adapt quickly and may well improve relative to the majority of the Field

With Kimi he hasn't got that back ground his first F1 race was only something like his seventeenth car race I hope that he also can adapt but I don't think we can Know for sure until next year when he has 900bhp but no traction control to take care of it
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:27 (Ref:562611)   #23
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Public enemy number one is McLaren now
Wouldn't be so sure about that Inigo. Ferrari just announced that the F2003-GA will be unleashed at the next GP!...McLaren better warm up their newbie or they may fall off...I think Williams will be introuble to keep pace with either of these 2003 cars which will hurt Monty's appearance even more but I belive he is one of the best in F1...now if we could just get Jacques in the other seat then we could really see how talented JPM is!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:562704)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG
.now if we could just get Jacques in the other seat then we could really see how talented JPM is!
And Giancarlo in the seat beside Michael! Or beside Rubens - either way!!!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 12:37 (Ref:562732)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: My confidence is slipping

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Brazil was the first time that my confidence in Juan Pablo Montoya has slipped. He was on a par with Raikkonen at the start and both blew the rest away in those opening laps, however he lost it again late in the race.

Damon, even I admit he was unlucky at this race but I still don't think he's doing that much with a competitive car. So put him in a Macaroon and he'd just be throwing away second (when he does make a mistake) because Riakonnen (who now has two wins to JPM's one) would wipe the floor with him.

But keep the faith because there are less and less JPM acolytes around as the season goes on.