Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 Jan 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3699654)   #126
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, f*ck IMG and Silverstone. I knew they were killing off genuine rallycross slowly but taking away such an historic and good track like Lydden makes me mad.

If Tierp takes away WRX from Höljes I don't know what I will do.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3699661)   #127
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another sad day for Rallycross! And I don't know if I feel grief, pity or betrayal for those involved in bringing RX to IMG in the first place. Pauwels, Doran, Scott are out.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3699662)   #128
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Very sad day for Lydden after all these years..
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3699663)   #129
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor old Lydden, for all its faults the racing and viewing make up for it, scanning through the WRX Facebook announcement people agree and there is no support for the move to Silverstone.

Alas money talks, not that I thought Silverstone had much if you read the press??
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3699664)   #130
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
World Rallycross Championship 2017

I am not sure if I feel sorry for poor old Lydden as they brought IMG themselves?
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3699666)   #131
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hilarious I have to say.

No-one can surely be surprised by this surely?

I bloody told you all, and you all just bought into these IMG idiots. Thought it was great, travelled all over Europe handing them money. And this is how they repay you. They have no soul to sell, but if you have one you will never attend that dump. Silverstone is the worst track in the country for spectating, you will be miles away from the action. Pay to get into the pits, pay 30 quid a ticket as they will make it some kind of nonsense festival.

It will be a car park track, like Hockenheim and Barcelona.

Lydden has tried its best, but it is a Sunday market trying to compete with a mall. But it is where rallycross began, where it developed it's current fanbase and where it always should be in Britain, there or Brands.

It is about time as fans you stood together and told these money grabbing, selfish thieves where to go. No clicking on links, never go on their website, do not attend meetings. No subs to youtube channels.

I know you wont don't it as you have no backbone, but this has to be the final straw surely.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3699667)   #132
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tickets are already pretty expensive. I can't imagine them going down after the move.

I think next year might be the last year I watch in person.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3699668)   #133
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
So. Anyone know the true story? How did Pat D let this one go through his fingers?
Old 2 Jan 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3699669)   #134
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pat bought into IMG initially so I imagine he will be promoting, or the family will.

I doubt he will not be involved somehow.

What it means for Lydden I dont know, just a club track again, as it should be really.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3699674)   #135
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it was first rumoured, it was obvious what would happen. The 'old school' RX circuits were out, and the 'shiny new' F1 tracks would be the venues of choice for IMG. Sod the old fans of the sport - they want the new fans, who drink RedBull, Monster, etc and follow the sport in the modern way.
I'm not sure WorldRX is yet big enough for all these sudden changes...but, those in charge think they know best - but quite often it all come crashing down after a few successful years. As there's no support structure in place.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3699675)   #136
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only positive I can really think of of is, will Silverstone be available for the national championship?
Old 2 Jan 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3699677)   #137
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Precisely Arnage

My point has been this from the start. there is absolutely no intention of trying to make rallycross big worldwide, only WRX, and there is a big difference.

There is no ladder, no way of trying to encourage participation or get kids interested or even adults. It is just about making money and selling to the highest bidder, like most other motorsport. But WRX is not there yet, it is on the fringe, it is new, different to disillusioned F1 fans, that's all right now. It is juts as predictable and dull at times.

There is the potential there, but by making it all about the big expensive cars, they will eventually lose the privateers. I hope. Right now they are along for the ride without really realising they are being fleeced, Look at Isachsen, Larsson, Scott, original WRX guys all now in ERX, WTF!

All I hope is that someone is brave enough to put on a series away from WRX that offers them something, running on the older tracks, Let WRX be what it wants to be, which is Xgames for the world, they are the same people. That was a disaster driver nearly died, but it set the outline for what WRX is now.

Let it be, I am not in the slightest bit interested. but then also hope someone somewhere, maybe a Schanche, can step in and realise what is going on and offer something for the rest, then maybe ERX can come back too and leave IMG to their nonsense posh banger racing.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3699678)   #138
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two great posts Chunder.
I sorry but I won't shed too many tears over this, not for the fact that it's being lost because it is a shame but the fact that Lydden might now have to give a toss about the people it sent packing.
Before being brought out Lydden had a decent circuit series and a fair few visiting series.
One by one we were shown the door, what's going to be left? Track days and the odd British Rallycross round that's not exactly buoyant right now.
Don't be surprised to see the family cut its losses in the near future.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3699679)   #139
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
I think i called this a while back like a few on here.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3699681)   #140
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Too true Minicross

They used to have a decent relationship with Brands and had some great little club series.

And club bike racing, but I think that still goes on there. The stock car thing once a year and the big tuning events.

It is a small venue, but could be a great club venue, sadly too much water has passed under the bridge now and the people involved shoudl be rather ashamed, but the rich are rarely anything but!
Old 2 Jan 2017, 13:49 (Ref:3699687)   #141
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its been a while since I posted but I cant keep quiet on this one.

Firstly am I surprised? No,
Am I angry? Yes,
Do I feel sorry for Lydden and the Dorans? no,
Do I feel sorry for the many who have visited the circuit over the years through thick and thin and those who have followed rallycross round Europe? yes.

Will it be successful? yes probably for 2 or 3 years. Know doubt they will get Button racing and sell it off that. I can honestly see entries being around the 16, done and dusted in a few hours, no thanks.
Will there be actual rallycross fans there? Not many, hence a fad that will come and go like so many over the years.

IMG have just one interest, money, I have no interest in these people but the likes of TW who for years I believed was a rallycross fanatic, well hang your head in shame. A lot for the select few, bugger the rest of you should be the WRX slogan.

My hope is WRX will do its own thing and die in its own time and that European rallycross and its various classes will thrive separately though whether there will be an actual track left in the UK to hold such an event is questionable.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 14:06 (Ref:3699690)   #142
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
The only positive I can really think of of is, will Silverstone be available for the national championship?
Unlikely, circuit fees will be too hire and not enough Rallycross Entries compared to other forms of motorsport.

Though the talk of the Arena Section was originally going to be seperate from the Grand Prix Circuit.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 14:24 (Ref:3699693)   #143
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So often I hear fans describe Silvertone as Soul-less.

We knew this was coming, but with Silverstones Financial Problems, and the announcement they could not afford to build an Arena Complex, I had hoped it would be many a year away.

There are so many fears here.

It mentions Rallycross as part of a Festival, so will this mean the end of Super 1600 and Touring Cars racing in the UK, with just World Supercar on the Fixture?

Silverstone have a terrible track record. There was the rally events that quickly died, to become an off road centre. I even forget what they called them, they were so brief in lifespan.

When Nigel Mansell went o CART, there were plans to build an Oval.

The "View Blocking Wing" and its hidden in a "trench pit lane", is a complete disaster for spectators, and the two paddock layout and coaches running between the two, just shows there is no real thought to changes made.

On paper Silverstone has lost MotoGP to a track in Wales that may never exist! It made deals to build all around it.

The F1 Grand Prix is not finacially sustainable, and that's before F1 in this country cuts itself off from old and new fans, by disappear behind a Sky pay to view wall.

Silverstone is not a future home for Rallycross, its just a well known name that IMG can band about. It will bring no value to Rallycross, and ultimately this decision will hurt Rallycross at all levels.

My biggest fear is now for Lydden, the once home of Grass Roots Motorsport. There has been no car circuit racing there in recent times, no club level Rallycross other than the behind closed doors "Gary" Top Gear piece.

I fear this is the final nail in the coffin, for a venue we all love so much.

A really bad day, and its hard to see anything good coming out of this.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3699701)   #144
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
My biggest fear is now for Lydden, the once home of Grass Roots Motorsport.
I fear this is the final nail in the coffin, for a venue we all love so much.

A really bad day, and its hard to see anything good coming out of this.
This pretty much sums it up. Lydden is looking dead in the water. Lose Lydden and British Rallycross looks in trouble - ok the BTRDA series is doing well without Lydden but to lose a circuit does reduce your options as a competitor. Truly a sad day for the sport.

As for Silverstone - I won't be going, hate the place. Spectating is crap, facilities are awful (they don't appear to have heard of cleaners), parking awful and miles from the circuit (another great thing about Lydden - weather awful? No problem, watch from the car).
Old 2 Jan 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3699707)   #145
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
In defence of Silverstone, I live fairly close, and go to a few meetings a year there. It is clean, the parking is better now, you don't have to park outside the venue. but for massive events like f1 and MotoGP you have to pay with I find almost inhumane with the space they have there!

Viewing is bad, and the facilities are fair.

As for British rallycross, maybe this is what the sad old duffers need, lose a big event, Lydden loses masses of revenue, maybe they might all start talking to each other again now, and stop this stupid two series nonsense. Go to Ireland again even.

It could be good, but this is rallycross organisations, lol!
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3699711)   #146
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
I also believe, someone will put me right or wrong, that when Pat "bought" Lydden, it was the Lease from McLaren/Ron Dennis for a specific length of time. He did not buy the freehold of the land. Is this lease now up? Will it end up a housing estate?
And yes Minicross424 and Bertmk2..good posts.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3699716)   #147
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where this leaves Lydden I do not know. If the Dorans end up bailing out of the track then the rallycross community needs to come together and save it. Rallycross without Lydden would be like football without Wembley. It is a pity the IMG suits don't understand the first thing about the sport other than the cash they can trouser.

The only good thing about this terrible decision is that it might push British rallycross to consolidate into one domestic series with sensible rules that allow an accessible, affordable ladder once again.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3699718)   #148
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
This is what I am hoping too Leo

Also that someone with the clout can sort out a better Euro series
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3699723)   #149
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Where this leaves Lydden I do not know. If the Dorans end up bailing out of the track then the rallycross community needs to come together and save it. Rallycross without Lydden would be like football without Wembley. It is a pity the IMG suits don't understand the first thing about the sport other than the cash they can trouser.

The only good thing about this terrible decision is that it might push British rallycross to consolidate into one domestic series with sensible rules that allow an accessible, affordable ladder once again.
Spot on.
When I entered mini cross in 2001 the rallycross scene was booming.
OK the supercar class was not great but look at the stock hatch class by about 2003, you could almost run a meeting on them alone.
Then as per normal a few in charge got ideas way above their heads spouting the whole bigger than btcc tosh and before we knew it Minicross was not welcome, Juniors were no longer allowed Minis and needed thousands for MSD prepared KA's etc the split began and here we are.
The seeds are there but lets hope party's can sit down and sort this.
On a side note what's the bets not entry to the paddock at Silverstone.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3699725)   #150
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More likely Lydden will become a lorry park if it was to be sold.
Good post Stephen H though you may need to change your end note, Wimbledon unfortunately will be gone in a few months, Lydden could be next