Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Aug 2018, 13:13 (Ref:3840852)   #376
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is willing to play ball with IndyCar about continuing the Belle Isle race and has made a counter proposal. Basically, DNR wants:

• A little higher park use fee, $310,000 a year instead of the $300,000 a year offered by race organizers.

• A larger contribution to the park. Organizers offered to give $50,000 as DNR deems appropriate plus $35,000 for paddock projects/programming. DNR wants $100,000 a year to be spent as it deems appropriate.

• Stronger contract usage on set up and tear down time limits (62 day max), including a guarantee that access to park roadways and features be restricted for no more than 21 days.

• Limits on where the television helicopter can fly.

A USA Today story is available here. A deal between the organizers and the state seems likely, which means for better or worse that IMSA is likely going back to Detroit for the next few years.
I'll call it for worse

We are getting the schedule tomorrow and I was looking forward to the Belle Isle replacement, but now I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3840904)   #377
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'll call it for worse

We are getting the schedule tomorrow and I was looking forward to the Belle Isle replacement, but now I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Of the 12 races on the IMSA Weathertech series calendar, I don't think there is any debate that Detroit is 12th and last when it comes prestige, viewer, coverage, excitement, etc. But I guess you need to fill in the calendar with something. Gap between Mid Ohio to Le Mans/Watkins is big. Granted there are better options than Detroit. I would dare to suggest if you want a small profile race but still be the headlining series, New Jersey Motorsports park could work.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3840910)   #378
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'll call it for worse

I'd agree that it's the worst/least exciting/least interesting race on the schedule. I wouldn't miss it if it were to disappear one bit.

From IMSA's prospective though, I get why they race there. That said, it would be better if IMSA weren't just the Saturday opening act…
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:01 (Ref:3840913)   #379
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I'd agree that it's the worst/least exciting/least interesting race on the schedule. I wouldn't miss it if it were to disappear one bit.

From IMSA's prospective though, I get why they race there. That said, it would be better if IMSA weren't just the Saturday opening act…
It is a nice place on the calendar to have a small profile race. Anything with no GTLM class in it can be considered that in my opinion. Location is questionable yes. I'm sure Detroit will be on the Friday sked though. Agree about being a Saturday on an IndyCar weekend. IWSC should not be the 2nd biggest race on the weekend. Granted I know for sure that lots of people buy tickets for the Long Beach event BECAUSE of IMSA. Detroit not as sure.
Old 2 Aug 2018, 18:20 (Ref:3840919)   #380
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
It is a nice place on the calendar to have a small profile race. Anything with no GTLM class in it can be considered that in my opinion. Location is questionable yes. I'm sure Detroit will be on the Friday sked though. Agree about being a Saturday on an IndyCar weekend. IWSC should not be the 2nd biggest race on the weekend. Granted I know for sure that lots of people buy tickets for the Long Beach event BECAUSE of IMSA. Detroit not as sure.
One of the problems with Belle Isle for IMSA is that it's the IndyCar double header weekend. So IMSA is the third biggest race of the weekend, behind the IndyCar races on Saturday and Sunday. At least at Long Beach, IMSA is the highlight on Saturday.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 03:11 (Ref:3840995)   #381
TheMightyM
Veteran

From S365:

Quote:
Grasser Racing Team is likely to expand its involvement in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship next year with an entry in the Michelin Endurance Cup and potentially other races, according to team owner Gottfried Grasser.

The Austrian squad, which claimed GT Daytona class honors in January’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, has confirmed it will defend its victory with at least one Lamborghini Huracan GT3, while also planning to add the three remaining rounds in the newly-renamed Cup to its schedule in 2019.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3841012)   #382
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Talk on that site about the splitting of DPi and lmp2 next year. I think it's logical. Pro teams continuously slowed down to pro-am teams is not worth it to these guys. It's a little sad too, imo. In a couple ways. One; it is sad that DPi was supposed to be something that equaled p2 but had different looks, but that seemed like a wasted effort especially when you change engines, electronics, aerodynamics, suspension etc. And two; it's sad that it took this long to do what should have been done in the beginning. Then we wouldn't have had this mess with 'big' teams with factory backing complaining they're not getting a fair shake when they're beaten by a less expensive, no-development-needed-lmp2.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3841103)   #383
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Talk on that site about the splitting of DPi and lmp2 next year. I think it's logical. Pro teams continuously slowed down to pro-am teams is not worth it to these guys. It's a little sad too, imo. In a couple ways. One; it is sad that DPi was supposed to be something that equaled p2 but had different looks, but that seemed like a wasted effort especially when you change engines, electronics, aerodynamics, suspension etc. And two; it's sad that it took this long to do what should have been done in the beginning. Then we wouldn't have had this mess with 'big' teams with factory backing complaining they're not getting a fair shake when they're beaten by a less expensive, no-development-needed-lmp2.

Funny thing is that the idea of splitting the classes was started by LMP2 teams saying they could not compete with DPIs. Then they started to do so, and the DPI teams got whiny and started to promote the idea themselves while the other side started getting quiet. In the end its a cluster-you-know-what. I think splitting it is a bad idea. Risk going back to the ALMS days with 4-6 car classes, where a podium may not mean that much.

Because of a class split you can have races on the calendar where DPI runs a and LMP2 does not now. Maybe LMP2 will only have an 8 race schedule like LMPC did.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3841146)   #384
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Funny thing is that the idea of splitting the classes was started by LMP2 teams saying they could not compete with DPIs. Then they started to do so, and the DPI teams got whiny and started to promote the idea themselves while the other side started getting quiet. In the end its a cluster-you-know-what. I think splitting it is a bad idea. Risk going back to the ALMS days with 4-6 car classes, where a podium may not mean that much.

Because of a class split you can have races on the calendar where DPI runs a and LMP2 does not now. Maybe LMP2 will only have an 8 race schedule like LMPC did.
Half the lmp2 teams can't even race every round anyway so I don't think a split is a bad idea. They should just speed them up to privateer lmp1 speeds and open up the entries to them for the NAEC. I suggested this in the beginning. Of course they're not going to listen to a couple internet posts but it looks like the split is happening, so why not?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:44 (Ref:3841258)   #385
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
So the split is confirmed, does that mean there will only be 7/8 cars in the top class?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:49 (Ref:3841260)   #386
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently they've been reading the forum

GTD get 3 championships with full season, NAEC (Michelin Endurance Cup for 2019) and now the WeatherTech Sprint Cup for the 2:45 races plus Bell Isle.

GTD gets a focus on Silver and Bronze drivers with a committee to recommend FIA driver ranking changes if needed. Practice time before qualifying for Silver and Bronze and they must qualify and start the car.

Wonder who we will see not take on the full season
Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:58 (Ref:3841261)   #387
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
So the split is confirmed, does that mean there will only be 7/8 cars in the top class?
Yeah, I think we will see

DPi (7)

WTR x1
AXR x2
Penske x2
Joest Mazda x2

LMP2 (3-7)

Core x1
JDC-Miller x2
AFS/PR1 x1
ESM x1 (maybe)
SoD x1 (maybe or maybe DPi with budget)
United x1/2 (MEC only I'd guess)

Think we've lost 2 DPis and unlikely to gain many if any LMP2s for the win in the MEC races only.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 01:02 (Ref:3841262)   #388
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
JDC-Miller might apparently acquire a Caddilac.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3841263)   #389
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
JDC-Miller might apparently acquire a Caddilac.
They've been pushing for a DPi and that's the winner so far so not a bad choice if you can get it. Could that mean the SoD dream is over and that's the slot they'll get. Sounded like Caddy wasn't interested in more than 4 cars but money usually talks
Old 4 Aug 2018, 01:22 (Ref:3841264)   #390
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
And FoxSports is gone with the official US racing network taking over.

*Preliminary details on IMSA’s new TV deal with NBC Sports was also revealed, which will see nine hours of network TV time next year, including live NBC coverage of the rounds at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, plus segments of the Motul Petit Le Mans. The majority of the races will air on NBCSN, with segments of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on CNBC.

From S365
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:08 (Ref:3841276)   #391
TF110
Veteran

United States
Hopefully ESM can continue with a DPi, be it Nissan or someone else. Maybe that Hyundai thing comes through? I think 7-11 entries is plenty for DPi. Lets see how fast they are next year with their chains unshackled and the new Michelin tires.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 03:48 (Ref:3841291)   #392
MaskedRacer
Veteran

The entry list for GTD should fluctuate from race to race next year. I do think you will have some takers for the sprint cup thing. We won't know who exactly for 9 more months though.

GTLM would welcome a renewed presence from Ferrari and Aston Martin too.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 05:21 (Ref:3841297)   #393
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for speed increase as it's a thrill to watch cars do their dance at the edge of control. But if the Dpi/P2 split is to uncork the Dpi, I never understood why they didn't give the P2s the superior tires they race with in ELMS/WEC? They can easily drop the lap times by more than a few seconds. That way they can keep the class as one.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3841307)   #394
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I for one always look at a 14 car class and think how great it would be if it was a pair of 7 car classes.

Generally it seems like a pretty absurd political situation when ALMS could figure out how to run multiple types of LMP1 and LMP2 cars together but having LMP2a and LMP2b in the same class is somehow untenable.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3841357)   #395
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it weakens IMSA's top class.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3841446)   #396
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

The best thing to come out of this is the hilarious reactions of fanboys like Pruett.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3841454)   #397
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Still don't think it's a good idea and can't see the positives other than people who get overly excited about lap times might enjoy it a bit more. But it is what it is.

Are ESM likely to continue without sponsorship?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 17:58 (Ref:3841458)   #398
TF110
Veteran

United States
It's not lap times. It's hamstringing a type of car artificially to meet another type of car. This happened before the move to DPi when it was Gen.3 DP's vs lmp2's. If IMSA wanted both classes to be equal, they shouldn't have allowed DPi in the first place. But they did and now they'll be their own class like they should have from the beginning. It's not perfect though. I think if the classes are going to be separate, they should align DPi with lmp1. I doubt they're going to do that though so this whole thing is unfortunate for lmp2 runners.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3841462)   #399
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not really like DP v LMP2 from before given those cars were completely different formats and delivered their performance in ways that were completely incompatible. This is more like LMP2a v LMP2b. And now all you'll see is the fastest cars are slowed down to run at the Mazdas pace - and the Mazda is running at the fastest pace it can without blowing itself up at all times. So in no way this any different to "hamstringing a car artificially". It's still a BoP class, you've just changed which car you're BoPing it against.

It shouldn't be aligned with LMP1 (which would involve hamstringing a type of car to artificially meet another type of car...) because the LMP1 doesn't allow factory involvement without a hybrid system. I doubt IMSA would do it, and there's no chance the ACO would let them near an ACO event. Too much pride for that one.

Still don't see what positive it achieves, other than slightly fastest lap times. Smaller classes, at a time when we're looking at losing a couple of cars.

Are ESM continuing? Are SoDing continuing? Are we likely to see the LMP2 grow?
Old 4 Aug 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3841469)   #400
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Still don't see what positive it achieves
Jim France and Roger Penske's cars win more races and get more TV time. That's about the end of it. It's just as illogical for everyone else as when they made DPs ridiculously expensive so CGR and Corvette DPs could keep winning.