Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2020, 11:47 (Ref:4002580)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weaving once Safety Car "bugs out"

Under the Supercars series rules here in Australia once the Safety Car goes "Lights Out" weaving is banned, as a result this has also filtered down to all the lower classes as well.

Watching the racing from the Tuscan GP meeting I note cars weaving right up until the leader takes off.

I believe Bottas and others weaving was a partial cause of the pile up on the Safety Car restart that resulted in the big pile up.

Your thoughts ??

Should the FIA follow the Supercars by bringing in a No Weaving rule ??
Old 15 Sep 2020, 12:46 (Ref:4002593)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Under the Supercars series rules here in Australia once the Safety Car goes "Lights Out" weaving is banned, as a result this has also filtered down to all the lower classes as well.

Watching the racing from the Tuscan GP meeting I note cars weaving right up until the leader takes off.

I believe Bottas and others weaving was a partial cause of the pile up on the Safety Car restart that resulted in the big pile up.

Your thoughts ??

Personally, and happy to be convinced otherwise, I don't see how weaving contributes to the problem?

If the driver behind doesn't 'go' until the car in front has, what difference does it make if the driver in front is weaving or driving in a straight line?
Old 15 Sep 2020, 13:34 (Ref:4002596)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I cant see that weaving caused the issue at the last race. We were discussing this on the race thread. The drivers are pointing to the lateness of the safety car switching its lights out, which meant that the lead driver was always going to be inclined to wait until the last moment to start again - which caused the bunching and accident.

If the quotes in the press are true, the race organisers seem to be mightily offended at the mere the hint that they might have contributed to this accident in some way, and instead attribute the blame to 12 drivers.

My view is that if over half the drivers are supposedly at fault, then the race organisers have created something wrong.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 14:01 (Ref:4002603)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I cant see that weaving caused the issue at the last race. We were discussing this on the race thread. The drivers are pointing to the lateness of the safety car switching its lights out, which meant that the lead driver was always going to be inclined to wait until the last moment to start again - which caused the bunching and accident.

If the quotes in the press are true, the race organisers seem to be mightily offended at the mere the hint that they might have contributed to this accident in some way, and instead attribute the blame to 12 drivers.

My view is that if over half the drivers are supposedly at fault, then the race organisers have created something wrong.
Were the lights late in going out, or was it where they should have been extinguished, but the circuit layout, and to a degree unfamiliarity of it by the teams and drivers leading them to think that?

The circuit layout was always likely to lead to a bunched restart, given the slipstreaming potential, but was it necessary for the continued weaving by the leader at that point, it surely wouldn't be a heat issue, rather gamesmanship in picking the moment that the he opted to "go".

It appeared that more than just the light panel on or after the line went green, that in fact panels nearer the final corner went green, resulting in drivers at the back rightly believing that they were no longer under Yellow flag/Safety car constraints, which in turn expecting those in front to be accelerating and not still bunching, did so to create an overall but not to overtake before the line as per regulations.

What the solution actually is I don't know, but to quickly come out with statements saying they won't be looking at the restart procedures is wrong.

Like any accident or incident, it should be reviewed and lessons learnt.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 14:22 (Ref:4002606)   #5
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Short answer is "no" in my opinion. I just don't see it as a big factor. My only comment is that some of Bottas' last minute weaving put him particularly close to Hamilton. Or maybe Hamilton was particularly close to Bottas while he was weaving!

Hopefully this thread doesn't just rehash the lap 6 F1 situation as that was already extensively discussed in the race thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The circuit layout was always likely to lead to a bunched restart, given the slipstreaming potential, but was it necessary for the continued weaving by the leader at that point, it surely wouldn't be a heat issue, rather gamesmanship in picking the moment that the he opted to "go".
(weaving as a way to pick the right moment to go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Like any accident or incident, it should be reviewed and lessons learnt.
Agree

Richard
Old 15 Sep 2020, 15:02 (Ref:4002612)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one thing im not sure i have heard mentioned is the placement of the S/C restart line.

with the late pit entry where it is, it is always going to be a relatively small length of track between where the S/C has to come into the pits and the start/finish line combined with an slight elevation change that made it harder for those at the back to see further ahead.

so could the restart line be moved closer to turn 1?
Old 15 Sep 2020, 15:21 (Ref:4002613)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The SC restart line is the start/finish/timing line.

It used to be that an earlier mark was used and , that allowed overtaking before the s/f line, but that in itself caused issues.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 15:37 (Ref:4002617)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just throwing this one out there, but how about moving the line to just before Turn 1? Drivers could then set up a move in the next few corners. You may get some do or die or moves in Turn 1, though, but no more than on Lap 1.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 23:30 (Ref:4002713)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never understood the no overtaking until the control line rule. Make them form up line astern, maintain SC speed once it's gone, switch on the green and go racing. Don't care where the line is, it's green. Get on with it.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 03:36 (Ref:4002725)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've never understood the no overtaking until the control line rule. Make them form up line astern, maintain SC speed once it's gone, switch on the green and go racing. Don't care where the line is, it's green. Get on with it.
I must admit this is my view too.... in a grid start some guys at the rear get away better than those in front and pass before the start finish line without issue, and I see no issue with a restart being the same rules. It would be a little less open to scenarios such as Mugello where the options of when to restart were too grey due to the long straight with a late start line. Usually the leading driver is at full noise coming off the last corner, but this was not the case at Mugello.
Just make it a simple line up, and go at point X and go. No options to confuse people. If you gain a spot before the line so be it.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 23:42 (Ref:4002714)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Weaving once Safety Car "bugs out"

I remember they had the line just before the pit entrance when you could start to overtake. They for some reason got rid of that a few years ago. It no doubt would have prevented an incident last weekend had it still been in place. Idk if they would bring it back now though?
Old 16 Sep 2020, 03:22 (Ref:4002724)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post

Your thoughts ??

Pure and simple no, and weaving had zero to do with any of it and making the argument it did means you aren't the best drivers so quit now and we can get competent drivers in the seats. Banning things because drivers are incompetent is pathetic and the fastest way to get people to turn off the race. If the drivers can't be adults and pay attention, the frankly let them wreck and explain to the team why the car in front of them wasn't a clue to not drive RIGHT THERE and why all their effort was wasted.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 19:46 (Ref:4002858)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
When it's green, it's full throttle. Otherwise, chaos ensues.

IndyCar uses a restart zone. The race leader must go full throttle inside that zone, not earlier or later.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 02:27 (Ref:4002910)   #14
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The funny thing about this is the Michael Masi is ex Supercars and he banned it there but not in F1! Very contradictory indeed.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 02:50 (Ref:4003337)   #15
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The funny thing about this is the Michael Masi is ex Supercars and he banned it there but not in F1! Very contradictory indeed.
Michael Masi was never the race director for Supercars, he was only the deputy to Tim Schenken so he did not ban weaving in supercars, the rule is supercars is that once the safety car lights go there is no weaving allowed and all cars must maintain a speed which is supercars is 80kph. The lead driver can then choose when to go one the safety car is in pit lane but once he goes he can not then change his mind and slow down.

The other thing with the safety car restart is that we did not have any problems with the safety car restarts in the F2 and F3 races on the main start and the lead driver did not take off until he got to the start line the same as Bottas, also the commentators were saying that due to the length if the straight that the drivers will not go until the last minute so the drivers at the back in F1 should of known that Bottas would not be going early
Old 18 Sep 2020, 03:05 (Ref:4003340)   #16
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
The other thing with the safety car restart is that we did not have any problems with the safety car restarts in the F2 and F3 races on the main start and the lead driver did not take off until he got to the start line the same as Bottas, also the commentators were saying that due to the length if the straight that the drivers will not go until the last minute so the drivers at the back in F1 should of known that Bottas would not be going early
Is this not the very idea of what inspired the likes of Russell to hang back.... knowing that they could make their break a little before Bottas and have speed onboard already to more than bridge the gap they created by dropping back.
Those that did that ie Russell created the whole issue with their action.

I think that those who tried that idea are now away / educated into the ramifications of that thought and wont try it again. Maybe the last line is a bit simplistic.... in which case mandate a maximum gap and penalise violations
Old 18 Sep 2020, 03:54 (Ref:4003349)   #17
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8man View Post
Michael Masi was never the race director for Supercars, he was only the deputy to Tim Schenken so he did not ban weaving in supercars
Michael worked for TEGA and then AVESCO though, back when many of the existing rules came in so he was probably part of the group that came up with that rule. The race director doesn't make the rules for Supercars, they enforce the rules that Supercars writes.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 02:47 (Ref:4002912)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are they double file restarts?
Old 17 Sep 2020, 03:10 (Ref:4002915)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Are they double file restarts?
No.Also the Bathurst 12 Hour which is an international race bans weaving after safety car lights go out.Multiple international drivers cop drive throughs every year.
No weaving definitely makes it safer because all cars are pointed straight ahead and in a straight line when it is green to go.Maybe the theory is the high standard of F1 drivers negates the risk.
In a pre weaving ban era I remember a national Formula Ford race at Eastern Creek about 15 years ago where the whole field was weaving about coming up to the restart,a bunch of cars got tangled up and crashed and most of the field was out before they reached the restart at the start/finish line.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 08:55 (Ref:4002968)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We need to look at things carefully. I can see why other series have banned weaving after SC goes in, it seems like quite common sense to me. Maybe F1 should look at it. Bottas did nothing wrong, but it didn't make things easier for those behind. Or maybe as I said earlier they should be allowed to overtake at the first SC line like the old days.

The other problem with this weaving is that it can filter down to lower formula where standards can be bad enough at times. Just need to keep a close eye on things to make sure the incident we saw doesn't happen too often
Old 17 Sep 2020, 13:13 (Ref:4003055)   #21
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If you ban weaving, then we are going to end up with freeze frame video stills being posted in internet forums all over the world with fans trying to prove that a driver was or was not weaving, and F1 would probably have to setup a weaving committee to define what constitutes an unacceptable weave.

I assume speeding up or slowing down would similarly be banned.

You could take the whole thing out of the drivers hands - set them at pit limiter speeds until a green flag waves, and then go go go, overtake if you can.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4003092)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

I assume speeding up or slowing down would similarly be banned.

Y
It already is.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 14:53 (Ref:4003117)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
It already is.
So, hows that going?
Old 17 Sep 2020, 15:55 (Ref:4003154)   #24
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The sudden and abrupt change in speed was banned, the driver at the front can slow if he wants but can't brake check.

90% of the problem was drivers in the mid pack thinking THEY controlled the race. Russell sped up and slowed a couple times as did others, that's why they were called in.

I don't get the need to make a new rule because drivers can't behave. They wrecked, their race was over and teams don't forget, none of them were Hamilton so overlooking binning the car being stupid won't happen often. They are supposed to be the best drivers and we're adding for rules like they're children. That's utter nonsense and frankly and insult to anyone who can think. More rules ALWAYS creates more loopholes and arguments, always. If you think a no weaving rule would do a damn thing I've got a beautiful bridge in NYC to sell you.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 16:25 (Ref:4003160)   #25
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I don't get the need to make a new rule because drivers can't behave. They wrecked, their race was over and teams don't forget, none of them were Hamilton so overlooking binning the car being stupid won't happen often. They are supposed to be the best drivers and we're adding for rules like they're children. That's utter nonsense and frankly and insult to anyone who can think. More rules ALWAYS creates more loopholes and arguments, always. If you think a no weaving rule would do a damn thing I've got a beautiful bridge in NYC to sell you.
well i dont know if it is an insult to anyone who can think but that is a really fair point.

i get the need for rules to be proactive in order to prevent a possible future injury or worse, but on some level we should let the drivers learn from their mistakes and sort it themselves.

too many quick rule changes may also create more confusion and result in more incidents...unintended consequences and all that.