Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2895050)   #51
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rouse Sierra is the first release from Biantes own mold. There also doing the Brabham/Moss Torana from Bathurst in 1976. Apparently they are very very good. The Johnson/Bowe car that visited the UK & stirred things up is next.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2895094)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
The Rouse Sierra is the first release from Biantes own mold. There also doing the Brabham/Moss Torana from Bathurst in 1976. Apparently they are very very good. The Johnson/Bowe car that visited the UK & stirred things up is next.
Ironic that an Australian firm are making a BTCC model!

I know the market over there is immense but makes you wonder what opportunities there are in Europe or UK for Corgi or whoever to look at some decent big scale diecast production - the market would surely be there for them and they could get them made in China too or Taiwan or wherever.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2895246)   #53
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ironic that an Australian firm are making a BTCC model!
But didn't Trackspeed.. Gravett & Smith... run cars built by Dick Johnson?
Old 11 Jun 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2895450)   #54
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
I think the newish CEO of Biante, Chris Roche, is looking to expand his market share to a wider market & not be dependent on other makers for non Australian cars. The recent signing of Jack Brabham & Stirling Moss to Biante & the choice of a Sierra as the first mold seem to indicate that.

They are releasing Peter Brock Mobil M3s later in the year as well as the JPS Frank Gardner team version, but I don't know if it's their own mold or not.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2895535)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They are releasing Peter Brock Mobil M3s later in the year as well as the JPS Frank Gardner team version, but I don't know if it's their own mold or not.
Will it be all 3 Mobil M3s? Richards #1, Brock #05/#56, Crompton #7/#57?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Jun 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2895558)   #56
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The '88 Silverstone TT version? Excellent!
Old 13 Jun 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2897788)   #57
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I think it's the 05 & the Richo car.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2898146)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think the newish CEO of Biante, Chris Roche, is looking to expand his market share to a wider market & not be dependent on other makers for non Australian cars. The recent signing of Jack Brabham & Stirling Moss to Biante & the choice of a Sierra as the first mold seem to indicate that.

Methinks i'll need to earn considerably more pennies with all this lot coming out soon!!

If Biante are going to go it alone using their own tooling and moulds then they're exactly the right firm to get a Rover out there surely?

There must be a reason why Minchamps and AutoArt haven't done one, and I can only presume that it was something to do with licensing issues when a certain Mr Walkinshaw was alive or maybe the model makers don't actually know who would grant them permission. It can't be a case of zero interest can it?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2898313)   #59
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
No sign of the 05 car yet, just the #56 car from 88 Bathurst..
http://www.biante.com.au/product_24359.htm

And the #3 Championship winning JPS sponsored car from 87 driven by Richards..
http://www.biante.com.au/product_24598.htm
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:54 (Ref:2901215)   #60
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ask regular contributor to the Aus forum nivola.
He has Biante sources.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 13:57 (Ref:2938926)   #61
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Latest pick up

The 85 Bathurst Jag is out here, for some reason someone at AUTOart or Biante thought it had chrome wheels & a bright orange race seat, anywho I've got the sister Walkinshaw/Percy car on order, it should be released soon.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2939078)   #62
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah I plumped for the Tom/Win car too....

There's also an ETC Spa version imminent as well, some store in the US is taking pre-orders?
Old 13 Aug 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2939098)   #63
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
Yeah I plumped for the Tom/Win car too....

There's also an ETC Spa version imminent as well, some store in the US is taking pre-orders?
Yes I've seen preproduction photo of the Spa car & it has the correct satin finish on the speedline ? wheels, however at Spa they used a BBS type mesh pattern wheel IIRC. The Spa chassis is also the Bathurst winner, bloke in Melbourne owns it now.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2939179)   #64
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Yes I've seen preproduction photo of the Spa car & it has the correct satin finish on the speedline ? wheels, however at Spa they used a BBS type mesh pattern wheel IIRC. The Spa chassis is also the Bathurst winner, bloke in Melbourne owns it now.
Now you mention it, you're right, the Spa cars did have those wheels, but may not have had them all race. IIRC TWR ran both types at some events, like the TT when Tom had the BBS's on late in the race having started on the 'usual' ones. I presume they kep the BBS's on from 1983 as spares?
Old 13 Aug 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2939317)   #65
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Now you mention it, you're right, the Spa cars did have those wheels, but may not have had them all race. IIRC TWR ran both types at some events, like the TT when Tom had the BBS's on late in the race having started on the 'usual' ones. I presume they kep the BBS's on from 1983 as spares?
In fact, looking at pics, they seem to have used 3 different types of rims on the XJS in '84, so I wouldn't have been too surprised to see a mixture at some races.

the Speedlines(?). Were these designed specifically for the TWR Jags? I don't remember other teams using anything similar, and IIRC they're not dissimilar in styling to one of the designs of alloys used on the production cars at one point
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mendama...57625798580441

and these-http://www.flickr.com/photos/mendama...57625798580441
(they're not unlike these used on the Rovers...)

(and sometimes a mix of the two...!)

as well as the BBS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mendama...57623605216598

and I'm sure I've seen a pic recently somewhere showing a 1984 XJS on a mixture of Speedlines and BBS....
Old 13 Aug 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2939328)   #66
KA
Veteran

The Speedline/BBS mixture might be a figment of my imagination (I've looked at quite a few XJS pics recently!), but, just to thicken the plot even further, take a look at Rich Harman's 1984 TT grid pics here (towards the bottom of the page) Note the different wheels on the #1 & #3 cars.... Another variation!?
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...lverstone.html
Old 15 Aug 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2939746)   #67
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Is the third variation possibly a plate that bolts on over the Speedline wheel for brake temp ? & your not seeing things mate, a Speedline /BBS combo on the very first picture on your last link.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2955842)   #68
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
It has arrived.

Old 15 Sep 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2955915)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for those pics David, got mine middle of last week as well. Very pleased with it although I got hammered with a 32 quid import duty!!!

Worth it as a one-off purchase though!
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2976435)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

http://www.biante.com.au/news_537.htm

What will this mean for us Touring car diecast fanatics?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2976532)   #71
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
http://www.biante.com.au/news_537.htm

What will this mean for us Touring car diecast fanatics?
From what I understand the models they list that will now be discontinued are made by Autoart. If that is the case then this has ramifications for the industry well beyond touring car models and Australia!
Old 25 Oct 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2976617)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post
From what I understand the models they list that will now be discontinued are made by Autoart. If that is the case then this has ramifications for the industry well beyond touring car models and Australia!
Thanks for stating what I had been wondering!

I don't know if the actual 'supplier' in the article was AutoArt? I knew Biante had a licensing agreement or similar with them but wasn't sure if this actually involved the production or casting of the models as well or wether that was a separate entity in China that did that under contract for AutoArt or both?
Old 3 Nov 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2981184)   #73
KA
Veteran

I know very little about AutoArt or Biante, but did AutoArt do their manufacturing in-house, or was it contracted out to a third party in China?

For example, in the model train business, Hornby's manufacturing since the late 90's was actually done under contract by a company called Sanda Kan in China- Sanda Kan got into financial trouble a while back (and ended up being taken over by Kader, the parent company ironically of Hornby's major UK competitor, Bachmann...) and IIRC quite a lot of new Hornby product ended up being delayed by the upheaval.

Last edited by KA; 3 Nov 2011 at 18:26.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2982111)   #74
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
The factory was not Autoart, however it was the factory that also manufactured for TSM. TSM moved to recover their molds, however Biante did not. Biante lost the molds for the Brabham cars, the Moss cars & the Sierras. Perhaps they will be able to purchase from the receivers some of the molds as their V8SC molds will be of little use to anyone else.
Old 6 Nov 2011, 05:10 (Ref:2982134)   #75
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The factory was not Autoart, however it was the factory that also manufactured for TSM. TSM moved to recover their molds, however Biante did not. Biante lost the molds for the Brabham cars, the Moss cars & the Sierras. Perhaps they will be able to purchase from the receivers some of the molds as their V8SC molds will be of little use to anyone else.
Do they have such things as 'receivers' in China?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House