Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3845024)   #1
racerxf12004
Rookie

racerxf12004 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long Beach race in jeopardy because of 2028 Olympics?

I just saw a map of all the proposed construction they will have for the 2028 Olympics in Long Beach. Where grandstand 18 is, they will build a swimming pool. Long beach will be hosting 7 events. I guess it will take them 4 years to build all this. Thoughts on whether they will be able to have the existing circuit or a modified circuit down there during the construction/after its built?

https://lbpost.com/longbeachize/long...mmer-olympics/
Old 21 Aug 2018, 20:58 (Ref:3845281)   #2
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are obviously temporary venues so it won't take so long to set them up. You can set up temporary grandstands in a few weeks. A temporary pool shouldn't either take very long to install; I know some multipurpose arenas have been converted into swimming venues quite rapidly. No idea how long it will take to prepare the BMX course.

Maybe the overall work in the area may prevent the 2028 race. But I think this should pose no threat for the races in previous years or the following year as these are temporary venues.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3845283)   #3
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxf12004 View Post
I just saw a map of all the proposed construction they will have for the 2028 Olympics in Long Beach. Where grandstand 18 is, they will build a swimming pool. Long beach will be hosting 7 events. I guess it will take them 4 years to build all this. Thoughts on whether they will be able to have the existing circuit or a modified circuit down there during the construction/after its built?

https://lbpost.com/longbeachize/long...mmer-olympics/
By the looks of it, everything built for the Olympics at Long Beach will be temporary or renovations of the existing structures. That includes the swimming pool. Perhaps some temporary structures will have to begin building before the 2028 race so maybe there will be a bit less space for paddock and grandstands, but it's still a decade away and plans can be changed and adjusted. I'm sure the organisers of the Long Beach Grand Prix will be involved and ensure the race can go on. For now, nothing to really worry about.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3845381)   #4
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Those are obviously temporary venues so it won't take so long to set them up. You can set up temporary grandstands in a few weeks. A temporary pool shouldn't either take very long to install... [clip]

In theory, yes. But in practice it might be different. In Toronto, for the Pan Am Games in 2015, it took them months to install a single beach volleyball court in the middle of a parking lot. There was some laughing about that in the Honda Indy Toronto camp, believe me.

Having said that, it was possible to run both events even though a huge chunk of the Pan Am games took place on the same site. It did mean that the Indy had to be moved by a month though. I wonder how receptive Long Beach would be to doing the same? Would be a non-traditional mess-up of the schedule, but to save the race for that year I think it would be acceptable.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3845403)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is some years hence and the Olympic games themselves take place from July 21 to August 6.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3845436)   #6
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
In theory, yes. But in practice it might be different. In Toronto, for the Pan Am Games in 2015, it took them months to install a single beach volleyball court in the middle of a parking lot. There was some laughing about that in the Honda Indy Toronto camp, believe me.
The difference between a professional and an amateur is how they handle the situation when something goes wrong. A pro takes the necessary step back and then...problem solved. If amateur's hands still move, usually it's a mess.

With skilled labour hockey to basketball transformation takes less than a day and hockey to Monster Jam...maybe a little bit longer.

So back to the original topic: I don't see any clash with the Summer Olympics since the Long Beach GP is in mid-April and Olympics begin in the end July.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3845627)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I doubt that the swimming pool gets build in two months, even if it's temporary.

Meanwhile, Toyota is a major Olympic sponsor.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 18:32 (Ref:3846940)   #8
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
The difference between a professional and an amateur is how they handle the situation when something goes wrong. A pro takes the necessary step back and then...problem solved. If amateur's hands still move, usually it's a mess.

With skilled labour hockey to basketball transformation takes less than a day and hockey to Monster Jam...maybe a little bit longer.

So back to the original topic: I don't see any clash with the Summer Olympics since the Long Beach GP is in mid-April and Olympics begin in the end July.

All good points. I could waffle on about the hotel that was intended to be open for the 2015 Pan Am Games too. It opened all right... this year.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 04:11 (Ref:3913421)   #9
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the stuff that see around the LBGP track wasn't there the past 40, 30, 20 and even 10 years. The track remained in the same spot, with different configs. I don't see how this will affect the race. An aquarium, a mall, parking structures hasn't effected it......The pits and Turn 6 was actually in the ocean back in the 50's.... I won't worry.
Old 22 Jun 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3913480)   #10
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
Most of the stuff that see around the LBGP track wasn't there the past 40, 30, 20 and even 10 years. The track remained in the same spot, with different configs. I don't see how this will affect the race. An aquarium, a mall, parking structures hasn't effected it......The pits and Turn 6 was actually in the ocean back in the 50's.... I won't worry.
You've got that right. Also, Long Beach Performing Arts Center is there and marina is adjacent to the main straight. Dozens of year-around and seasonal businesses are inside or adjacent to the Grand Prix track, Google Maps actually shows only part of it.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3914268)   #11
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
... the hotel that was intended to be open for the 2015 Pan Am Games too. It opened all right... this year.
People sometimes forget that it's not just the actual track itself that's needed, but also the space for paddock/garage, pit lane, grandstands, hospitality, vendors and displays. In large cities, it's rare for that kind of space to be left available for a race promoter to use on one weekend a year, if someone else with the money wants to build something permanent.
From what I can see, it annoyingly looks like the former pit lane and grandstand area in Toronto was displaced, not for the actual hotel building, but it's over-sized and largely unused backyard where the hotel can have an annual wine picnic. It shouldn't have been very difficult to work out some kind of compromise to have half of that backyard be made with movable concrete tree planters, benches, etc., that could be temporarily shifted out of the way for the race one weekend every summer.
Old 26 Jun 2019, 15:55 (Ref:3914296)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With the anticipation of the "Big One" plus rising sea water, it's only a matter of time, the Olympics aside...