Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 17 Aug 2020, 08:11 (Ref:3995893)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems Albon was used as a guinea pig by Red Bull. It did make his job that much harder
Old 17 Aug 2020, 08:12 (Ref:3995894)   #77
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Trafic?

Like Max said "I can overtake them easy"

Albon was in the same car that finished 2nd and lapped the whole midfield
I see your point, but no. There's a difference between being 2nd and getting blue flags and being 16th. Also, Albon did pass them. But an effective strategy is about putting your car in a position where it doesn't lose time. RBRs strategy for Albon was abysmal.

Max is destroying him. Albon doesn't have long left in that seat. Doesn't mean the RBR strat was any good.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3995904)   #78
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Max knew that he would come out behind one or two cars on tyres that were at the absolute end of their life. Albon was on the hardest tyre and put out in the middle of the frantic midfield battle with cars who still had tyre life left. Ferrari often get a hard time on here for their strategy, but with hindsight RBR's strategy for Albon here was terrible.

Albon is clearly nowhere near the pace of his teammate, and is struggling in qualy - it is therefore very important that he gets much help as he can, and that is not what he got in this race.

RBR seem to be in a mess. They are the only team with a car that can come anywhere near the Mercedes. Yet since Ricciardo left they only have one driver in the reckoning,with all 3 of the replacements not performing at all well. Ricciardo would be in the mix if he was still there, taking points of Mercedes and running close enough to put pressure on.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 08:44 (Ref:3995905)   #79
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I see your point, but no. There's a difference between being 2nd and getting blue flags and being 16th. Also, Albon did pass them. But an effective strategy is about putting your car in a position where it doesn't lose time. RBRs strategy for Albon was abysmal.

Max is destroying him. Albon doesn't have long left in that seat. Doesn't mean the RBR strat was any good.
Like I said: i meant the speed difference between the RB16 and the midfield cars, and he did not overtake them all, he finished 8 even behind some cars that were lapped by his teammate
Old 17 Aug 2020, 11:56 (Ref:3995944)   #80
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Like I said: i meant the speed difference between the RB16 and the midfield cars, and he did not overtake them all, he finished 8 even behind some cars that were lapped by his teammate
You theory seems to rely on a hypothetical situation where Max is also 16th and somehow recovers to 2nd. One day is not equal to another. One circuit is not equal to another. Not sure how you can imply that Max did it when Max did not do anything of the sort.

Max is killing Albon. Albon is almost certainly going to be sacked. There's no need to be a fanboy and be a bad winner and try and deny RBR screwed up Albons strat.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3995950)   #81
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can understand using your 2nd driver to test out the effectiveness of a one stopper particularly when wins are so hard to come by.

What i dont get is why, after realizing the hards would not work and after Max had stopped more that once, why they kept Albon on the hards.

Maybe i missed something else, did doze off, but did he run out of fresh tires? Was there an issue with his car?

With 20 odd laps to go could Albon have not stopped again for better rubber?
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:28 (Ref:3995956)   #82
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
He only had one set of new mediums left.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 12:38 (Ref:3995963)   #83
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
He only had one set of new mediums left.
Thanks.

With the time taken to stop again, he probably wouldnt have helped him get much higher that 8th anyways. might have caught Vettel but then Ferrari might have covered.

Maybe it was worth the expirment then. All Albon lost was a couple of spots and the gain, if the one stopper worked, could have been a win for Max.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3995979)   #84
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe so, as we know hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sometimes it’s worth trying a different strategy. However it hasn’t made things easier for Alex
Old 17 Aug 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3995984)   #85
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe so, as we know hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sometimes it’s worth trying a different strategy. However it hasn’t made things easier for Alex
Very true.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3996030)   #86
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I think he will, the team is built around Max - the No2 is there to pick up WCC points or be there for a podium if the Mercs and Max retire. Gasly has done much better awat for the RBR pressure cooker at AT. No one will do significantly better at Red Bull in the 2nd seat, I can't see them putting a top liner in there alongside max which will only de-stabalise the team.

As long as he picks up good points, he will be fine IMO.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 00:32 (Ref:3996102)   #87
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I think he will, the team is built around Max - the No2 is there to pick up WCC points or be there for a podium if the Mercs and Max retire. Gasly has done much better awat for the RBR pressure cooker at AT. No one will do significantly better at Red Bull in the 2nd seat, I can't see them putting a top liner in there alongside max which will only de-stabalise the team.

As long as he picks up good points, he will be fine IMO.
The only five drivers that I can see being a possible nuisance to Max are in no particular order Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Leclerc and Ricciardo, and I am not too sure how any of them would stack up against him at RBR, so I think that RBR have a lot of flexibility in choosing a good number 2 for Max.

Max is a class act as a driver.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 01:09 (Ref:3996106)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Just my opinion and one no doubt painted by cynisim...

But not expecting much from Alonso and lost faith with Ric.

Maybe Alonso surprises but i squarely expect Norris to clean Ric's clock next year.

I should probably say i will eat my hat if otherwise.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 03:43 (Ref:3996116)   #89
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Just my opinion and one no doubt painted by cynisim...

But not expecting much from Alonso and lost faith with Ric.

Maybe Alonso surprises but i squarely expect Norris to clean Ric's clock next year.

I should probably say i will eat my hat if otherwise.

I think Alonso is going to have his work cut out for him at Renault next year.

What caused you to lose faith in Danni Rcc?

I like Norris, but I don't know if he will handle Ricciardo, he has not been up against anyone of that level yet.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 04:29 (Ref:3996118)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
I guess its a few things but mainly because Ric does not seem to be dragging his useless team forward at all.

i think a couple of dire seasons in a manu built car with no results at all point towards him being a quality journeyman and we only seem to see him now at the end of races sparing with Stroll while Lando passes both of them (with the same engine as Ric has).

All speculation of course.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 08:45 (Ref:3996153)   #91
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
On Ricciardo - I think that the struggles of all the young hotshots that RBR have put into his old seat have only enhanced my view of how well Ricciardo was actually doing against Verstappen. Since leaving RBR, he has outperformed both his teammates. I do slightly question his choice of joining Renault, but perhaps McLaren next year will be a better choice.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 09:44 (Ref:3996164)   #92
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
On Ricciardo - I think that the struggles of all the young hotshots that RBR have put into his old seat have only enhanced my view of how well Ricciardo was actually doing against Verstappen. Since leaving RBR, he has outperformed both his teammates. I do slightly question his choice of joining Renault, but perhaps McLaren next year will be a better choice.
I think Ricciardo is indeed an underrated driver.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3996167)   #93
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
The same applies to Sainz - at Torro Rosso there was nothing between Sainz and Verstappen.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 11:45 (Ref:3996191)   #94
S griffin
Veteran

In my view Ricciardo is at least as good as Nico Rosberg was. Maybe not quite on a par with the likes of Hamilton, Verstappen and Leclerc, but good enough to beat them more than occasionslly
Old 18 Aug 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3996235)   #95
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The same applies to Sainz - at Torro Rosso there was nothing between Sainz and Verstappen.
!985 Season

Verstappen 49 points
Sainz 12 points

Best Place in 1985

Verstappen 2 x 4th place
Sainz 1 x 7th Place

I think Verstappen outqualified Sainz 7 - 3 as well.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 15:05 (Ref:3996239)   #96
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
!985 Season

Verstappen 49 points
Sainz 12 points

Best Place in 1985

Verstappen 2 x 4th place
Sainz 1 x 7th Place

I think Verstappen outqualified Sainz 7 - 3 as well.

1985?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 15:46 (Ref:3996251)   #97
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
1985?
Two correct digits. One in the correct position!

Richard
Old 18 Aug 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3996258)   #98
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If Red Bull fires Albon, who are they hiring? Tsunoda?
Old 18 Aug 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3996284)   #99
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If Red Bull fires Albon, who are they hiring? Tsunoda?
Insufficient superlicense points for Tsunoda at the moment. In fact, I’m not sure if he even has any?

This is where Red Bull fall down, as they actually don’t have anyone coming through. Neither Vips or Daruvala could get a superlicence at this stage, so to replace Albon they could only promote from Alpha Tauri or sign someone outside of the Red Bull “pool”
Old 18 Aug 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3996296)   #100
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
1985?

Maybe he’s talking about their fathers, as Max and Carlos Jr weren’t born yet