Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2020, 19:42 (Ref:3993863)   #51
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon Ferrari, knowing Vettel is off to RP maybe letting him flounder with the current car and throwing all help at Leclerc.
Suddenly.. Vettel is a number 2 driver..
Old 8 Aug 2020, 19:46 (Ref:3993864)   #52
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
I reckon Ferrari, knowing Vettel is off to RP maybe letting him flounder with the current car and throwing all help at Leclerc.
Suddenly.. Vettel is a number 2 driver..
Not sure I agree completely.....ferrari need to pull results out with both drivers. There’s no doubt Charles was better than Seb last year and with the recent news, I think it’s gotten into Sebs head which is down right now....it happened a bit at red bull when he was no longer getting the better of his teammate

I like Seb don’t get me wrong, but for a 4 time champ he has had a track record of too many mistakes and losing out to younger teammates when they’re given equal treatment
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3993873)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Not sure I agree completely.....ferrari need to pull results out with both drivers. There’s no doubt Charles was better than Seb last year and with the recent news, I think it’s gotten into Sebs head which is down right now....it happened a bit at red bull when he was no longer getting the better of his teammate

I like Seb don’t get me wrong, but for a 4 time champ he has had a track record of too many mistakes and losing out to younger teammates when they’re given equal treatment
Ferrari are currently 4th in the WCC, with 43 points. McLaren are 3rd with 51 and Renault 5th with 32. Without a decent result tomorrow Renault could overhaul Ferrari, or at least be snapping at their heals, so why not concentrate their efforts on Leclerc?
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3993874)   #54
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Ferrari are currently 4th in the WCC, with 43 points. McLaren are 3rd with 51 and Renault 5th with 32. Without a decent result tomorrow Renault could overhaul Ferrari, or at least be snapping at their heals, so why not concentrate their efforts on Leclerc?
Because they need 2 drivers scoring points. Let’s face it, ferrari have the resources to run both cars correctly, the drivers have the same equipment so there is no reason Vettel shouldn’t be able to match or get close to Charles

With Renault and Mclaren scoring points regularly with 2 cars, red bull have 1 strong driver and another that is starting to get it together, ferrari can’t afford to have Vettel running around in 10/11 place, relying on Charles to pull the full weight of the team.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:45 (Ref:3993876)   #55
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who even knows anymore? Role on 2022 imo

Still, with a budget of £320m a year Mercedes wont ever be stopped. Its too easy.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:50 (Ref:3993877)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I do wonder if Racing point will be taking a step back if they haven’t signed already....Vettel isn’t exactly doing much at the moment is he?
They must have been hitting the bottle if that rumour is correct....
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:50 (Ref:3993878)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Because they need 2 drivers scoring points. Let’s face it, ferrari have the resources to run both cars correctly, the drivers have the same equipment so there is no reason Vettel shouldn’t be able to match or get close to Charles

With Renault and Mclaren scoring points regularly with 2 cars, red bull have 1 strong driver and another that is starting to get it together, ferrari can’t afford to have Vettel running around in 10/11 place, relying on Charles to pull the full weight of the team.
Despite the resources and the drivers having the same equipment, Vettel's not delivering the goods. He's finished 6th once, 10th twice and had one retirement.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:51 (Ref:3993879)   #58
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post

Still, with a budget of £320m a year Mercedes wont ever be stopped. Its too easy.
Easy?

Well ferraris budget last year was £354 million and what have they done with it?

Red bull could happily match their budget if the Boss thought it was worth it.

Racing Point have proven you don’t need Ferraris budget to beat top teams, so money isn’t everything
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:53 (Ref:3993882)   #59
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Despite the resources and the drivers having the same equipment, Vettel's not delivering the goods. He's finished 6th once, 10th twice and had one retirement.
Correct....so the driver needs to step up. But again, they can’t afford for just Charles to pull the full weight of the team, they need both cars in the hunt.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 20:58 (Ref:3993883)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Correct....so the driver needs to step up. But again, they can’t afford for just Charles to pull the full weight of the team, they need both cars in the hunt.
They can't force Vettel to step up and as he won't be racing for them next season, where is the incentive?
Old 8 Aug 2020, 21:04 (Ref:3993884)   #61
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
They can't force Vettel to step up and as he won't be racing for them next season, where is the incentive?
They shouldn’t need to force him.....a few million dollars and the privilege of being an F1 driver should be enough! Either that or drop him and get someone in that gives a damn.

Either way, as I said there is no point in putting all your eggs in one basket, and I doubt ferrari would do....again, they need both cars scoring points
Old 8 Aug 2020, 21:18 (Ref:3993885)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
They shouldn’t need to force him.....a few million dollars and the privilege of being an F1 driver should be enough! Either that or drop him and get someone in that gives a damn.

Either way, as I said there is no point in putting all your eggs in one basket, and I doubt ferrari would do....again, they need both cars scoring points
He's got plenty of money as it is and if the rumours are true, that he's got the Aston Martin/Racing Point drive next year, then he's still got the privilege of being an F1 driver. Unless he ups his game or they replace him and that in itself won't necessarily guarantee results, I don't think both drivers will be scoring points, so Ferrari might as well concentrate on Leclerc. I could be wrong and there are still a number of races to go.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 00:57 (Ref:3993894)   #63
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post

Nope.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 03:07 (Ref:3993904)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

He has not forgotten how to drive.

Has the FIA had a look at the Ferrari data between the drivers?

In intermediate 2, Leclerc's highest speed is 273 km/h and Vettel is 269.8 km/h the biggest difference between any 2 team mates.

There is something weird going on here.

Last edited by wnut; 9 Aug 2020 at 03:23.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 03:18 (Ref:3993906)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They don’t need to look into it, there is more than enough proof already.

Vettel was 0.615s slower round Silverstone than Leclerc! In the “same” car. Why?!
Old 9 Aug 2020, 04:31 (Ref:3993912)   #66
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Vettel was 0.615s slower round Silverstone than Leclerc! In the “same” car. Why?!
My question exactly.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 05:43 (Ref:3993916)   #67
wnut
Veteran

Qualifying YTD Vettel v Leclerc

Austria Leclerc by 0.054 sec

Styrian GP Vettel by 0.083 sec

Hungary Vettel by 0.043 sec

Britain Leclerc by 0.912 sec

70 th GP Leclerc by 0.369 sec
(In intermediate 2, Leclerc's highest speed is 273 km/h and Vettel is 269.8 km/h the biggest difference between any 2 team mates)

Calculated on last session both in qualifying.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 06:03 (Ref:3993918)   #68
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Hoping today's race will not be another Mercedes walk over but fear if nothing goes wrong for them they could end up lapping almost the entire field today.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 06:38 (Ref:3993922)   #69
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
My question exactly.
Certainly last weekend some of the difference was attributed to different setup/ wing choices the tried in practice and lack of running for Vettel. Ferrari went with a radical low downforce rear wing to help them on the straights but it doesn’t to give Vettel any confidence through the corners...we know he traditionally needs a really planted rear end. It was noted in the TV broadcasts. That would also partially explain the lack of top end speed....if he’s nervous getting on the throttle it would translate down the straights.

I’m sure someone will be micro analysing it after the race though. Be interesting to see the cause, and I hope it’s a car problem rather than just bad driving by vettel

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 9 Aug 2020 at 06:54.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 06:51 (Ref:3993924)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel just seems low on confidence after a couple of years now of pretty grim races on the whole.

The car doesn't really suit his extremely small list of strengths.

Lastly, team and driver are probably pretty fed up with each other.

Not really a recipe for performance alongside their beloved Leclerc.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 06:56 (Ref:3993925)   #71
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Not really a recipe for performance alongside their beloved Leclerc.
It’s starting to feel more and more like Hamilton/ Alonso.,,,

Young driver comes in, upstages establishes world champion, team starts to question why they’re paying all that money for a driver who isn’t performing and giving them a return on investment, team starts to get behind the young driver
Old 9 Aug 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3993933)   #72
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It’s starting to feel more and more like Hamilton/ Alonso.,,,

Young driver comes in, upstages establishes world champion, team starts to question why they’re paying all that money for a driver who isn’t performing and giving them a return on investment, team starts to get behind the young driver

Except Alonso remained on top of his game with nothing between the two of them in terms of speed.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:18 (Ref:3993939)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I think Vettel's problems started before Leclerc came on the scene, with 2018 being the pivotal year and Leclerc's arrival in 2019 just compounded them.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3993941)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Oh, I’ve just realised I made a mistake, that this wasn’t the gap in qualifying yesterday. I looked up the wrong race, that was Silverstone last year. The gap yesterday was 0.369s (0.912s last weekend). Crikey, this has been going on for at least a year!

This is it people, we are through the looking glass.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3993942)   #75
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Adam, I love you.