Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2020, 18:47 (Ref:4000986)   #51
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hope you all have a good time.......I haven't biked more than a few hundred yards for years, but could have been quite tempted to join you - but last weekend I was up in the North-East for the first Italian Car Show I've been to all year, and on the 19th I'll be down near the venue for your ride at AROC's Southern Alfa Day at Stonor Park....... would be a bit much to travel down there two weekends running
Old 9 Sep 2020, 04:17 (Ref:4001056)   #52
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
My Daughter is a vegetarian. Is there anyone else. ?? Other wise its burgers and sausages in buns. Alan was on about salad "horrible stuff".
I was once a vegetarian.... for about a week. I had just moved out of home, back in the 70's, taken on a mortgage, running a race car, and money was short, meat was expensive, and as I lived opposite the village pub, the White Horse in Norton, the landlord of which used to let me store car and trailer in a shed for nothing, I felt I couldnt give up beer.... so vegetarian I became.

The next weekend I went to Mum and Dad's (laundry to be done etc ) to be welcomed home to a steak dinner. I decided on the spot I was not cut out to be a vegetarian so became an omnivore again. I think I gave up coffee instead, which was also expensive. Been an avid tea drinker since, though I do like a coffee as well nowadays.

Edit: Just wrote that and on re-reading it realised Iain was asking the vegetarian question re catering for the weekend, not as a general question.
No Iain, sadly I wont be attending, so you are safe. We are locked down unable to venture more than 5 klms from home, let alone out of the country.

I will be there in thought though, and will crack a bottle of red in tribute. Wish all those attending a great safe weekend.

(Maybe I will take the bike round the block, with a bottle of red in the drink holder!)
Cheers
Chris

Last edited by E.B; 9 Sep 2020 at 04:23.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 08:17 (Ref:4001071)   #53
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alan/Iain,

With many of the riders inexperienced or simply unfit (no offence intended) it may be a good idea to lay on a 'Broom Wagon' as used in major bike races, let's face it not many will carry a puncture outfit, and even if they do repairing a tyre beside the road is no one's idea of fun. I once had to push a friend 10 miles when his chain broke, not an easy thing to do.

So if mechanical problems occur, or fatigue sets in a lift back to base would be a good idea. Maybe some one without a bike could man a phone to take 'emergency calls for assistance from anyone stuck beside the road.

Bauble (been there,done that, got the racing jersey)

Best wished to all protagonists, and I hope the weather is fair and the wind be always on your back.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 08:25 (Ref:4001072)   #54
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mary and MIke's family are producing a Tribute calendar to remember Mike, it uses a number of pictures from the Tribute album. The price will be modest, I am told, and any profits will go to a suitable charity.

The bike ride will be a good place to spread the word, so do ask Mary for details.

Hopefully details can be posted on the forum, without breaking any rules on advertising once it is published.

Bauble.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 09:01 (Ref:4001081)   #55
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Alan/Iain,

With many of the riders inexperienced or simply unfit (no offence intended) it may be a good idea to lay on a 'Broom Wagon' as used in major bike races, let's face it not many will carry a puncture outfit, and even if they do repairing a tyre beside the road is no one's idea of fun. I once had to push a friend 10 miles when his chain broke, not an easy thing to do.

So if mechanical problems occur, or fatigue sets in a lift back to base would be a good idea. Maybe some one without a bike could man a phone to take 'emergency calls for assistance from anyone stuck beside the road.

Bauble (been there,done that, got the racing jersey)

Best wished to all protagonists, and I hope the weather is fair and the wind be always on your back.
I'll have a couple of spare inner tubes and a CO2 inflator with me but maybe the broom wagon is something worth considering. The weather forecast is looking pretty good at the moment.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 12:34 (Ref:4001108)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got a spare inner tube and puncture repair kit.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 13:39 (Ref:4001118)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've got a spare inner tube and puncture repair kit.
And I am sure everyone will wait for you to sort things out. Peter, offering helpful advice at every stage.

Don't forget tyre levers, sticking plasters (for knuckles), pump, chain link remover, spare ball bearings, axle grease, 'C' spanner, assorted allen keys and spanners, sun screen, anabolic steroids, energy gels, water bottles (bidon), and
a few bob for refreshments. taxi fares ect.

Last edited by bauble; 9 Sep 2020 at 13:45.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:39 (Ref:4001167)   #58
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
And I am sure everyone will wait for you to sort things out. Peter, offering helpful advice at every stage.

Don't forget tyre levers, sticking plasters (for knuckles), pump, chain link remover, spare ball bearings, axle grease, 'C' spanner, assorted allen keys and spanners, sun screen, anabolic steroids, energy gels, water bottles (bidon), and
a few bob for refreshments. taxi fares ect.
Blood supplies? Defibrillator?

Medical team.

Air ambulance on standby ...

But then it might all start to look like something that needs regulating.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:39 (Ref:4001169)   #59
Mary Bell
Rookie

Mary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMary Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey I did 100 miles with none of that!!
Tubeless tyres seem to work for me.
I ride with a lightweight rucksack so load me up. I have some fancy tool thing that was Mikes that looks useful. Weather looks good. It will be just me David is on harvest.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 17:18 (Ref:4001200)   #60
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry that I'm not able to join you all for this fitting memorial. I am however away cycling, tomorrow New Forest, then Friday and Saturday on the western half of the Isle of Whyte, so we shall be sure to remember Mike, and will have a bee (or several) in his honour. Will be with fellow Historic Roadsporter, Morgan +4 racer, Jonathan Rushton, and my brother - former Formula Ford and Touring Car (Anglia) racer, David.

Good luck all with your exertions ... no 'broom wagon' for us!

For anyone going to Cadwell we can compare notes there! Am hoping to find a suitable 30-40km ride to exercise my mountain bike up there too ... nice and hilly!

James
Old 9 Sep 2020, 19:16 (Ref:4001220)   #61
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I’ve done 12 miles so far this week on Daniel's old road bike, one more ride on Friday which should double that distance. I’m sure I will be at the back, Daniel is riding there from home beforehand so he will be at the back with me & we can help as necessary.

Looking forward to it, Mike would be chuffed that he’s managed to get me to do some exercise
Old 9 Sep 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4001262)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm out tomorrow for a quick 10miles. Looking forward to it. So far I've only been out on the bike on my own.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 21:41 (Ref:4001273)   #63
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm out tomorrow for a quick 10miles. Looking forward to it. So far I've only been out on the bike on my own.
Well it's not a tandem is it, Peter?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 21:45 (Ref:4001275)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Very sorry that I'm not able to join you all for this fitting memorial. I am however away cycling, tomorrow New Forest, then Friday and Saturday on the western half of the Isle of Whyte, so we shall be sure to remember Mike, and will have a bee (or several) in his honour. Will be with fellow Historic Roadsporter, Morgan +4 racer, Jonathan Rushton, and my brother - former Formula Ford and Touring Car (Anglia) racer, David.

Good luck all with your exertions ... no 'broom wagon' for us!

For anyone going to Cadwell we can compare notes there! Am hoping to find a suitable 30-40km ride to exercise my mountain bike up there too ... nice and hilly!

James

That's about 10 laps of the Circuit isn't it?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 22:04 (Ref:4001283)   #65
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
how do today's new restrictions (party of 6 or less etc) affect the proceedings?
Old 10 Sep 2020, 06:04 (Ref:4001328)   #66
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
how do today's new restrictions (party of 6 or less etc) affect the proceedings?
Don't they come into effect on Monday?
Old 10 Sep 2020, 06:13 (Ref:4001329)   #67
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup Monday.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 07:13 (Ref:4001343)   #68
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
We're planning to cycle in separate groups of no more than 6.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 08:07 (Ref:4001353)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sadly unless I can get a replacement cassette my cycling is cancelled. The rear duralia has just snapped. Off to Halfords to see if it can be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
20200910_084531.jpg  
Old 10 Sep 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4001354)   #70
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Looks like it's the rear mech hanger that's broken. Probably 50/50 whether your local Halfords has one in stock. I can lend you a bike if you draw a blank.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4001355)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks. I suspect you are correct.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 08:29 (Ref:4001358)   #72
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Did the bike fall onto the rear mech? If not it looks like a warranty job to me. The mech hangers are designed to break to save the mech itself.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 08:40 (Ref:4001362)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No I was just changing gear going up a series of hills and it snapped. I've ridden up these hills a number of times they are quite short but very steep.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4001365)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No I was just changing gear going up a series of hills and it snapped. I've ridden up these hills a number of times they are quite short but very steep.
Too much power Peter by the sounds of it!
Old 10 Sep 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4001366)   #75
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Like Alan says we have spare bikes peter.