Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Dec 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3183076)   #251
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
migliacars has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I have now joined in with helping this project. We want the simulation to be as accurate as possible, so can anybody please help us by answering the following questions?

1. Engine peak power and at what rpm? I've read 200hp at the flywheel, was this in Group A spec?
2. Engine peak torque and at what rpm? I've heard that these engines suffered from turbo lag. What was the useful rev range?
3. Diff ratios?
4. Gearbox ratios?
5. Weight? According to Group A regs, i believe the min. weight of these cars (sans driver) would have been 880kg. Did they get down to this?
6. Now we get down to obscure stuff, does anyone have an idea what spring ratings or geometry was used?
7. Where the Metro Challenge cars built to Group A spec or Group N or something else?

cool when is the game gona be ready
Old 8 Jan 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3186529)   #252
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
avon tyres

does any one know what size tyres the works mg turbo used
Old 8 Jan 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3186531)   #253
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport View Post
And here is the little baby in question - lifted (hopefully no a problem!) from a post on Facebook by Richard Walbyoff, and captioned...

'1984 Metro turbo being rebuilt ready for 2013 season to be driven by Patrick Watts just like 1984'
is there any more info on where this will be raced, what championship
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:10 (Ref:3186545)   #254
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I understand he's running it with JDClassics, but it will also fit with Masters and the new HSCC series. Of course, with Masters he can combine it with running his Mustang in the pre 66 touring cars.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 21:04 (Ref:3186567)   #255
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I understand he's running it with JDClassics, but it will also fit with Masters and the new HSCC series. Of course, with Masters he can combine it with running his Mustang in the pre 66 touring cars.
Peter, where will Metro fit in Masters? It's JDCC or Touring Car Trophy. At least one JDCC race will be combined with Masters Celebration 70s (Brands) though.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3186589)   #256
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry, yes I was confusing the 70's and JDC.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3186715)   #257
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sorry, yes I was confusing the 70's and JDC.
Easy to confuse. I seem to use an inordinate amount of memory cells trying to remember which race series is which....

Going back to the poster's question, the owner of the Metro being discussed races one of his other cars, an Allard J2, with Motor Racing Legends in their Woodcote Trophy series for 1950s sports cars. So I would assume that he intends to use the Metro in the JD Classics Challenge series that MRL also run. However the car is also eligible for the new Touring Car Trophy that takes in Gp2, GpA and Supertourer cars. They are running 4 races this season with HSCC.

Going back to Metro history, having read trough this thread about Computervision cars 34 & 35, looking at racingsportscars archive it shows pics of a Metro wearing race number 51 & 52 at two '84 TT meetings? Apologies if that has already been discussed.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 9 Jan 2013 at 07:00. Reason: Sp
Old 9 Jan 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3186750)   #258
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Easy to confuse. I seem to use an inordinate amount of memory cells trying to remember which race series is which....

Going back to the poster's question, the owner of the Metro being discussed races one of his other cars, an Allard J2, with Motor Racing Legends in their Woodcote Trophy series for 1950s sports cars. So I would assume that he intends to use the Metro in the JD Classics Challenge series that MRL also run. However the car is also eligible for the new Touring Car Trophy that takes in Gp2, GpA and Supertourer cars. They are running 4 races this season with HSCC.

Going back to Metro history, having read trough this thread about Computervision cars 34 & 35, looking at racingsportscars archive it shows pics of a Metro wearing race number 51 & 52 at two '84 TT meetings? Apologies if that has already been discussed.....

can anyone post a link to these race series.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3186762)   #259
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
When I get around to it, you'll find them on the Historic Forum Calendar. The first JDC race is at Donington, on the May bank holiday weekend.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3186789)   #260
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by migliacars View Post
can anyone post a link to these race series.
Do you not have google? Type in JD Classics Challenge and it will appear...

Touring Car Trophy doesn't have a website, but HSCC are running their races. Type in HSCC etc etc.....

Old 9 Jan 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3186881)   #261
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Can't wait to see it (wonder if you would be tempted to buy the other one?! )

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Mike, but the 51 and 52 cars from the TT were the regular Computervision BSCC cars from earlier in the season having a late season run out (possibly with sales in mind?). I have a feeling that the 3rd BSCC car, Paul Taft's smart Klaxon one, may already have been sold (or rented out) to Germany by then.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3186932)   #262
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Mike, but the 51 and 52 cars from the TT were the regular Computervision BSCC cars from earlier in the season having a late season run out (possibly with sales in mind?). I have a feeling that the 3rd BSCC car, Paul Taft's smart Klaxon one, may already have been sold (or rented out) to Germany by then.

OK, so different cars then! Easily confused at my age.......
Old 9 Jan 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3186980)   #263
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
Quote:
Do you not have google? Type in JD Classics Challenge and it will appear...

Touring Car Trophy doesn't have a website, but HSCC are running their races. Type in HSCC etc etc.....

Got it.
im really looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3187058)   #264
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OK, so different cars then! Easily confused at my age.......
Nah, seriously, I think a few people have wondered how many there were and which was which!!
Old 10 Jan 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3187159)   #265
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Nah, seriously, I think a few people have wondered how many there were and which was which!!
As has been discussed before on Capri and other threads, it was normal practice in the 'old days' to move chassis numbers about to suit carnets or whatever. In my WRC days we used to have the number and chassis plates seperate in case another car needed them. Made tracing exact history very difficult...............
Old 8 Mar 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3216080)   #266
111SLi
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bromley, Keny
111SLi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if it's any help but some information and requirements of the Challenge Turbos are in this article on Metropower
http://metropower.org.uk/forum/forum...=76430&posts=2

Feel free to sign up to Metropower, we have quite an interest in the Challenge cars but no one there knows anything. Come over and share!
Old 1 Apr 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3227644)   #267
mm sport
Rookie

mm sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MM Sport

Hi to All. I happen to be an owner of an MG group A chasis no 5, 1983.
I have been the proud owner for the last 10 years. In mint condition and has only raced for 1 year - 1986. THe car is currently in Athens. I would like to sell - offers accepted.
If you wish to request photos or more details on the car pls contact me
Babis Papanastasopoulos - babis.motors@yahoo.gr
Old 2 Apr 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3227892)   #268
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good morning Babis,

I was very interested to hear that you own the Group A MG Metro Turbo chassis #5. Thank you for telling us where the car is now, and where it has been for the last 10 years.

If you can send me further details and photos of the car that would be very much appreciated. My email address is david.sims63 @ ntlworld.com (remove the gaps either side of the @ symbol).

Many thanks.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3228086)   #269
mm sport
Rookie

mm sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks david .. i will be forwarding all to you this week

babis.
Old 6 May 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3243605)   #270
Matt_Tupman
Rookie

Matt_Tupman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not my picture but here's Patrick Watt's Metro at Donington on Saturday.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toneton...57633410058955

Watt's and Nick Swift put in a very good performance beating some very impressive machinery!

http://mstworld.com/msptresult.aspx?...esultfile=hsc5
Old 6 May 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3243634)   #271
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looked great in the flesh and pretty quick on the track.
Old 28 May 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3412087)   #272
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Patrick Watts has acquired chassis #5 from Greece and it willl be restored to Computervision colours ready for nexr year.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3459903)   #273
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Found a couple of photos I took in the paddock at the Brands Hatch British Grand Prix (17th July 1982) of the Unipart Metro Challenge Mini Moke support vehicle which may be of interest.
The Datapost Metros were racing on the day in the GP support races.

Old 21 Oct 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3467187)   #274
Nicklouse
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nicklouse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys, a question, the MG Metro challenge and the MG Metro Turbo challenge.?

Same different or did one not exist?

Excluding the engine how different were the cars?

As I have been reading through this thread bells have been ringing. And I may have info on one of the cars.

How and where where the "chassis numbers" put?

The car in question has actually been posted in this thread two times all ready.
Old 22 Oct 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3467319)   #275
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hiya

The Austin Metro Challenge started in 1981 and then became the MG Metro Challenge from 1983-86 and then became Turbo-charged in 1987/88.

No idea on chassis I'm afraid but we have people among us who may well know!

This particular thread is about the numerically much less and therefore easier (in theory) to track Group A Metro thread, which are the cars that raced in the British Saloon/Touring cars in 1983-85.

I think we have a separate thread for Challenge cars, I need to check....

Tags
arg, btcc, group a, metro turbo, roger dowson engineering