Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2287190)   #1
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat pulling out of BTCC

So, where now for Jason Plato. Btcc left with only one constructor and becomes rather hollow.

I wonder if it will affect WTCC?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2287199)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and the SEAT Cupra cup is gone as well. Surprised as Plato kept going on about how the team were looking to next year now that he'd basically conceded to Gio this season.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2287200)   #3
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More info:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2681
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:23 (Ref:2287201)   #4
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2287204)   #5
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I see this as the end of the good times for BTCC. I am really surprised though as I didn't see it coming. I also wonder if Vauxhall will continue seeing as their main competition has gone? Seeing as to continue they'll need to be building a new car, will they see that it's worth the money?

I do find it odd though that SEAT have pulled out when BTCC has become so popular. This is a sad day for the BTCC...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70472
Old 11 Sep 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2287224)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford prefect
So, where now for Jason Plato.
Seat Sport team in WTCC?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2287227)   #7
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
maybe now is a good time to ban any more diesels from running in BTCC
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2287299)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Didn't see this coming.

In my opinion the BTCC was returning a bit to the success of the late 90s and now SEAT is leaving. Strange decision.

I hope Northern South can find sponsorship to run a couple of cars next season and some SEAT Supercopa drivers will move to SEAT Euro Cup.

Last edited by FIRE; 11 Sep 2008 at 16:31.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2287304)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Plato signed a 3-year deal with SEAT at the end of last season.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2287305)   #10
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC is strong enough to survive without Seat. Plenty of BMW's, Vauxhalls and Honda's to keep up a good show I'd reckon. Its sad to see Seat leave, but its not the end of the world. I just wonder where the Holiday Inn bag of money will go next season...
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2287346)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I am shocked by this news and that it has come really out of the blue. What now for Mr Plato?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2287359)   #12
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70477

Turner looking at sportscar racing. Would be great to see him in ALMS in the Drayson-Barwell Aston with Johnny Cocker (who is very quick), he's been contracted to Prodrive for a while, since when they ran Ferrari 550s I think.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 11 Sep 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2287358)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm gutted. My favourite team leaving and favourite driver (Plato) possibly having no drive.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2287366)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Darren Tuner is out in Aston at Silverstone this weekend in the LMS and he is going to drive the Drayson-Barwell car at Petit Le Mans next month.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2287371)   #15
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
bodgit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't Plato move to one of Seat's WTCC cars?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2287375)   #16
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit
He would surely be a better pick than Gene and possibly Monteiro. However, those 2 have their nationalities as advantages.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2287384)   #17
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
Can't they just add another car to there team in the WTCC, Seat's team seams to be getting bigger all the time
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2287388)   #18
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure i'd wish Plato on the WTCC. And given that he and Yvan Muller don't get on, i think SEAT would have reservations on putting him in the team, as it could cause a rift within.

If Northern South can get Holiday Inn to stay on, we may see Jason in hte same car with the same team, but under a different name.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2287390)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is this a bad thing?

Nothing stopping people running Seats in the series. Just cause the works team is gone, doesn't mean the series will die. A heathy series is based on the indy teams, not the works teams.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:39 (Ref:2287395)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was Plato's contract with SEAT Group or SEAT UK? This would dictate to some extent what's available to him now.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2287397)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
He would surely be a better pick than Gene and possibly Monteiro. However, those 2 have their nationalities as advantages.

I know what your saying as they're Spanish and Portugese, but so does Plato in a way as the SEAT WTCC team don't have a British driver. (and their press release highlights that the UK is an important market with 30% of Leon sales a Cupra or FR model)

I however don't think Jason will end up there. I'd like to see him stay on in the BTCC but with whom. Vauxhall is sorted for drivers - where does a paid pro like him go?

Last edited by touringlegend; 11 Sep 2008 at 18:50.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2287402)   #22
bodgit
Racer

United Kingdom
durham
It would be good to see two british drivers in the WTCC though, however unlikely it is
Old 11 Sep 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2287409)   #23
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit
Assuming that SEAT stay in the WTCC. There will be a clash of personalities in the team!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2287413)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx
How is this a bad thing?

Nothing stopping people running Seats in the series. Just cause the works team is gone, doesn't mean the series will die. A heathy series is based on the indy teams, not the works teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
Was Plato's contract with SEAT Group or SEAT UK? This would dictate to some extent what's available to him now.
I assume SEAT UK.

Northern South running SEATs with Holliday Inn and additional sponsors with Plato driving and SEAT UK paying his salary?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2287415)   #25
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG, this has caught everyone out, Seat are not the lifeline of the BTCC but there absence as a works team will question other manufactuers partcipating. Indie teams are fine if they are in it for the right reasons rather than a jolly out on a Sunday afternoon due to having money to burn.

Dan Eaves and Co are running two Leons next year which does fill a void however you would hope someone picks up the TDi's

I do wonder if the fact Northern South and Plato have failed to take the title has been a reason for this decision.

As for Plato, Vauxhall won't take him and thats the only paying team (exception Turkington with WSR/RAC). If anything they may go back to two cars dropping Neal and retaining OC who pays for the drive with GIO

Neal back to Honda, Chilton to WSR replacing Jelley