Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Sep 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2754455)   #1
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Knockhill, Rounds 22, 23, 24

What a great days racing BTCC Knockhill was last year, but I don't see a race thread anywhere so if the regulars will permit me, I'll open one. Bring it.

(ITV4 Sun/05/Sept Knockhill 11.30am 6.00pm.)

Live timing
Old 4 Sep 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2754464)   #2
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't expect MacDowall to take pole, it looked like Shedden's all the way through practice. He's certainly got the pace, just needs to put it all together on race day now.

Should be a close days racing tomorrow judging from the times, looking forward to it
Old 4 Sep 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2754541)   #3
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Darn it, had Sheds as the Pole man for my predictor.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2754552)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shedden had to take avoiding action when Jeff Smith was re-joining the circuit after a spin. The Civic ended up less a front wing, I think after contact with a corner marker (pile of tyres).

Shedden seemed a bit peed off straight after qually but accepted on this occasion it was a rookie that caused the incident.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2754711)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting first race. Flash was consistantly quick throughout, Neal faded towards the end. The Focii were well off the pace (setup wise) but still had straight line ability.

Quite a lot of contact though, but I supposed that is expected with such a tight circuit.

News of the weekend would be the Techspeed/Sunshine.co.uk guys possibly not being out for the rest of the season after Knockhill due to money issues.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2754717)   #6
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
News of the weekend would be the Techspeed/Sunshine.co.uk guys possibly not being out for the rest of the season after Knockhill due to money issues.
We've only heard about Paul O'Neill not doing the last two rounds? When was John George not going mentioned? I know his mobile phone business has gone, hence the end of the JAG sponsorship on the cars, but I didn't think the remainder of this season was in doubt...

Last edited by Alfa Fan; 5 Sep 2010 at 12:37.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2754762)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A little suspect there at the end (Race 2), but I didn't see a replay, terrible choppy coverage this morning.

Best onboards ever.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2754804)   #8
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there's three potential runners for the title in Plato, Neal and Onslow-Cole which does seem crazy that Aon gifted points to Chilton when he was never really in it against their now No.1 driver. If any team is going to field a third car then Donnington is where it will happen so they go to Brands with less weight.

Arena have said they are looking to field a third car but will they if it helps Tom OC take the title, one has to say no. McDowell is good but cannot back up Plato which leaves the Honda's as the best team for each driver to work together IMO.

If Paul O'Neill is not in the last two rounds the championship will be worse off, he has done magic in keeping the damage minimal to the car this year and drive his heart out, I wish him all the best to find the funds for a return.

One other point is the 888 Vectras who are now drilling out some poor results, have the cars really dropped back that far?, James Nash was quick last year so whats going wrong there?
Old 5 Sep 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2754814)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post

One other point is the 888 Vectras who are now drilling out some poor results, have the cars really dropped back that far?, James Nash was quick last year so whats going wrong there?
Nash was running 4th I think in the last race before being bundled off.

Embarrassing day for the marshals/recovery teams trackside - tugging Collard's car into the tyre barrier, numerous and varied attempts to get Pinkney's car onto the flatbed, and then finished off by getting their Land Rover stuck in the grass..!!
Old 5 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2754839)   #10
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
Embarrassing day for the marshals/recovery teams trackside - tugging Collard's car into the tyre barrier, numerous and varied attempts to get Pinkney's car onto the flatbed, and then finished off by getting their Land Rover stuck in the grass..!!
I agree, this may be a unpopular opinion for some, but the marshalling left a lot to be desired today. However the land rover incident may have been out of their control. Altough there was some fantastic racing for all the series on track today.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 19:49 (Ref:2754853)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great racing today, went with my older brother. I'm glad I skipped the WTCC rounds on TV. I haven't seen touring car racing that close for sometime now.

The dunlop signs seemed to be a target, especially when one of the Vectra's was dragging one of them around on it's rear wing.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2754888)   #12
Franchitti
Rookie

Franchitti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aye, pressure may have told, but don't just remeber the bad bits, remember the good, e.g. Porsche's dropping oil everywhere, cleared up quick, other good snatches. Personally I saw a lot of good snatches over the weekend....
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2754889)   #13
Franchitti
Rookie

If O'Neill is not in the next two rounds then this world has gone mad!. He's quick, as proved by fastest lap today in an Integra!!, great PR, genuinely nice guy, but above all, great racer. The works team(s) should seriously look at him. IMO
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2754894)   #14
Franchitti
Rookie

Quote:

Hi Cos, could maybe have done with your help then? To quote Delia "WHERE ARE YOU?"

Last edited by Franchitti; 5 Sep 2010 at 21:45. Reason: Abusive?
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2754896)   #15
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Can I just clarify that the marshals do not use recovery vehicles at Knockhill. The recovery vehicles and their drivers are hired for the day.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2754899)   #16
Franchitti
Rookie

That is true, although I hope they learn from this. We can all f**k up sometimes and I know the Knockhill teams are better than this, just a shame the stage was so big!
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2754900)   #17
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
I agree, this may be a unpopular opinion for some, but the marshalling left a lot to be desired today. However the land rover incident may have been out of their control. Altough there was some fantastic racing for all the series on track today.
Unpopular and ignorant if I may say so - marshals are the people standing on the bank - not the people driving recovery vehicles.

We worked our butts off today and I can't help but wonder why I bother with a hobby that costs me a lot of cash when I read things like this.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2754901)   #18
Franchitti
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shjo558 View Post
Can I just clarify that the marshals do not use recovery vehicles at Knockhill. The recovery vehicles and their drivers are hired for the day.
Hope that didn't spoil your enjoyment of the weekend COS, or are you just perfect yourself??
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2754903)   #19
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchitti View Post
Hope that didn't spoil your enjoyment of the weekend COS, or are you just perfect yourself??

(Can you explain what COS means please?)

And, no I'm not perfect and will deal with any errors made either by myself of my team as the need arises.

However, I will equally defend our position too.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2754905)   #20
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Unpopular and ignorant if I may say so - marshals are the people standing on the bank - not the people driving recovery vehicles.

We worked our butts off today and I can't help but wonder why I bother with a hobby that costs me a lot of cash when I read things like this.
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware that the recovery teams were a completely different team (for those watching perhaps more casually it is easy to see where there may be confusion, as everyone is wearing the same orange firesuits!). I have nothing but respect for those marshals who give up their weekends to stand out on a windswept track and ultimately allowing the rest of us to enjoy a days racing.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2754906)   #21
Franchitti
Rookie

Quote:
(Can you explain what COS means please?)

And, no I'm not perfect and will deal with any errors made either by myself of my team as the need arises.

However, I will equally defend our position too.
COS posted the original post, I'm just pointing out to them that, while not everything may have run smoothly, that's no reason to criticise the whole event, particularly, as was raised, the marshals have no/little jurisdiction over the recovery vehicles at Knockhill.

It would be really nice if COS would acknowledge this point....
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2754908)   #22
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't aware that the recovery teams were a completely different team (for those watching perhaps more casually it is easy to see where there may be confusion, as everyone is wearing the same orange firesuits!). I have nothing but respect for those marshals who give up their weekends to stand out on a windswept track and ultimately allowing the rest of us to enjoy a days racing.
Oh, I've just realised what COS means now - silly me

Thanks for your reply.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2754911)   #23
Franchitti
Rookie

Quote:
Oh, I've just realised what COS means now - silly me

Thanks for your reply.
OK, can we draw a line under this now then. As my partner would say, "nobody died and the sky didn't fall in". I know, I'm not sure what they're on about either, but it's a good way to wrap things up? Donnington here we come.....
Old 5 Sep 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2754913)   #24
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchitti View Post
OK, can we draw a line under this now then. As my partner would say, "nobody died and the sky didn't fall in". I know, I'm not sure what they're on about either, but it's a good way to wrap things up? Donnington here we come.....
Oh yeah, I'm not one for long drawn out forum squables. Issue raised and responded to, end of.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2754914)   #25
Franchitti
Rookie

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm not one for long drawn out forum squables. Issue raised and responded to, end of.
Great. Thank you all, and good night.