Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2803695)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I think people are giving HRT a bit of a rough ride here. They faced incredible difficulties immediately before the start of the season and moved mountains to make it. Despite all the musical chairs, they managed to complete the season on an absolute shoestring - and extra brownie points should be given for the fact they had to put up with Colin Kolles for a good chunk of that

But the stat that gives them credence to hold their head just as high as any of the new teams is the fact that at the time he relinquished his seat, Karun Chandhok was actually leading the 'new team' driver title race !

I really do hope they get back out next year and that Karun Chandhok can start the Indian Grand Prix.
About the only part of your post that I agree with is that about Karun Chandok being the leading new team driver. So why was he dropped in favour of complete also rans. Better to have dropped Senna. That says it all re Kolles.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2803712)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
About the only part of your post that I agree with is that about Karun Chandok being the leading new team driver. So why was he dropped in favour of complete also rans. Better to have dropped Senna. That says it all re Kolles.
Well if they had been aborted before birth, we would never have got to see what Karun could do in a Grand Prix car. And if they don't appear next year, Karun's career could well be over... and that would be a travesty.

I wonder whether Kolles really is helping this team, or bleeding them like a flesh eating parasite. Either way, my feelings on the man are the same as your's Peter.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 10:16 (Ref:2803724)   #53
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerdic View Post
I agree with terretonga. There should be an end to the 'closed shop' mentality. Let anyone turn up and give it a go. Sure, most will be rubbish and disappear. But some will be good. Look how teams like Williams, Renault, Sauber etc started all those years ago. If the current barriers to entry had been in place when they started none of them would be here today.
Yeh it's really nice imagining something like that.

Guest drivers and all sorts (or should I say wildcard entries - I don't want this being confused with celebrity arrive and drives ..... I hope Bernie isn't listening).

Selby
Old 13 Dec 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2803734)   #54
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Well if they had been aborted before birth, we would never have got to see what Karun could do in a Grand Prix car. And if they don't appear next year, Karun's career could well be over... and that would be a travesty.
I think travesty is a bit strong. He's a half-decent driver but he's no world beater.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2803775)   #55
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Chandok was an unknown. Senna we know was lacklustre as Klein had the edge on him, Klein being the sub, Senna being the guy that was there for nearly all of the year.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2803778)   #56
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
He also had a serious issue with allowing leaders through...

Selby
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2803779)   #57
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna had the lesser equipment in the team, though. Even when Yamamoto was driving
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2803781)   #58
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Maybe if Brawn had let Senna into his team, it would've been Bruno Senna outpacing Schumacher now at Mercedes.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2804106)   #59
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Senna had the lesser equipment in the team, though. Even when Yamamoto was driving
And you know this because?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2804111)   #60
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Chandok was an unknown. Senna we know was lacklustre as Klein had the edge on him, Klein being the sub, Senna being the guy that was there for nearly all of the year.
Right, that's how Senna beat him in both the last two races.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
And you know this because?
It's kinda obvious when one poor guy is bringing a bag of yen to get a drive and the other isn't. He who pays gets the most attention.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2804116)   #61
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was common knowledge in the team, as far as I can tell

Come on, I know Karun's a decent driver and the nicest guy in the world, but he's not that great. There's no reason for him to suddenly start beating the guy who annihilated him in GP2
Old 14 Dec 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2804122)   #62
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2 performance can't be used as too much of a yardstick though, Kamui Kobayashi wasn't that impressive in GP2 (save for one GP2 Asia campaign), but F1, well, ...
Old 14 Dec 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2804211)   #63
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
But even then Kobayashi's only beaten de la Rosa...Heidfeld was probably a bit of a shock to him.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2804230)   #64
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
But even then Kobayashi's only beaten de la Rosa...Heidfeld was probably a bit of a shock to him.
I don't think so. Kobayashi's among the 'no testing' set of freshmen who've all had very little seat experience in F1 relative to their predecessors. He had a couple of GP in 2009 and got a very late call up from Peter Sauber for this year. As an overtaking racer he was peerless in 2010. If he manages to refine and improve his driving [something testing would accelerate], he could be sensational.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2804295)   #65
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I agree, davyboy.

I think we're a bit stuck in our way when it comes to views on new drivers. It's so easy to forget how little testing they've had.

Kobayashi had a better season than I'd expected him to tbh. I thought it might be a bit of overhype getting the better of him, but he did really well after a tough start.

Selby
Old 14 Dec 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2804324)   #66
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
GP2 performance can't be used as too much of a yardstick though, Kamui Kobayashi wasn't that impressive in GP2 (save for one GP2 Asia campaign), but F1, well, ...
Wasn't just GP2, though. Karun's never really shone in Europe. He wasn't that great in A1 GP or British F3

He's a nice guy and all, one of my favourite drivers, but I don't think he's that fundamentally talented. HRT probably suited him because you don't need to be quick at the back - see also Baumgartner at Minardi. But I know people have been suggesting a Lotus seat or even Force India, and I think that could only lead to disappointment. As a fan, I'd rather he went into commentary full-time than embarrass himself further up the grid
Old 14 Dec 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2804374)   #67
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Wasn't just GP2, though. Karun's never really shone in Europe. He wasn't that great in A1 GP or British F3

He's a nice guy and all, one of my favourite drivers, but I don't think he's that fundamentally talented. HRT probably suited him because you don't need to be quick at the back - see also Baumgartner at Minardi. But I know people have been suggesting a Lotus seat or even Force India, and I think that could only lead to disappointment.
It would be hard to see him at say F1I if that meant Di Resta or Hulkenberg were sidelined. He isnt' in that league....

He is a hugely like-able person, and one who certainly has a passion for all things F1, from history to racing plus has a sense of humour and fun.

....with perhaps more of an F1 future in broadcasting rather than driving......

But he is not one who you could say, as we did with Vettel and Hamilton, 'Future WDC alert'.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2805008)   #68
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...news-briefs77/

Formtech Composites (former Super Aguri supplier) could be HRT's 2011 car builder.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 05:29 (Ref:2805011)   #69
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post

Formtech Composites (former Super Aguri supplier) could be HRT's 2011 car builder.
OMG....The Arrows/Minardi/SA lives again!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 05:30 (Ref:2805012)   #70
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post

Do they work for free?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2805112)   #71
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Do they work for free?

This is very... suspicious.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2805158)   #72
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is "Team Pheonix" still mooted to join also?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2805203)   #73
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Is it too late for USF1 to get in on the act?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2805263)   #74
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's an awful thought !
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2807707)   #75
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I doubt we will see a new chassis from HRT in 2011, assuming they make the grid. I think they will simply try and bodge the current 2010 chassis and *hope* they scrape through the 107% rule.