Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2960737)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
He does not need the money does he, plus he has been gone for two years.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2960759)   #27
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Bet Michael isn't racing for free since coming back
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2960770)   #28
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I believe that Ferrari paid him not to be in F1 for a length of time. Maybe that time is up?
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2960778)   #29
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I admire the top-tier drivers who swallows their pride and drives for teams of lesser standard. I hope the fact that he even considers driving in a midfield team means that he has gotten his hunger back, the hunger he lacked in his last years of F1.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2960780)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Williams have some good people working for them now. Not least, Mike Coughlan. Who may have done wrong in the past, but that doesn't make him a bad car designer.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2960781)   #31
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I believe that Ferrari paid him not to be in F1 for a length of time. Maybe that time is up?

I did not know about that one...
Old 25 Sep 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2960790)   #32
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
This will (if it happens) have one of two outcomes IMO.

1. Williams grasp at Kimi to gain some impetus and the kudos of running an ex WDC in their car, without the commesurate car and motivation skills - the result is another mediocre season

2. Williams manage to gel their new tech team with an fantastic natural talent and somehow they rekindle each other and produce a decent car at the same time - the result some surprisingly good results.

To be honest Williams need to tear up their F1 strategy and go with something else and I can't see how having Kimi would be a bad thing for them.
Old 25 Sep 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2960819)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

2. Williams manage to gel their new tech team with an fantastic natural talent and somehow they rekindle each other and produce a decent car at the same time - the result some surprisingly good results.
Kimi becomes "hot property" again, leaves after 1 season and Williams go backwards?
Old 25 Sep 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2960827)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Kimi becomes "hot property" again, leaves after 1 season and Williams go backwards?
And this is why I think Kimi will go there, as Joe Saward has said he has nothing to loose..

Now if William's can come up with the goods which is possible, then who knows what might happen?
Old 25 Sep 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2960829)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I did not know about that one...
IIRC it was more likely he wasn't be allowed to drive for a significant rival for a period of time, not any F1 team....
Old 25 Sep 2011, 20:21 (Ref:2960832)   #36
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
IIRC it was more likely he wasn't be allowed to drive for a significant rival for a period of time, not any F1 team....
I see, that sounds more like it...
Old 26 Sep 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2960974)   #37
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Williams do have some good people and have a great history and good facilities. Thats why the last few years have been vastly underachieving ones.
Frank's philosophy seemed to be the team could produce great cars that any good drivers could use effectively.

If he is now going for a driver with a great reputation in the hope he can pull a good car up the grid he may be picking the wrong person.
If the car is great Kimi will drive the wheels off it if theres a sniff of a win.
If not he will quickly lose motivation and the season will be a huge disappointment.

I could be happily wrong but I doubt it...
Old 26 Sep 2011, 06:25 (Ref:2960976)   #38
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Williams do have some good people and have a great history and good facilities. Thats why the last few years have been vastly underachieving ones.
Frank's philosophy seemed to be the team could produce great cars that any good drivers could use effectively.

If he is now going for a driver with a great reputation in the hope he can pull a good car up the grid he may be picking the wrong person.
If the car is great Kimi will drive the wheels off it if theres a sniff of a win.
If not he will quickly lose motivation and the season will be a huge disappointment.

I could be happily wrong but I doubt it...
I share your concerns exactly Teretonga, hope we are wrong!
BUT, I doubt it!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2960996)   #39
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I think about it the more I think Williams will be a good spot for Kimi. He wont be mega busy with appearances and the sort. He will be able to turn up and race, something he has proven is that he is quick over a race distance.

My 2c has always been just because he doesnt have hissy fits about the car not being quite right, the team need to improve, somebody held him up doesnt mean he doesnt want to win.

When Massa was injured and Fisi jumped in...the fact he was so far back shows that the car was a dog and you never heard Kimi pay the car out. He just drive the wheels off the thing.

Williams need somebody like that...rather then Rubens who talks to the press about as mush as Webber about what the team are doing, what they need to be doing...how he is driving the best he ever has etc
Old 26 Sep 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2961000)   #40
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I believe it was fairly simple. He was not allowed to drive for another F1 team whilst Ferrari were continuing to pay him, which is logical enough.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2961046)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I believe it was fairly simple. He was not allowed to drive for another F1 team whilst Ferrari were continuing to pay him, which is logical enough.
As I recall Raikkonnen signed an agreement with McLaren that Ferrari were happy with and McLaren then failed to take up the option when Button became available.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152465/...h_mclaren.html

Raikkonnen was not prevented from driving anywhere, but insisted he would only continue his F1 career if a top drive was available.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2961047)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Raikkonnen was not prevented from driving anywhere, but insisted he would only continue his F1 career if a top drive was available.
Which it hasn't.....

Funny old world isn't it.

Seems the Robertsons are playing down all this hype now in any case?
Old 26 Sep 2011, 10:01 (Ref:2961051)   #43
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Seems the Robertsons are playing down all this hype now in any case?
to me it all seemed like a lovely way of raising his profile again when he's perhaps got bored of the wrc thing and see what comes up in terms of potential projects and rumours
Old 26 Sep 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2961111)   #44
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
to me it all seemed like a lovely way of raising his profile again when he's perhaps got bored of the wrc thing and see what comes up in terms of potential projects and rumours
I tend to believe this is half of the story, the other half being that Williams were quite happy to spend a little time talking to Kimi in order to have there current drivers a little more compliant when it comes to negotiating their future with the team.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 12:36 (Ref:2961121)   #45
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
As I recall Raikkonnen signed an agreement with McLaren that Ferrari were happy with and McLaren then failed to take up the option when Button became available.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/152465/...h_mclaren.html

I remember Mclaren balking at the fact Raikkonen wanted top dollar to race for them, despite having a full years wages from Ferrari.
It does throw into question certain drivers attitudes when their focus is money.
Should come as no surprise with my name, but I remember Senna's motivation for 1993 was to have a winning car again, hence why he offered his services for free.
I understand the retainers reflect their value in the market, but if Kimi had really been that driven, he would have driven for Mclaren for nothing.

It's incredible when you think of all professional sports people. Not one footballer, baseball player, karter or athlete etc ever start because they think of the money they will earn. They all pursue sports for the love of it. I have raced karts and Formula Ford and got the biggest buzz out of it. It was pure pleasure. Friends of mine still play Sunday Football because of their love of it.
If Schumachers life had panned out differently, he'd be a mechanic, but probably still having fun with go-karts. Rooney would still be playing Sunday Football because they love it.
It seems money colours everything...
Old 26 Sep 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2961135)   #46
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wnut...I think you will find if you do another search that Kimi got a larger sum of his retainer if he didn't race in 2010. If he walked from F1 he god a big wack of cash for doing nothing in 2010. If he signed for another team then the payment by Ferrari for 2010 was going to be greatly reduced.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2961173)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
...but I remember Senna's motivation for 1993 was to have a winning car again, hence why he offered his services for free.
no disrespect to Senna or his memory but that was close to 20 years ago and in in that time retainers increased for top drivers into the 30mill a year range. i dont think Senna would have turned that kind of money down even for a competitive ride.

incidentally Williams will never offer Kimi that kind of tosh but what they do offer him from Kimi's point of view almost will be exactly like racing for free!

not sure why he is considered lazy though. he could have given more effort of course but its not like he was turning up out of shape and unwilling to put in laps. 'being lazy' is a very relative term when it comes to F1 drivers.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2961371)   #48
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So if Kimi joins Williams Renault (as it will be known in 2012!!), when does Jacques re-sign with Williams Renault?

Ok, on a more serious note, i will beleive this when I see it. The only way I can see this ending is badly for Williams. I dont know who said this quote but this sums it up for me. (Days of when McLaren were struggling with the Peugeot lumps, and Merc's 1st couple of seasons with McLaren) If McLaren are the new Tyrell, Williams are the new McLaren
Old 26 Sep 2011, 22:21 (Ref:2961396)   #49
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
wnut...I think you will find if you do another search that Kimi got a larger sum of his retainer if he didn't race in 2010. If he walked from F1 he got a big wack of cash for doing nothing in 2010. If he signed for another team then the payment by Ferrari for 2010 was going to be greatly reduced.
Yes, now you mention it, that's roughly how it was. Say Ferrari were paying him $15M. If he got a drive elsewhere for $5M he didn't get get $20M in total. Ferrari's payment would have been reduced pro rata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
not sure why he is considered lazy though. he could have given more effort of course but its not like he was turning up out of shape and unwilling to put in laps. 'being lazy' is a very relative term when it comes to F1 drivers.
You're absolutely right, but there are some people on here whose misconceptions and/or prejudices are so deeply embedded that there is no point is stating the truth.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2961405)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Despite the comment above, here's what I would describe as a fair and objective assessment:
Quote:
Talking to a Ferrari man in Singapore, there is no doubting the 2007 world champion's speed or talent. It's just that Raikkonen didn't pick up and lead a team, galvanise it, in the way that Alonso does.

A Ferrari team used to dealing with Michael Schumacher for so long was amazed by both Raikkonen's pace and his immediate grasp of Ferrari technical systems in 2007. It seemed there was spare mental capacity by the bucket load.

But, they say, the real Kimi is not the Kimi of popular perception. The so-called Ice Man, unfazed by anything, impervious to outside influences and very much his own man, is an illusion.

Thinking back, they say, Raikkonen did not feel comfortable when he thought Felipe Massa was becoming Ferrari's favoured son in 2008. While he doesn't need mollycoddling, he does need to feel that a team is behind him.

By way of example they say, Kimi, disappointing early in '09, was a different driver after Massa's unfortunate accident in Hungary involving the rogue spring.

The focus of the team again, Raikkonen was awesome in the second half of the year with a car that was not one of Maranello's best, taking podiums while Luca Badoer and then Giancarlo Fisichella were struggling to get the other car out of Q1.
Closed Thread