Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Sep 2020, 18:29 (Ref:4000297)   #101
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
#HARD is a profitable business. All business owners should be aiming for and hopefully achieving that. They do provide one of, if not the, cheapest way for a driver to get into BTCC. With Creesy being the most recent example of a driver getting into the BTCC and then managing the move to a bigger team.

Not everybody can win. That never stopped Gian Carlo Minardi in F1. The team was a firm favourite of many, including me. Heck, I once spent a weekend with them turning down the opportunity to spend it with a certain other Italian outfit - probably one of the most enjoyable weekends of my life. Plastic chairs, cheap wine and oily greasy hands! Minardi, like #HARD, have provided that first step into the series for many a driver. A certain high profile highly successful Spaniard springs to mind

Little teams, with little budgets have their role in all forms of sport.

Last edited by Alfisti; 5 Sep 2020 at 18:37.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 20:43 (Ref:4000315)   #102
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
#HARD is a profitable business. All business owners should be aiming for and hopefully achieving that. They do provide one of, if not the, cheapest way for a driver to get into BTCC. With Creesy being the most recent example of a driver getting into the BTCC and then managing the move to a bigger team.
That's true. Goff, Hill, Epps etc.

But conversely, as we've seen this year, whether it's a car fault or down to the driver, they seem to be accountable for about half the safety cars we get.

Perhaps they need to make their seats a little less cheap and put some of that money into the CUPRAs...
Old 5 Sep 2020, 21:00 (Ref:4000319)   #103
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Little teams, with little budgets have their role in all forms of sport.
I don't think anyone disputes that, I believe the thing thats gets on the wicks of many people is the team and supporters constantly and consistently over promising and under delivering year on year. Its galling to read PR fluff about them trying to play both the roles of big players and small minnows punching above their weight simultaneously. #gamechanger is now a yearly meme which intended to be about them shaking up the establishment at the front of the grid but now means their lineup and stickers on the cars.

Massive expansion plans and scholarships paying cash money for VW Cup drives and paying some drivers is juxtaposed by sending cars onto tracks fitted with certain parts almost double the lifespan logged, to such a degree that two former drivers (one a driver coach with a Jr team) refuse to work with the team on future projects. Jake Hill has been vocal about life behind the garage shutters.

The cult that has emerged since they joined has been staggering in the NGTC years with very little to justify it.

Last edited by medius; 5 Sep 2020 at 21:05.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 21:56 (Ref:4000332)   #104
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take Team Parker by comparison, little to no fuzz on social media just go out and do the job
and occassionly get podiums with lucky reverse grids

or Excelr8 for small team they seam much more professional in purusuing results compared to HARD

if Lord Gow has the chance he wiill surelly take away some TBL from HARD
Old 5 Sep 2020, 22:46 (Ref:4000334)   #105
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
if Lord Gow has the chance he wiill surelly take away some TBL from HARD
Why?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 23:04 (Ref:4000337)   #106
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Why?
Indeed the fan backlash alone would be insufferable the only way the squad won't field a full compliment of entries would be:

Force majeur (injury/lack of parts etc)
Rule change
Selling the TBL

It's too lucrative for them not to put someone...anyone in the car every opportunity while they are allowed to. It makes money when the driver is paying more than its costs to do it. But that's true of every virtually all 3 TBLteams.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 08:19 (Ref:4000363)   #107
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Why?
they have 4, he wants a smaller grid anyway and HARD are the most farcical team on the grid so far so best remove from them
Old 6 Sep 2020, 08:34 (Ref:4000366)   #108
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
they have 4, he wants a smaller grid anyway and HARD are the most farcical team on the grid so far so best remove from them
They need to realise putting their resources into 2 cars is going to work a lot better than stretching them over 3 or 4.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:04 (Ref:4000367)   #109
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anything Hard may sell the 2 of them, I believe there is the demand for them from other existing or hopeful teams.

That would also help fund the builds of the car.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:12 (Ref:4000369)   #110
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Define farcical, if you can. HARD have done nothing even remotely deserving of have TBLs taken away, if they choose to sell them that's down to them. The grid would look very different without their involvement over the years, not taking anything away from any of their obvious talent but would the likes of Hill, Smiley and Goff made the step up without Tony? Also he's got some very loyal sponsors so they must be happy, RCIB have been with him since his Porsche days and obviously have expanded to other teams as well, say what you like about the results but you obviously don't understand the business side of it.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4000383)   #111
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take away everyone’s personal opinions on how good or bad Team Hard are next year they will have no excuses and it will be the same for Jack Goff, brand new cars so they have to be in the top 15 consistently in qualifying and the races, they will have to matching what the fords and Hyundai’s have been doing this year if not then people can start moaning more about them
Old 6 Sep 2020, 11:21 (Ref:4000386)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Define farcical, if you can. HARD have done nothing even remotely deserving of have TBLs taken away, if they choose to sell them that's down to them. The grid would look very different without their involvement over the years, not taking anything away from any of their obvious talent but would the likes of Hill, Smiley and Goff made the step up without Tony? Also he's got some very loyal sponsors so they must be happy, RCIB have been with him since his Porsche days and obviously have expanded to other teams as well, say what you like about the results but you obviously don't understand the business side of it.

I agree. The fact they are still here shows they are doing something right. And them winning at Silverstone last year due to them rolling the dice shows they can beat the odds
Old 6 Sep 2020, 12:54 (Ref:4000408)   #113
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
did anyone miss those 2 cars at Knockhill ?
Old 6 Sep 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4000411)   #114
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes. Next question.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 13:00 (Ref:4000412)   #115
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd rather see 27 cars instead of 25 but I'd swap two HARD cars with PMR for example.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 13:29 (Ref:4000434)   #116
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd rather see 27 cars instead of 25 but I'd swap two HARD cars with PMR for example.
I rather see fewer cars specially cars less prone being safety car magnets
Old 6 Sep 2020, 14:01 (Ref:4000459)   #117
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
But in a very unique year when an established and successful works BMW driver, and a manufacturer backed team have both chosen to not take part, HARD are still there with all 4 cars. Appreciate they get a lot of bad press and that everyone has their own opinion but surely it would have been easy for them to sit back and say 'Yea, we can't do this, we'll sell 2 TBLs instead.'
Old 6 Sep 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4000509)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’d rather concentrate more on the close racing. It’s not HARD’s fault we are missing two former champions, plus a returning race winner due to circumstances. They themselves had to resort bringing Brown in to help pay their bills. So they have done well to get to the grid
Old 6 Sep 2020, 15:49 (Ref:4000526)   #119
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without doubt it's good the BTCC grid stands at healthy numbers and teams such as HARD contribute to that and maybe make the whole field more interesting. Unless such teams make up 75% of the grid, I'm fine with them being perennial backmarkers.
I'd be happier though if they provided opportunities for young, excting talents who could be stars of the future. Hamilton, Brown, Boardley are hardly prospective, excting talents.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 09:10 (Ref:4000707)   #120
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
If anything Hard may sell the 2 of them, I believe there is the demand for them from other existing or hopeful teams.

That would also help fund the builds of the car.
Selling the TBLs could well be a viable way of paying for the 2 new cars - it is well known that a number of teams have been looking for another TBL (Dynamics and PMR for example). Along with a slight price rise for being in brand new machinery and could we see HARD genuinely making some sustainable forward moves?
Old 7 Sep 2020, 10:53 (Ref:4000733)   #121
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the end of the day anyone who wants to put the work in to raise the budget can race. Maybe the "young, exciting" talent should be doing more in that regard just like the others had to to get there?
Old 7 Sep 2020, 13:07 (Ref:4000751)   #122
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
At the end of the day anyone who wants to put the work in to raise the budget can race. Maybe the "young, exciting" talent should be doing more in that regard just like the others had to to get there?
Exactly. At the end of the day whoever is on the grid deserves to be there. Go on Facebook and the usual names always crop up who deserve a drive and 'should be given a seat'. Incidentally this is why I come on here, you can have a decent discussion without everyone b*tching that Rob Austin is still not back.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 18:43 (Ref:4000983)   #123
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
On here we (maybe just me?) love a BTCC grid minus Knob Austin. Praise the Lord!
Old 8 Sep 2020, 18:49 (Ref:4000987)   #124
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Selling the TBLs could well be a viable way of paying for the 2 new cars - it is well known that a number of teams have been looking for another TBL (Dynamics and PMR for example). Along with a slight price rise for being in brand new machinery and could we see HARD genuinely making some sustainable forward moves?
I think one of the reasons Tony can offer the seats at lower cost than others is the number of bodies per car ratio is lower than some teams. There is a balancing act, and clearly #HARD are able to attract drivers - so to my mind the business model is sound.

Would it work better if they ran two cars at £600K per seat? I suspect only TG can begin to answer that one.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 19:05 (Ref:4000995)   #125
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
On here we (maybe just me?) love a BTCC grid minus Knob Austin. Praise the Lord!
He's a good guy, and even if you think so, it's a bit childish to call him that literally every time?