Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Jul 2007, 14:38 (Ref:1975316)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC: Snetterton: Rounds 19, 20 & 21 - 28/29th July 2007

Plato was quickest in practice 2.

Turk quickest so far in quali.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 14:59 (Ref:1975318)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Team RAC front row, first time that has been achieved I think this year.

The top 14 cars have qualified basically within 1 second of each other.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1975343)   #3
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato will have a tough job in race one coming from 8th. Geo should have the upper hand in the first two races.
Old 28 Jul 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1975427)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grid

1 - Colin Turkington [3] - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:12.290

2 - Tom Onslow-Cole [33] - Team RAC - BMW 320si E90 - 1:12.480

3 - Gordon Shedden [52] - Team Halfords - Honda Civic - 1:12.598

4 - Tom Chilton [7] - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:12.650

5 - Fabrizio Giovanardi [5] - VX Racing - Vauxhall Vectra - 1:12.695

6 - Darren Turner [12] - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT León - 1:12.698

7 - Matt Neal [1] - Team Halfords - Honda Civic - 1:12.827

8 - Jason Plato [11] - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT León - 1:12.840

9 - Mat Jackson [48] - Jackson Motorsport - BMW 320si E90 - 1:12.988

10 - Mike Jordan [77] - Team Eurotech - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:12.988

11 - Matt Allison [23] - Motorbase Performance - SEAT Toledo Cupra - 1:13.134

12 - Jason Hughes [28] - Kartworld Racing - MG-ZS - 1:13.309

13 - Eoin Murray [14] - Quest Racing - Alfa Romeo 156 - 1:13.339

14 - Tom Ferrier [24] - Motorbase Performance - SEAT Toledo Cupra - 1:13.345

15 - Dave Pinkney [56] - A-Tech - Alfa Romeo 156 - 1:13.717

16 - John George [55] - TH Motorsport - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:13.767

17 - Erkut Kizilirmak [90] - Arkas Racing - Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch - 1:14.292

18 - Richard Marsh [59] - A-Tech - Alfa Romeo 156 - 1:14.503

19 - Simon Blanckley [69] - Sibsport - Honda Integra Type-R - 1:14.739

20 - Fiona Leggate [82] - Kartworld Racing - MG-ZS - 1:14.892

21 - Martyn Bell [15] - Team Allaboutproperty.com - BMW 320i E46 - 1:15.878

22 - Rick Kerry [17] - Team AFM Racing - BMW 120d - 1:23.094

23 - Chris Stockton [43] - BTC Racing - Lexus IS200 - No Time

Car graphics by Andy Blackmore - www.andyblackmore.co.uk
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1975715)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Turkington took the win on the road but was excluded for running underweight!

So, it's another win for Flash Gordon. As opposed to his teammate who destroyed his and Jason Plato's race with an ambitious move at turn one.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1975717)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Revenge for last year's antic's perhaps ?

Thats a pity about Turkington. Shedden's rapidly looking the better driver at Team Dynamics, dare I say...
Old 29 Jul 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1975787)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Race 2 Startline accident.

When oh when will the organisers of Motorsport in this country FINALLY realise that it is not safe to allow cars to "race-back" to the Startline when a safety car is being deployed????

Let's just hope that no one was injured in this needless additional accident.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1975791)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
Re: Race 2 Startline accident.

When oh when will the organisers of Motorsport in this country FINALLY realise that it is not safe to allow cars to "race-back" to the Startline when a safety car is being deployed????

Let's just hope that no one was injured in this needless additional accident.
Absolutely stupid - and very dangerous

It seems nobody learned from the FFord race at Brands the other week.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1975826)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
The TV didn't cover it very well, but it appeared to me Richard Marsh was caught napping by all the other cars slowing or dodging the medical car.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1975847)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Completely unprofessional to cars still running at racing speed with so much of the track blocked. For startline accidents the yellow flag zone should start much earlier.

Some pretty good racing overall, nice to see The OC getting his first win, especially after Colin's race 1 misfortune. Great stuff from Eoin Murray as well - when the car works he's a real threat.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1975877)   #11
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Again we see safety compromised, for the sake of the TV schedule...IMHO
Old 29 Jul 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1975940)   #12
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else think Matt Neal was plain wreckless diving down the inside of Giovanardi, when Gio had to make that huge save. I just thought "what are you doing Matt?" If someone had done that to him the past 2 years when he was in a title battle he would have gone mad. Im not a fan of either Plato or Neal, i think they are as bad as each other.

Anyway if i remember rightly, Gio outscored plato in each race, so thats good for the title. I was loving each race, but race 3 with plato and gio was awesome. well done onslow-cole. I can see a BMW challenging for the title next season

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jul 2007, 21:49 (Ref:1975991)   #13
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Did anyone else think Matt Neal was plain wreckless diving down the inside of Giovanardi, when Gio had to make that huge save. I just thought "what are you doing Matt?" If someone had done that to him the past 2 years when he was in a title battle he would have gone mad. Im not a fan of either Plato or Neal, i think they are as bad as each other.
Did the same to Plato.
Old 29 Jul 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1976009)   #14
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
yeh i know he did, and that was out of order too. But i want Gio to win the title, so i didn't mind that incident as much

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 29 Jul 2007, 23:06 (Ref:1976025)   #15
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
The TV didn't cover it very well, but it appeared to me Richard Marsh was caught napping by all the other cars slowing or dodging the medical car.
Can't really blame Marsh.

I agree with everyone who thinks it might be a good idea to slow the cars before they encounter an accident scene, especially when there are officials and marshals on the track. Its a no brainer.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1976153)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Did anyone else think Matt Neal was plain wreckless diving down the inside of Giovanardi, when Gio had to make that huge save.
It was a bit naughty, but Matt's a racing driver. He saw the gap open up so he tried to put his car into it. He apologised to Giovanardi afterwards (during a Setanta interview) and Giovarnardi said it was no problem.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1976199)   #17
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Completely unprofessional to cars still running at racing speed with so much of the track blocked. For startline accidents the yellow flag zone should start much earlier.
The teams knew the Safety Car was going to be deployed and that the track was virtually blocked. I was the flaggie waving the yellow flag on the Senna straight & there was a stationary yellow flag at pit lane enterance. There was also a yellow flag on the start line along with the SC boards. The drivers should have held station from the exit of Russell, as they wouldn't have been able to overtake due to the yello flag zone.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1976204)   #18
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
Can't really blame Marsh.
Why not? he should have slowed down for the yellow flags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12
I agree with everyone who thinks it might be a good idea to slow the cars before they encounter an accident scene, especially when there are officials and marshals on the track. Its a no brainer.
They are - the yellow flags started at the pit lane entrance. It was just that the drivers decided to ignore them (again)!

When will the drivers learn what yellow flags mean?
Old 30 Jul 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1976232)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Indeed. A lot of people seem to be blaming the fact that the medical vehicle was on track. The fact is, whilst approaching an accident scene, drivers should expect the unexpected.
Old 30 Jul 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1976444)   #20
roachy101
Racer

roachy101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was a good days racing. and the tyre bales at the esses remained intact!!
Old 30 Jul 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1976640)   #21
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Indeed. A lot of people seem to be blaming the fact that the medical vehicle was on track. The fact is, whilst approaching an accident scene, drivers should expect the unexpected.
From what I saw on tv, NOT there so can't state definatively, was,

Med-car (Porsche) parked in a "fend-off" position, driver's right, (quite correct),
Safety Car awaiting the pack (mid-track), Broken Race cars off track (but close), both left and right of a narrow straight.

IMHO the subsequent accident (sorry, forget the name of the driver involved), was caused by drivers being allowed to race 'back-to-the-line' and not being fully aware of just what the situation was. YES, as mini1400 has stated, they should have slowed for the yellows, but my point is (and I stand to be corrected by people with more knowledge),
is this
If the Safety Car is deployed, then the Yellow Flags and SC boards should travel around the circuit in the same way as Red Flags do. ie; BOTH directions!
If this had happened, then this race would have been under SC rules way before the end of the lap and would have been much safer for all involved, whilst still satisfying the tv committments.

This all sounds very simple and I can't find a fault. There must be one (which will be posted shortly) and I will learn from that. but, if no-one can find a fault in this suggestion (which is not mine, I've heard it for many years), then why has it not yet been implemented?
Old 31 Jul 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1977338)   #22
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
yeh i know he did, and that was out of order too. But i want Gio to win the title, so i didn't mind that incident as much
So you didn't mind Gio cutting across the grass, at the Bombhole, and driving into the side of Plato, thus punting Matt Jackson wide and losing him 4 places in race 3?

Mini1400. You know as well as I do, they know what the flags mean, some drivers just chose to ignore them. This is why we had the carnage in the Clio on Revetts straight when the red flag came out!

Last edited by White flag man; 31 Jul 2007 at 15:19.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1977433)   #23
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
So you didn't mind Gio cutting across the grass, at the Bombhole, and driving into the side of Plato, thus punting Matt Jackson wide and losing him 4 places in race 3?
Eh? Gio was only on the grass because Plato put across the track and pushed him there.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1977966)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the days when TV mattered more than safety, that would have been a red-flag situation, because the cars were so close to the track. The safety car system probably needs modifying - maybe use the four 'split' points on the lap to decide where the yellow starts, to make sure cars are not 'racing back' to a dangerous situation.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1978646)   #25
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
You know, i was only kidding, you might need to take certain things with a pinch of salt.

Also i feel it was not Gio's fault, Plato was pushing/leaning on him, and he had nowhere to go.

Again, after the race, Plato and Gio both seemed to accept it. Mat Jackson was unlucky, but thats just racing sadly

Brilliant