Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

View Poll Results: What is the greatest Formula One game ever?
Formula One '97 (Psygnosis, PSOne, PC) 8 23.53%
Formula One '99 (Sony, PSOne, PC) 0 0%
Formula One 2000 (Sony, PSOne) 0 0%
Formula One 2001 (Sony, PSOne) 0 0%
Formula One 2001 (Sony, PS2) 1 2.94%
Grand Prix 3 (Hasbro, PC) 9 26.47%
Grand Prix 2 (PC) 10 29.41%
F1 Racing Championship (Ubisoft, PSOne, PC, PS2) 1 2.94%
F1 2000 (EA Sports, PSOne) 1 2.94%
Other (pllllllease specify!) 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Jun 2001, 22:41 (Ref:105674)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Greatest Formula One Game Ever

Which is it, and why?
Old 16 Jun 2001, 00:10 (Ref:105692)   #2
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GP2. No question. Absolutely great graphics and as close as you could get to the F1 experience. Track as real as they get and full car setup with telemetry readings and all.....it doesn't get more real than that.....well at least it didn't back in 1996
Old 16 Jun 2001, 01:47 (Ref:105706)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I'm concerned, GP2 is still the best. I have GP3, but thanks to my outdated computer, I stick to GP2.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 01:48 (Ref:105707)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This depends on the question - best available today - GP3 - Brilliant game.

If you mean "for its day" - I agree with Sharky and say Gp2. When I first saw that game it blew me away. It set the benchmark for all other F1 games.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 13:26 (Ref:105840)   #5
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Is GP2 still available??? GP3 refuses to work on my PC and when it does it's very slow.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 14:43 (Ref:105853)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if you can find it again MF. Perhaps in an auction or in one of those "abandonware" sites although that would probably mean a 300-400 Mb download. Also try the Microprose site at www.microprose.com .

However my guess is that GP3 should run very well on you PC but the thing is that you don't have a 3D video card which is fundamental nowadays for PC gaming.
Old 16 Jun 2001, 17:21 (Ref:105911)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 easily. Infinate tracks, infinite cars, wonderful physics, pretty good graphics, no need for 3D. Easily the best.

What I HATE are those arcad-y style F1 games mostly to be found on such things as the Playstation etc.

That being said, the greatest DRIVING game ever has got to be GT2. MTS runs it closer than you might think, but I am WETTING myself for GT3
Old 16 Jun 2001, 21:35 (Ref:105970)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
GT2 was just a poorly-done update of GT. AND OH MY GOD THERE'S ONLY 3 WEEKS UNTIL GT3. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!

I went for F1 '97 (no surprises there) and here's why - wonderfully implemented variable weather and wet weather handling; truly divine steering and handling, none of that arcadey **** to be found in EA's efforts; superb commentary with Muzza and Martin; those fantastic TV displays fully implemented; fuel and tyre stops on short races; INTELLIGENT drivers and EXCITING RACING; not too easy, not too hard; took time to master; zippy graphics; and perhaps most importantly of all - IT STILL PLAYS THE BEST OUT OF THE LOT OF THEM TODAY.

No other F1 game is so immersive and enjoyable to play.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 01:59 (Ref:106042)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a good computer, and I had a good wheel, so I voted GP3. It is very realistic, and huge improvement over GP2. I feel sorry for you guys that still play GP2, I haven't touched it in ages. It was a good game, but the driveability in GP3 is much better. The graphics aren't really that much better though... ;(
Old 18 Jun 2001, 10:56 (Ref:106407)   #10
hypo
Racer

hypo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jay,GP3 is undoubtedly a better game than GP2 but, considering GP2 was released in 1995(i think?) it`s got to get the vote.

I was expecting a little more from GP3 to be honest.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 23:30 (Ref:107131)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by hypo
Jay,GP3 is undoubtedly a better game than GP2 but, considering GP2 was released in 1995(i think?) it`s got to get the vote.
That's true hypo. The thing is that you've got to judge every game by how good it was at it's time. Of course GP3 is a much better game than GP2. I don't even have GP2 installed in my PC anymore. But the thing is that while in 1996 GP2 blew everybody away in 2000 GP3 was slightly disappointing.

But just a comment about GP3. i do believe it's a very good game. Thing is that GP2 set a standard so high that it was going to be almost impossible to be matched by any upcoming sequel. And then again, what else could you improve on GP2? The only things that game was missing was variable weather, 3D hardware support and better graphics. And GP3 delivered....maybe not so much with the graphics but they're still pretty good. Thing was that many (including myself) thoight (If GP2 was what it was in 96 then GP3 must be the most amazing game ever" and it wasn't quite that "amazing".
Old 20 Jun 2001, 11:14 (Ref:107294)   #12
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for other! The other being Gran Prix Legends. I know it's not a modern F1 game but it is Formula One nevertheless. If you really want to test your skills, then this is the game to do it.

As for modern F1, GP3 wins hands down, no contest, and I've played virtually all the F1 games to some extent. It may not be perfect, but there is still nothing better. Let's face it, if the developers gave us everything we wanted we would still ask for more, we gamers are a greedy bunch. I for one can't wait till they figure out how to get me to experience full G's while I barrel through Eau Rouge!
There is no substitute for reality
Old 3 Jul 2001, 08:05 (Ref:112419)   #13
AndyM
Racer

AndyM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with enemy-ace, GPL is the dogs proverbials. It may not be modern like the poll intended, but for racing realism it is unmatched. Having done a few FFord races last year, I can say that GPL has a superb physics engine, stuff you know works on the track works in GPL. It may be very hard for a beginner to pick up, but a bit of practise helps enormously.

I bought GP3 hoping it would blow GPL away in realism, but I was dissapointed. You can lap fast with no effort, whereas with GPL it takes much more concerntration and more effort into getting driving lines spot on. GP3 seems a bit 'arcady' when compared with GP2 in my view. I must have sent hours and hours playing GP2, but no where near that long with GP3.

Thats my view anyway

Andy
Old 18 Jul 2001, 16:09 (Ref:118865)   #14
Rubens
Rookie

Rubens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best f1 game ever

The best f1 game is Grandprix legends from sierra, because it has an excellent gameplay and graphics.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 16:34 (Ref:118877)   #15
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Hey Rubens, welcome to our forum! I'm pleased to see your first post was in my little domain!!!
Old 19 Jul 2001, 05:58 (Ref:119082)   #16
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for GP2. When this game first game out it completely blew me away after being used to playing the original GP1. Spent hours mastering the brakes, gears, set-ups etc... No other game was close to it for 4 years!

I've tried hard to get into Gp3, but just can't. Something about the physics engine doesn't feel right. Other than that GP3 has carried over EVERYTHING from GP2 - set-ups are all the same options, car failures, damage... All in all GP3 was a massive disappiontment for me. I'd definitely still go for GP2 given the choice.
Old 23 Jul 2001, 09:05 (Ref:120441)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like most here, GP2 is without a doubt the greatest modern F1 game in the world today. I've yet to play GP3, but from what I've heard and read, it's basically GP2 with a new paintjob!

I don't mind F1 '97 on Playstation, while the EA F1 games are a joke, little realism.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 21:54 (Ref:124036)   #18
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre- Internet - easy GP2. Outstanding gameplay and definitely ahead of its time.

Now with the possibility of internet competition - Grand Prix Legends. Again excellent gameplay, hard but enjoyable. The fact that you can race online with 20 other REAL people combined with decent graphics and super realistic physics makes it a winner. There is replay analyser program (developed separately) available online which is a must have.

GP2 will always be a classic because it really was excellent, while GPL will probably never really be a contender because many people missed out on it (why race old cars?). However in my view GPL is now the best ever.

BTW I picked up GPL 2 months ago in a bargain bin for $15 cdn. I think it can be bought online for a similar price... it really is worth it