Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2002, 22:41 (Ref:347452)   #1
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW wants to buy William out!

I have just red that BMW wants to end their partnership with Williams. BMW have implied that they are not satisfied, because Williams have failed to come up with a chassis worthy of the strong BMW engine. When their contract with Williams runs out at exit of 2004 they will not extend it any further, due to BMW’s statement. Instead they will either buy the Williams team or make an entire new BMW team where they produce both engine and chassis as well.
If it happens, we will all miss Frank Williams and his team. I hope he finds a new company to produce his engines!

Last edited by Legend; 31 Jul 2002 at 22:41.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 00:29 (Ref:347516)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bluff. They're just trying to scare Williams into spending more money on development, and hiring/keeping a better staff.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 00:31 (Ref:347518)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I think there could be a touch of truth behind this. BMW certainly want a tight-knit partnership with a team, but Frank and Patrick still own 100% of their team and have not even considered selling part of the team to BMW.

This is a serious threat from BMW and Frank had better play his cards carefully now.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 01:14 (Ref:347533)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FW24 is a pretty hopeless chassis, that is for sure, Williams must up their ante in this department if they wish to win Formula 1 motor races.

BMW won't buy Williams, in the past Frank has said he won't see his team. I guess BMW could use the 12th franchise available...?
Old 1 Aug 2002, 02:41 (Ref:347557)   #5
Legend
Veteran

What has happened? Once Williams had the best chassis out there for many years, and now? I am a Ferrari fan but I like Frank Williams and all the work he have put in throughout the years. He is also a gentleman and a very sympathetic person. I hope he makes it!
Old 1 Aug 2002, 03:18 (Ref:347570)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't like that... Then Williams would likely become Ferrari2 with team orders and driver 1 must finish ahead of driver 2.

I think Frank has the right attitude towards racing with his 'If you don't want to drive for us, someone else will, now shut up and race' attitude.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 1 Aug 2002, 03:27 (Ref:347573)   #7
Legend
Veteran

Ferrari’s attitude: "If you don't want to drive for Schumacher, someone else will, now shut up and give way".
Old 1 Aug 2002, 03:34 (Ref:347576)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this rumor an offshoot of the one regarding how BMW only wants their full name on the Williams team? So marketing wise, they want to be called the "BMW team" instead of the current "WILLIAMS BMW team" I thought that was what they wanted, to have naming rights,not necessarily ownership rights?
Old 1 Aug 2002, 06:44 (Ref:347614)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not new though.

In 1985 Williams took the Honda turbo and made it work. In 1987 Honda dumped Williams and went to Lotus because they had Senna. Lotus made a complete @rse of itself and when normally aspirated engines came back Honda went to Macaroon (with Senna) where they gained a serious amount of success.

Williams then spent three years in "the wilderness" until Renault came on stream.

Looking at the above the common denominator was Senna. Now some would argue that we have Montoya so unless BMW is really set on going it's own way they'd be best suited to stay (or go) wherever Montoya goes.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 07:31 (Ref:347649)   #10
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Note, the team is not called Williams-BMW, ie. car-engine
but it actually called BMW Williams and they are entered
as BMW Williams-BMWs
Old 1 Aug 2002, 07:36 (Ref:347651)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I always wondered how that happens, since it contravenes the regs. Should be otherwise.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:06 (Ref:347683)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really wonder how long patrick can go on as the engineer/motivator of engineers?It seems like he may have given up the title allready(my guess is years back,but he's still damn good).Mind you,i bet ferrari and maclaren are spending more on chassis than williams...
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:10 (Ref:347686)   #13
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh,Red,if you are refering to the name changing being against the regs(?) the answer is no-they just have to get consent from the other team owners.It's just a way of self regulation to stop team owners changing their names and leaving debts behind(though it looks like tom will find away around that in most cases!!).One of the GOOD things ron denis has done.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:28 (Ref:347692)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, I am confident that no regulations have been broken. But:

21) The constructor of an engine or rolling chassis is the person (including any corporate or unincorporated body) which owns the intellectual property rights to such engine or chassis. The make of an engine or chassis is the name attributed to it by its constructor.

If the make of the chassis is not the same as that of the engine, the title will be awarded to the former which shall always precede the latter in the name of the car.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:29 (Ref:347693)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Why would their name be against the regs? BMW is before because BMW as Williams principal sponser as well as engine manufacturer! (as McLaren is known as West McLaren Mercedes etc)

Legend......where did you read about BMW wanting to buy out Williams then?

Last edited by Mr V; 1 Aug 2002 at 08:30.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 08:36 (Ref:347700)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Aah-ha. Mr V, that makes sense.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:00 (Ref:347817)   #17
Legend
Veteran

I red about it in RTL (German TV-channel) text-TV. RTL is actually a very reliable source of information. I could also imagine it must be frustrating for both BMW and Williams not being able to compete with the red army on same level. But anyway BMW feel they have done more than their share, building the strongest engine in F1. Perhaps it could be a warning for Williams team to make a better chassis for 2003. Although I believe BMW with their ambitions will leave if Williams fail to deliver a competitive car next year.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:19 (Ref:347836)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
What has happened? Once Williams had the best chassis out there for many years, and now?
Two words: Adrian Newey.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:51 (Ref:347852)   #19
Legend
Veteran

One word: Yes
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:53 (Ref:347853)   #20
Legend
Veteran

so true
Old 1 Aug 2002, 12:58 (Ref:347854)   #21
Legend
Veteran

so true
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:35 (Ref:347876)   #22
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All though blame has been pointed at both it's engine and tyres, Mr Neweys latest creation isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Perhaps the Jaguar Scandal knocked him slightly.

Remember Ron Dennis managed to keep Newey because he offered him the chance to work on other things.(Newey has a thing for Boats.)
Is Neweys passion for race cars dying.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 14:58 (Ref:347882)   #23
Legend
Veteran

Now there is one question if BMW produce both engine and chassis: Will BMW manage to be as good as Ferrari in the future?