Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 Oct 2002, 06:06 (Ref:393685)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPL - Ten Best Circuits?

We all know Grand Prix Legends is the best racing sim ever, with Grand Prix 2 a fairly distant second place - but what are your ten favourite circuits in GPL? And why? Here is my ever changing list:

1. Bathurst (because its my favourite track in real life)
2. Falkenberg (lovely club circuit, very nice flow)
3. Solitude (very challenging, hard to remember, fast)
4. Sachsenring (beautiful scenery, village feel)
5. Syracuse (no run off makes this a tough circuit)
6. Spa-Francorchamps (many fast sweeping bends)
7. Lime Rock (wide, excellent first corner, good flow)
8. Watkins Glen (not as hard as other GPL tracks)
9. Osterreichring (flat out, rollercoaster)
10. Monza (slipstreaming practice)

Worst circuit - Nurburgring (too hard )
Old 2 Oct 2002, 06:36 (Ref:393697)   #2
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well i've downloaded Sachenring but it wont even appear in the game , i've done evertything! anyways, my best 10 is really a best 5. i don't like many of the tracks on the original GPL because they're too slow and annoying.

1. Spa - my favourite! i can get a 3m35 lap around here and finish at least around 4-5th on Pro-long.

2. Miloval - Old monza oval, super banking and frightening speeds - can finish 1st there easily on GP mnode.

3. Nurburgring - i love it, though it's terribly hard when i try and go faster than a crawling pace. got a 10m20 lap around there but i want that 9m lap!

4. Monza - yep, it's a good track though from Curva Grande through to the 2nd lesmo isn't much fun cos the braking points are hard to get consistently i find.

5. Monaco - brilliant because im outstanding...but only at one part. still im trying to find a braking point for the last corner

im trying to learn the others but i personally think they're not much cop. Zandvoort is really hard seeing as i don't know it much - but i can see a lot of fun there when im better. Silverstone is alright, though copse is really quite annoying. Kyalami i can't get on with and both American and Canadian GP's are a lsot cause.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Oct 2002, 15:39 (Ref:394133)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sachsenring.

Zandvoort.

Nurburgring.

Spa. Um.... Oh I've got LOADS of the things. Bathurst is OhhhKayyy. But for the "fcuk me!!" factor, it's got to be the Sachsenring.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 19:38 (Ref:394292)   #4
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nurburgring, I used to think that it was too ling and hard but recently I've properly learnt the track and can get some good, consistant 8:40 laps around it. I tis wonderful to do 3 quite fast laps around there without spinning. Definately the most satisfied I get out of the game

monza, cox its soo easy its really good to have a track you can really excell at and try and improve times by hundredths not whole seconds.

i'm growing to like le mans as well, the mulsanne is great fun, all that slip-streaming.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 20:45 (Ref:394351)   #5
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Kyalami, Zandvoort and Snetterton 67 the best, with several others I like alot. And these are only the tracks I have driven on so far
Old 3 Oct 2002, 00:04 (Ref:394501)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
I am afraid I just can't get to like the Nurburgring I haven't driven enough around the track, but it just infuriates me, so damn hard - too long to memorise, tough to setup for, maybe one day I'll sit down and give it a go.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 02:49 (Ref:394576)   #7
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The ones I play the most are Monza, Kylami, Monaco and SPA. The one I like the most is Spa. Very exciting.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 11:50 (Ref:394846)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

DNQ: NOW I can remeber the Nurburgring no problem. I know it sounds obvious, but you've just got to learn it. That being said, I usually have at least one spin per lap even now.
Old 3 Oct 2002, 17:33 (Ref:395069)   #9
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
definately DNQ, it takes time - and i mean time to learn that circuit. ive done that circuit loads of times and im down to just 10m20-ish and i spin quite reguarly. In my experience, a spin costs around 10 seconds, i reckon i spin at least 3 times in a lap there - i could be looking at a 9m50 lap without spinning or going fast! it's deceptively easy and hard IMO.

i hate it when i get into a sort of good rythm around there and then forget which section im in - so i'll think "ahh it's alright, theres a few fast corners here, i can relax a bit" then BANG theres a bloody karousel in the way!

the nurburgring sums up the game, you've gotta try and try until you can perfect it.

Old 4 Oct 2002, 14:14 (Ref:395797)   #10
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I know I keep harping on about them, but try Alison Hine's gen2 setups. For a not hugely skilled driver like me they made all the difference. The biggest difference was on the Ring, from not being able to crack 10 minutes before, I was able to get a 9.38 on my first decent lap with the new setups. For the first time the game became an enjoyable challenge rather than continually frustrating.
Old 4 Oct 2002, 17:56 (Ref:395934)   #11
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i dunno if i downloaded the Gen2 setups or the x-files, but whatever i did download was really bad - the suspension was way too hard for a **** driver like myself.

Old 5 Oct 2002, 09:30 (Ref:396220)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
I know I keep harping on about them, but try Alison Hine's gen2 setups. For a not hugely skilled driver like me they made all the difference. The biggest difference was on the Ring, from not being able to crack 10 minutes before, I was able to get a 9.38 on my first decent lap with the new setups. For the first time the game became an enjoyable challenge rather than continually frustrating.
Yep, I'm using Alison's set-ups almost exclusively now. I find them excellent. But I'm still really struggling at the Ring. I'm still way away from -ive rank (although I've managed to go negative at Monza, Silverstone and the Glen. I just can't get under 9:30 for the Ring. I seem to be tippy-toeing around. I have learned the circuit reasonably well now, but I don't understand how the quick boys don't go flying off when they touch the grass like I do!
Old 5 Oct 2002, 17:30 (Ref:396424)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

I too am a user. Also search out Gregor Huttu's. He's a legend.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 01:53 (Ref:397240)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPL being a real test of your skills I have basically only concentrated on a few circuits, so at the moment I don't have ten favourites.
But I do have:
1) Mosport - my home track
2) LeMans - the Mulsanne actually kind of scares me
3) Spa - Eau Rouge, nuff said
4) Monza - kind of easy, but fun racing
5) Nurburgring - the ultimate test

For those trying to conquer the ring, there is a useful utility call 'ringtrainer' which allows you to tackle specific parts of the circuit. Here is a link:
http://www.racesimcentral.com/downloads/gpl/tool.shtml
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Oct 2002, 18:42 (Ref:397762)   #15
Tristan
Veteran

Actually, is it me or is Eau Rouge a bit woossy in one of these things??

The Mulsanne is unreal. My greatest crash ever was a suspension failur on that right hand kink. Hit the telegraph pole at over 190mph. Died in a blaze of glory.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 17:22 (Ref:398506)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace

For those trying to conquer the ring, there is a useful utility call 'ringtrainer' which allows you to tackle specific parts of the circuit. Here is a link:
http://www.racesimcentral.com/downloads/gpl/tool.shtml
Although I'm still complete garbage at the 'Ring, I certainly endorse Ringtrainer, which not only allows you to go back to specific parts of the circuit, but also to start your first lap wherever you want, instead of having to do a complete first lap which is untimed.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 16:45 (Ref:399484)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Yeah, but isn't that cheating?? Basically YES!! It IS isn't it!! Admit it, man.....
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:01 (Ref:399601)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Yeah, but isn't that cheating?? Basically YES!! It IS isn't it!! Admit it, man.....
No, it's not cheating at all. In fact, I always start at Doettinger Hoehe, near to the end of the lap, by the time I start my first timed lap, everything is still warming up - particularly in the Lotus. Try it, it's a godsend!
Old 9 Oct 2002, 22:07 (Ref:399755)   #19
Tristan
Veteran

...but it's CHEATING!! Would the drivers of the time have this opportunity to learn the track?? Even today, is it possible to have the advantage of learning the track this way?? NO!! CHEATING!! T'IS!!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:12 (Ref:400069)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Technically it's an unfair advantage, I guess. It may be cheating, but its a game Tristan
Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:13 (Ref:400071)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
...but it's CHEATING!! Would the drivers of the time have this opportunity to learn the track?? Even today, is it possible to have the advantage of learning the track this way?? NO!! CHEATING!! T'IS!!
Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree There are so many advantages that we as GPL drivers have over those who drove the real things in 1967 that I still maintain the use of Ringtrainer isn't cheating at all. As it happens, I have never used Ringtrainer to learn the track, i.e. by jumping back to the same part of the track to drive it over and over again. The only use I make of Ringtrainer is to start my first timed lap near the end of the previous one. My only gain is a few minutes, nothing else.

(And just to make it worse - I'm still absolutely **** at the 'Ring!)
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:23 (Ref:400208)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

But it ISN'T a "game". It's a "sim". Completely different things. Cheaty cheaty cheat cheat.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:00 (Ref:400314)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
But it ISN'T a "game". It's a "sim". Completely different things. Cheaty cheaty cheat cheat.

I never said it was a game? Did I?

If using Ringtrainer is cheating, there are an awful lot of cheats about
Old 10 Oct 2002, 19:03 (Ref:400573)   #24
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
has anyone done the Miloval? i've found out i am a gnat's-wing away from the world record

Old 10 Oct 2002, 20:54 (Ref:400675)   #25
Arturo Pereira
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arturo Pereira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers used to drive the Ring in the prevous days with their own cars. That was the usual in the 50s and 60s.

Arturo