steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar also in friday testing!

Jaguar switch to Friday test option
By Alan Baldwin

LONDON (Reuters) - Jaguar have changed their minds and decided to test at grand prix weekends in exchange for limited testing during the Formula One season, the team said on Friday.

"The management have done their sums very carefully on this, weighed up every alternative and we are convinced that this gives us considerably more bang for our buck," said spokesman Nav Sidhu on Friday.

Renault, Jordan and Minardi were previously the only teams to take up the so-called Friday option, giving them two hours of testing with three cars on race Fridays but limiting them to 10 days during the season.

The Jaguar about-turn unites the three Ford Cosworth-powered teams alongside Renault, although a well-placed Formula One source suggested that the French carmaker was also considering its position and may go back to full testing.

"As far as I know there is no change at the moment," a Renault spokeswoman said. "I can't say whether there will be in the future."

Ford-owned Jaguar, seventh overall last season, had been planning to carry out around 46 test days during the course of the year, 20 of them before the start of the season.

The team said they had now been offered the chance of testing for 20 days during the season with just one car instead of 10 days with as many as they wanted, an option that meant little loss of track time.

"Within the new framework, we can now have 20 one-car test sessions which, to be honest, isn't too different to what we had planned in the first instance," said Sidhu.

COST CUTS

Jaguar have one of the least experienced lineups in Formula One, with Australian Mark Webber and Brazilian rookie Antonio Pizzonia.

Pizzonia in particular can be expected to benefit from the extra two hours at circuits such as Monaco while Jaguar, who have made staff redundant and cut costs over the last year, will gain logistically.

"This benefits Jaguar in several ways," said Sidhu, who denied the move was motivated by cost cutting.

"First and foremost, our drivers will now have an extra two hours to familiarise themselves with the circuits and in Antonio's case, this is invaluable given his debut season as an F1 driver.

"In addition, it makes our logistical operation more efficient in that we are not having to continuously transport cars from races to tests.

"Instead, we can have one car dedicated to testing and three others dedicated entirely to the race schedule. There is no transferring of cars, equipment or people."

Teams had to make their minds up about testing by November last year, with the Friday option dependent on three teams signing up for it.

However, it was suggested subsequently by Minardi boss Paul Stoddart that the door would remain open to other teams to take up the option until the season starts in Australia on March 9.

"The new framework will also allow us to better exploit the Michelin tyre development programme," said Sidhu.

"And if you look at races like Monaco, Canada and Australia where teams do not test prior to the race weekend, two extra hours on the Friday is far better for us than, say, six hours of testing around Valencia."

(reuters)
Old 14 Feb 2003, 19:50 (Ref:506836)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smart choice
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:38 (Ref:507041)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'm wondering when Sauber will make the switch. I wonder if B*A*R will make the switch also. I suppose if McLaren were to make the switch, (not that I expect them to) that would create panic in the ranks.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:01 (Ref:507083)   #4
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not an option for McLaren and Ferrari as they have to extensively test their new cars after Melbourne
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:04 (Ref:507093)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Friday testing teams WILL have an advantage, with the extra track time, especially at tracks were testing is prohibited, such as Monaco and Albert Park. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:22 (Ref:507127)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems as if the teams weren't realizing that refuelling between Q and R is no longer allowed. The sites bring it as a news-item, but I thought it was decided some time ago. Apparently not. Maybe that has got something to do with teams now taking interest in Friday-testing.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:35 (Ref:507144)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
It's the pre-Thursday tyre selection for the non-Friday testers that's causing the problem. In this regard, the previous year's info has little benefit owing to the rapid development of tyre compounds during any year.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:39 (Ref:507147)   #8
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one of the 10 (20 for Jag.) private test days can't be completed due to weather (rain, etc.), does it stil count?
Old 14 Feb 2003, 23:44 (Ref:507154)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good choice by Jaguar. They get testing AT the track, which will always be a bonus to the teams.

I expect a couple of other teams to join up to save money as well.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 09:08 (Ref:507381)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The more teams that sign up for Friday testing the better it becomes - the quicker the dirty track gets cleaned and some meaningful running can occur.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Feb 2003 at 11:51.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 11:32 (Ref:507459)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I'd like to see one more top team take up this option to really stir the pot. Depending on how critical teh choice of tyres is, this could be a winning move.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 13:09 (Ref:507542)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it's cost-related. Ford are going down the tubes!

And I can't believe Nav Sidhu said they'll be getting more "Bang for their buck" !?
Old 15 Feb 2003, 13:44 (Ref:507568)   #13
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Of course it's cost-related. Ford are going down the tubes!
I remember when the tech changes were announced by the FIA a few weeks ago... They were explaining that F1 couldn't afford to lose another team, since at least one of the manufacturer teams had said they'd refuse to run a third car. I bet that was Jaguar.

Quote:
And I can't believe Nav Sidhu said they'll be getting more "Bang for their buck" !?
Well that's certainly true - it's a much better use of their cash. It's terrific to see how this cost-cutting measure could give the less well-endowed (in terms of budget) a bit of a leg up. The smartest change they've introduced recently.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 14:11 (Ref:507591)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was more distressed at his ridiculous use of language, to be honest.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 02:00 (Ref:509066)   #15
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jag become a Friday Team

Not sure if this has been discussed yet (sorry if it has) but Jag have announced that they will join the ranks of the Friday teams. GOOD CALL

"AUSTRALIAN Mark Webber will have up to an extra two hours on the track at his home Formula One grand prix in Melbourne next month after a U-turn by Jaguar Racing.

In a surprise move, Jaguar has suddenly decided to join the other three teams taking advantage of a new test session on the Friday morning of the event, March 7.

That will give 26-year-old Webber, entering his second year in F1, and his young Brazilian rookie teammate Antonio Pizzonia valuable extra track time at Albert Park ahead of qualifying.

It could also help those four teams in making better choices on tyre compounds for qualifying and the race on March 9.

The other six F1 teams will be forced to declare the tyre compounds they will use at a GP on the Thursday of the event week, while those testing on Fridays can postpone that decision until after they have run in the morning session.

News of Jaguar's change of heart came amid continuing turmoil over rules for the new season, with the sport's governing body, the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), making almost daily changes.

Jaguar's decision may also have been influenced by the edict of its parent company Ford to curb costs.

On the positive side, Jaguar's new R4-model F1 car has proven to be competitive, with Pizzonia setting a lap record at testing in Valencia, Spain, last Friday after Webber completed a trouble-free, 300km race-distance trial earlier in the week.

"I've found a very good baseline with the car," Webber said.

"It handled well on a heavy fuel load, which was encouraging. But there's still a lot of work to do before Melbourne and a few minor problems to iron out."

Two weeks ago Webber was opposed to Jaguar taking part in the new test session, saying: "Friday is normally a bit of a write-off in terms of development."

However, Niki Lauda, who hired Webber for Jaguar Racing before he was fired in December, had said participating in the Friday tests would be "a very, very smart thing to do."

"Just imagine the extra advantage you will have with extra running at tracks like Monaco (which, like Melbourne, is not a permanent circuit and not used by F1 cars other than at the time of its GP)."

The switch by the latest management in the Jaguar camp has been prompted by the latest revision to testing rules for the season.

Initially, teams that signed up for the new Friday testing, allowing them to run three cars and as many drivers as they like for the two extra hours at each GP this year - were to be allowed only 10 other days of testing during the season.

However, these teams - Minardi, Jordan, Renault and Jaguar - will now be allowed 20 test days outside of GPs, but with only one car on those days.

Jaguar said that schedule was close to what it had intended anyway, so taking up the Friday session was a bonus.

"The management have done their sums very carefully on this, weighed up every alternative, and we are convinced that this gives us considerably more bang for our buck," Jaguar spokesman Nav Sidhu said.

"Within the new framework, we can now have 20 one-car test sessions (apart from GP weekends) which, to be honest, isn't too different to what we had planned in the first instance.

"The new framework will also allow us to better exploit the Michelin tyre development program.

"If you look at races like Monaco, Canada and Australia, where teams do not test prior to the race weekend, two extra hours on the Friday is far better for us than, say, six hours of testing around Valencia (in Spain, one of the tracks most used for F1 testing).

"This benefits Jaguar in several ways.

"First and foremost, our drivers will now have an extra two hours to familiarise themselves with the circuits and, in Antonio's case, this is invaluable given it is his debut season as an F1 driver.

"In addition, it makes our logistical operation more efficient in that we are not having to continuously transport cars from races to tests.

"Instead, we can have one car dedicated to testing and three others dedicated entirely to the race schedule.

"There is no transferring of cars, equipment or people," he said.

AAP
Old 17 Feb 2003, 02:25 (Ref:509077)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Thanks for the update
Old 17 Feb 2003, 03:10 (Ref:509094)   #17
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for merging threads.

I wonder what the time limit is for teams to switch across (it came as some surprise that Jag still had the option to switch when they did)? Four teams is probably enough to provide entertainment during that session, although a couple more wouldn't hurt.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 03:21 (Ref:509098)   #18
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I guess they can change until the first friday practice session.