Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Oct 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2572324)   #1
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 17 - Eithad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Yas Marina

Hi folks. It's been ages since I've done one of these introduction threads, so apologies if it's rubbish. But in my defence, obviously there aren't many statistics since it's a new Grand Prix! I hope I'm not rocking anybody's boat by creating this thread, but I didn't see one so I thought I'd lend a hand. Anyway, moving on...

Both championships may have already been decided, but there is still plenty at stake as the 2009 Formula One season reaches its climax at the new Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. Rubens Barrichello and Sebastian Vettel are separated by only two points in the battle for second place in the Drivers Championship, while in the Constructors Championship McLaren and Ferrari have just one point between them in the battle for third.

Even before the cars started arriving in Abu Dhabi, the venue has received mixed opinons; mainly concering the limited run-off areas, the starting time, and of course the increasingly infamous pit lane exit tunnel. With only a few hours of practice at this new venue between now and Qualifying, how will the grid shape up for F1's first ever twilight race? The action gets underway at 5:00pm local time on Sunday.

Once again Toyota are without Timo Glock, so following his slightly controversial debut in Brazil, Kamui Kobayashi fills the vacant seat.

Finally, I think I should give an honourable mention to Giancarlo Fisichella. After thirteen seasons and three race victories in Formula One, it seems likely that this will be his final Grand Prix. Good luck Giancarlo!

Formula One 2009 - Round 17 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Yas Marina Circuit

F1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.DriverAndy Blackmore ImageConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn Mercedes89
2.Sebastian VettelRed Bull Renault74
3.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn Mercedes72
4.Mark WebberRed Bull Renault61½
5.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren Mercedes49
6.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari48
7.Nico RosbergWilliams Toyota34½
8.Jarno TrulliToyota30½
9.Fernando AlonsoRenault26
10.Timo GlockToyota24
11.Felipé MassaFerrari22
=Heikki KovalainenMcLaren Mercedes22
13.Robert KubicaBMW Sauber17
14.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber15
15.Giancarlo FisichellaFerrari / Force India Mercedes8
16.Adrian SutilForce India Mercedes5
=Sébastien BuemiToro Rosso Ferrari5
18.Sébastien BourdaisToro Rosso Ferrari2

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings

Pos.ConstructorPoints
1.Brawn Mercedes161
2.Red Bull Renault136½
3.McLaren Mercedes71
4.Ferrari70
5.Toyota54½
6.Williams Toyota34½
7.BMW Sauber32
8.Renault26
9.Force India Mercedes13
10.Toro Rosso Ferrari7

Yas Marina Circuit

MapLengthDirectionTurnsLapsLap Record
5.554km (3.451 miles)Anti-Clockwise2155N/A

External Links

Internal Links

Enjoy the last Grand Prix of the season everyone!

Paul
Old 30 Oct 2009, 02:47 (Ref:2572325)   #2
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For BBC viewers and listeners, here are the scheduled television, interactive and radio times for the race weekend (times are in GMT)...

BBC Television Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 30th October1845 - 1900Inside F1
Saturday 31st October1210 - 1410Qualifying
Sunday 1st November1210 - 1515Race
1900 - 2000Race Highlights
Monday 2nd November0305 - 0405Race Highlights (R)

BBC Red Button Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeChannel
Friday 30th October0855 - 1035Free Practice 1
1255 - 1435Free Practice 2
Saturday 31st October0955 - 1105Free Practice 3
1210 - 1410Qualifying
Sunday 1st November1210 - 1515Race
1515 - 1615Interactive Forum
(Not all programmes are available on Freeview)

BBC Radio Schedule

DateTimeSession/ProgrammeStation
Friday 30th October0855 - 1035Free Practice 1
1255 - 1435Free Practice 2
2100 - 2130Grand Prix Preview
Saturday 31st October0955 - 1105Free Practice 3
1255 - 1405Qualifying
Sunday 1st November1300 - 1600Race
BLUE = Radio 5 Live / GREEN = Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

NB: Don't take all of this as being 100% correct! I did my best to ensure its accuracy, but the times are subject to change, and I am subject to making mistakes
Old 30 Oct 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2572382)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Burnsie
no it's not rubbish. Great job. Thanks for doing it.

Well...the last GP of the season is upon us. Where has all the year gone?
It seems like only a few weeks ago everyone was looking forward to the first 2009 GP. Time has gone so quickly.

Overall I have enjoyed this year and I'm looking forward to Abi Dhabi.

Cheers
Peter
Old 30 Oct 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2572405)   #4
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is also bye BMW this weekend
Old 30 Oct 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2572431)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Thanks Burnsie.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new track in-action. The pit exit reminds me of a multi-storey car park. Or Sooty's bedroom.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2572474)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and don't forget the circuit is partially manned by British marshals - so it's nearly "our" GP! (it may of course be the nearest we get to another GP for a while.....)
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2572487)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
...and don't forget the circuit is partially manned by British marshals - so it's nearly "our" GP! (it may of course be the nearest we get to another GP for a while.....)
Stop being negative, Piglet, that's not like you at all.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:05 (Ref:2572492)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Stop being negative, Piglet, that's not like you at all.
Sorry, I probably forgot the
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2572493)   #9
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Any update from the marshals in the tunnel? Do they feel at all safe with the flimsy looking fence protecting them? Or is it quite substantial?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2572501)   #10
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

With over 70 minutes remaining in FP2 the sky still looks very bright, although Maurice Hamilton says that the circuit will be in total darkness by the end of the session. The light must fade very quickly...
Old 30 Oct 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2572505)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great preview

Loving the circuit. Just looks out of this world. Takes some aspects from all different types of circuits, and the buildings are incredible

Kobayashi's driving well too. Currently P3
Old 30 Oct 2009, 14:51 (Ref:2572552)   #12
richie_h
Rookie

richie_h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the track looked a little dull during the day but now its dark it has come alive

Lewis is flying too which is a bonus, I can see a british 1-2 on sunday!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2572560)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say after seeing the practice sessions, I'm not convinced on this track. Sure it looks good from the outside, but I personally can't see much action come race-day. I think it's been overtalked personally and would much rather have seen Interlagos as the final race as that place CAN and does put on a race every year.

But anyway, I think qualifying should be close again between McLaren, Red Bull and Brawn with perhaps an outsider in the form of a BMW or Toyota to be up there, Force India could be solid too.

I'm sure the likes of Raikkonen, Alonso and Rosberg will want to put on good performances for the last races for their respective teams, and of course, everybody else wanting to win the last race of 2009.

On paper it looks to be good and I'm sure it would be if it was elsewhere. Personally I don't understand why we are going to places like this when the traditional places that put on good races get left off the calendar. But that rant is for another topic!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2572575)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I have to say after seeing the practice sessions, I'm not convinced on this track. Sure it looks good from the outside, but I personally can't see much action come race-day. I think it's been overtalked personally and would much rather have seen Interlagos as the final race as that place CAN and does put on a race every year.

But anyway, I think qualifying should be close again between McLaren, Red Bull and Brawn with perhaps an outsider in the form of a BMW or Toyota to be up there, Force India could be solid too.

I'm sure the likes of Raikkonen, Alonso and Rosberg will want to put on good performances for the last races for their respective teams, and of course, everybody else wanting to win the last race of 2009.

On paper it looks to be good and I'm sure it would be if it was elsewhere. Personally I don't understand why we are going to places like this when the traditional places that put on good races get left off the calendar. But that rant is for another topic!
I agree with all of that, which is why I am glad that the title was decided at Interlagos, which is a great circuit.

That's the difference, really, You either have Interlagos, where the facilities are by all accounts pretty abysmal, or you have Yas Marina, where the facilities are admittedly out of this world and set a new high, but with a circuit that's a typical, nothing special Herman Tilke design.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2572652)   #15
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gotta be a bit impressed with the young Japanese fellow, yes it is friday practice, but despite the complaints Button made, today and his driving at Brazil certainly do show that he is not like a fish out of water in a F1 car, pretty darn impressive--even taking into account the usual friday sessions times that dont tend to keep on as the weekend goes on (numerous other mid field cars throughout the year, or years past generally)
will be watching to see how quali goes etc. Nice to see a newcomer do well thats all.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 20:17 (Ref:2572692)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
hmmm...Koby and Kovy at Toyota anyone?

Track seems to be more interesting than was first thought.

Great intro Burnsie.

Interesting fact number 235765

Apparently most of the Grandstand seating areas at the track are air-conditioned! A 'world first'.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2572745)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Burnsie, nice job !
Old 30 Oct 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2572748)   #18
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

You're very welcome everyone, thanks for all the compliments!
Old 30 Oct 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2572756)   #19
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Interesting fact number 235765 Apparently most of the Grandstand seating areas at the track are air-conditioned! A 'world first'.
And probably like a lot of large facilities in the middle east, it'll be a "total loss" system. I.e. use megawatts of power to cool the air, blow it over the crowd and then just let it drift away into the hot desert air. If you thought F1 had dubious green credentials already, then try airconditioning a desert at the same time. As for the track itself... one, possibly two, overtaking places on smooth flat tarmac, with smooth flat tarmac run-offs. When the most notable feature of a race circuit is it's pit lane exit, that'll be a Tilke circuit. In spite of all that, though, I'm hoping for a great race and the real possiblity of a British 1-2. Bring it on

Oh, and great job on the intro Burnsie.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 23:43 (Ref:2572769)   #20
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the overtaking problems that this facility really highlights is the no grip off the rubbered line syndrome.
If ther was an eve level of grip across the entire width of the circuit the amount of tarmac available at Abu Dhabi would provide a lot of overtaking. Of course once a line gets rubbered in that becomes the only fast line and the rest of the circuit is wasted space. That is highlighted by the blown sand and the new unscrubbed surface.
That of course is the problem with most of the Tilke circuits and a lot of the others.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 02:21 (Ref:2572805)   #21
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
while this is a problem with most tracks I imagine, the fine particles in the air must make this a much more prevelent issue here.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2572823)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The facility is SIMPLY stunning, come on admit it...

Can you replicate this in England? no you can not, so stop moaning and groaning and except defeat...
Old 31 Oct 2009, 05:54 (Ref:2572849)   #23
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right Jeremey. Simply stunning and a tribute to them.
Doubt if it will be matched anywhere in the world in the near future.
Loved the skipper of the liner watching FP1 from the bridge.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 07:27 (Ref:2572863)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly I'm not sure you could for many reasons, not least the topography of the land. As with most areas in this part of the world it is pretty flat, indeed this one is (I think) on reclaimed land. Another point may be the demographic. Most race fans in Europe are happy to wander around for most of the weekend and only need a seat for the race. Out here it is the oposite.

From the TV the facilities are certainly stunning and although I've not seen it in the flesh it seems to be a notch up on Bahrain which set the benchmark for Mid East circuits.

It also makes Lossail, here in Qatar a bit second hand.

Hope the race is a good one.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2572905)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The facility is SIMPLY stunning, come on admit it...
It is genuinely jaw-dropping.

It feels like I'm watching a space Grand Prix from the future.