Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 Aug 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3847137)   #1776
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Vorspung Dough Technik surely?
Very good Grant, like it, nice to see someone using their loaf.
Old 30 Aug 2018, 21:24 (Ref:3847143)   #1777
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Very good Grant, like it, nice to see someone using their loaf.

Crumbs!

Could be on a roll with this suggestion Bob?

How could we prove it as a commercial proposition so we could share a thick slice of the crust earned?
Old 30 Aug 2018, 21:33 (Ref:3847145)   #1778
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A good business proposition. I've got a breadvan if you need to deliver your product.

Warburton's alas, not Ferrari.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Aug 2018, 06:25 (Ref:3847176)   #1779
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
" My girl ran away with a baker, I guess that she kneaded his dough,
Somewhere in the yeast he will take her, though he is not well bread I know.
He's got lots of crust and he carries a bun, it was pie for that guy to steal my only one.
My girl ran away with baker, he's made a big loafer of me"

Frank Crummit
Old 2 Sep 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3847653)   #1780
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Crumbs!

Could be on a roll with this suggestion Bob?

How could we prove it as a commercial proposition so we could share a thick slice of the crust earned?
Grant, this is not something that can be sandwiched in between jobs, it has to be the whole meal, not a cottage industry, too much room for bloomers otherwise. You could be one jammy devil and we need not spread things to far, then we can toast our success as everything flour ishes.

Yours bapple.
Old 2 Sep 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3847684)   #1781
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Grant/ You could be one jammy devil and we need not spread things to far, then we can toast our success as everything flour ishes.
kwassons again, here! What about carrots!
Old 2 Sep 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3847727)   #1782
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just at Calais . No ferry until 1.30 am . Grrrrrr
Old 3 Sep 2018, 03:25 (Ref:3847796)   #1783
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Just at Calais . No ferry until 1.30 am . Grrrrrr
Freight traffic or because schools go back this week.......?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3847921)   #1784
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Driving across Euro-land for 7hrs at 90kph gives you plenty of opprtunity for car spotting. My two favourites today, a Z3M Coupe in that odd metallic mustard colour, but best of all- a slightly tired looking Renault 21 TURBO ! It passed me twice, then was stopped in a services I took a break at, so maybe it or it’s occupants needed frequent rest stops or comfort breaks.....

Sure Gerard would know, but didn’t they race and rally the 21Turbo? Probably a collector’s item now.....
Old 3 Sep 2018, 16:58 (Ref:3847925)   #1785
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I had one, fantastic road car for its time and really cost effective specially with a 200 bhp chip. Cant really remember the works team rallying. They had a very powerful couple in Super Production and a french journalist -Jean Pierre Malcher- settled a speed record on ice with a modified and lighten one (probably a Quadra, not sure) at almost 247 kph. Remember the Europa Cup?
Yes, Mike, a collector. Looks like Mr Johns car, works like a rocket. Very reliable.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3847926)   #1786
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I raced once a Z3 M Coupé with a Randlinger engine at Jarama. Good result but stayed almost deaf during one week! Pleasure and noise unrestricted! Sometimes, Bimmers have a rather "soft" body…
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3847927)   #1787
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I had one, fantastic road car for its time and really cost effective specially with a 200 bhp chip. Cant really remember the works team rallying. They had a very powerful couple in Super Production and a french journalist -Jean Pierre Malcher- settled a speed record on ice with a modified and lighten one (probably a Quadra, not sure) at almost 247 kph. Remember the Europa Cup?
Yes, Mike, a collector. Looks like Mr Johns car, works like a rocket. Very reliable.
I forgot there was a 4 wheel drive version! I remember the standard road car being quick, but what about torque steer with 200bhp? I always wanted a 406Mi-16 or a 309 GTi ‘16 Soupapes’ but sadly that was never sold in the UK. So have to be content with a 205 Rallye....
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3847929)   #1788
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the UK at least a couple of Renault 21 Turbos have been raced . James Roseblade ran one in the BARC Production Car Championship in the early nineties while more recently Bob Claxton has run one in BARC NW Sports Saloons Championship as well as the CSCC's Special Saloon series .
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3847930)   #1789
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
As always, Mike, you ask a good question. In fact, at least on the FWD version, the boost pressure was restricted on the first speed. Obviously, the Mi-16 was the competitor. Do you remember the AWD version of this Peugeot with Citroën hydraulic rear suspension?
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:25 (Ref:3847931)   #1790
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When supercharging was up to date, we had a Peugeot Cup for the 505 T. If my memory serves, while Renault made profit of its experience with its "tea pots" for its road cars, Peugeot had to ask for help from Porsche, engineering department. We were many competitors in this Coupe de France, and a great majority had a 505 T as a daily. We found the chassis far better than the comparable 5 Series.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3847934)   #1791
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
In the UK at least a couple of Renault 21 Turbos have been raced
May be the Renault marketing team was wiser in UK. In France, nobody from the headquarters wanted a single R21 to be better than a R30 or, latter, a Safrane. Did you have Safran BiTurbo Quadra on your market? Comparable in intention to your Lotus Omega. They had to involve two german companies, Irmsher and Hartge to produce a car nobody was waiting for… And YES, this one is a collector!!

Last edited by Gerard C; 3 Sep 2018 at 17:40.
Old 3 Sep 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3847937)   #1792
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And we have some Citroën BX 4 TC around. In principle, Citroën bought back ALL the cars they had sold (all meaning rather few in this case).
May be "Messire Jean des Hauts de France" was in charge when Citroën tried to hyde a Lotus Esprit chassis under a modest Visa body? What a farce! Happy days!
And yes, Ami Robert, all this is historic. Not hysteric…
Old 4 Sep 2018, 04:57 (Ref:3848049)   #1793
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be the Renault marketing team was wiser in UK. In France, nobody from the headquarters wanted a single R21 to be better than a R30 or, latter, a Safrane. Did you have Safran BiTurbo Quadra on your market? Comparable in intention to your Lotus Omega. They had to involve two german companies, Irmsher and Hartge to produce a car nobody was waiting for… And YES, this one is a collector!!
Not heard of the Safran BiTurbo. Not surprised it wasn’t a big seller....

There’s a very good (English) history of the BX GpB car here... https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-gr...itroen-bx-4tc/

My favourite Citroen rally car is the Visa Mille Pistes but that doesn’t quite compare with the tiny little GpA Talbot Samba Rallye! Now there’s a giant killer......
Old 4 Sep 2018, 06:58 (Ref:3848066)   #1794
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Oh yes, the Mille Pistes was a very good car even if poorly built. This engine is fantastic, you can rev'it beyond the 8k mark. They make a lot of money by now even in UK I guess. Wasn't the Samba race version a Group B? Not sure about that.
Did you ever experience a Xantia Activa? With minor modifications to the hydraulic suspension, the car was supposed to "lean" inside the curves, like a bike. As a result, the comfort was more than compromised. And the cornering abilities relied on Michelin tires who made a special compound for this car… We called them qualy tires!

Thanks for the quite interesting link!
Old 4 Sep 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3848068)   #1795
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very well documented article, thanks again, Mike. They talk about people I knew quite well, for instance Philippe Wambergue was a neighbor. Guy Verrier and the fantastic Jean Claude Andruet both share a good competition file in judo/karaté when young. Souvenirs, souvenirs…
Old 5 Sep 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3848353)   #1796
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Reference to the Delta truck clocking up 300000km a few days ago, my Vovo hit 600000 today. Didn’t stop to take a pic as I was flat out on the M25 at the time- which is an extremely rare occurrence....
Old 5 Sep 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3848360)   #1797
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Reference to the Delta truck clocking up 300000km a few days ago, my Vovo hit 600000 today. Didn’t stop to take a pic as I was flat out on the M25 at the time- which is an extremely rare occurrence....
Somehow I cant see me making it to 600,000. That sure is impressive Mike.BTW I am still at work for a few more hours getting Goodwood cars ready. Another horrible ready meal consumed. Never mind I am looking forward to the Goodwood hospitality.
Old 5 Sep 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3848365)   #1798
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Somehow I cant see me making it to 600,000. That sure is impressive Mike.BTW I am still at work for a few more hours getting Goodwood cars ready. Another horrible ready meal consumed. Never mind I am looking forward to the Goodwood hospitality.
You can make up for the rubbish ready meal at Goody. They do feed you well.....

Just worked out fuel consumption for Ricard and back- 9.4 mpg. Not bad. Darn fuel prices still creeping up- I paid average €1.57 on Autoroutes, but some stations are well into the €1.60s, and my local Shell is now £1.449. I’ve stopped using them as Thetford BP is 7 pence a litre cheaper- that’s £21.00 on a 300 litre top up, or a pizza and beer in Stavelot..... BTW big thumbs up to Total and Leclerc fuel stations, now installing credit card truck pumps that will allow around 500 litres. Saves so much time as well!
Old 5 Sep 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3848377)   #1799
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our local Tesco is still 124.9 for diesel. Plus I'm getting 17.5 mpg :-) "Mustn't grumble"

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Sep 2018, 05:09 (Ref:3848438)   #1800
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I didnt realize its possible to spare € 23 on one top up but will keep it in mind. Yesterday was the first time in decades of driving I could see diesel more expensive than SP98. Now I use internet to find the cheaper station services around me.