Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 May 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1919374)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lakeside Raceway - Photos of the Circuit Today

I went for a 5 minute drive down the road to Lakeside today to inspect the circuit's conditions and take some photos. Thought I'd share some of them. Here are a few of the best:

Control Tower overlooking the start/finish line

Graffiti on the Pit HQ building

Looking back towards the kink on the front straight

The last corner

The grid

More photos: http://cfm.globalf1.net//?page_id=169

A few notes about the circuit condition:
  • The track surface appears to be in an acceptable condition. Only the pit-lane entrance is badly broken up.
  • The control tower, scrutineering building and pit-HQ have all taken a battering from vandalism. The control tower's glass windows have been smashed. The rooms have been bordered up to stop further damage.
  • "Lakeside Room" and the pit-garages appear to have been well-preserved. There was a bin just outside the pit-garages that was full of new-looking empty soft-drink cans and bottles.
  • There was no sign of any recent lawn-mowing, construction, development or maintenance of any kind.
  • The Grand Prix Jaguar bridge is now home to pigeons.
  • The circuit is in fairly bad shape - what you'd expect after 6 years of neglect. The pit-garages, track-surface, and armco are all in decent nick, but pretty much everything else would need major repairs or re-construction.

I hope John Tetley's plans come to fruition.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1919388)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Judging by all the rubber layed on the grid someones been having a good time.
Wouldn't hurt to phone Jims Mowing either.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1919407)   #3
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNQ
I hope John Tetley's plans come to fruition.
So do I. I will certainly load up the trailer and bring my historic car to any historic racing event that he can run at Lakeside. I wouldn't want to miss that opportunity. I will never travel that far north for QR, or Morgan Park.
Old 23 May 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1919408)   #4
TheTaipan
Rookie

TheTaipan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that DNQ - I grew up not far from there and Lakeside will always have special memories for me - I hope it will still be there when my kids are old enough - but somehow I doubt it.

SL
Old 23 May 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1919489)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed how saddening it is to see such a great track like that in such a bad condition... It truly is a shadow of its former self.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 May 2007, 12:01 (Ref:1919497)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Well at least it's still there in some form, unlike Amaroo, Warwick Farm, Oran Park (well, soon), etc.
Old 24 May 2007, 00:12 (Ref:1919970)   #7
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know if Lakeside is open enough to have a look around - like you did DNQ? How easy was it to get in and take some photos (all I want to do as well)?
Old 24 May 2007, 00:21 (Ref:1919975)   #8
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many memeroies there. Thanks for posting them
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 24 May 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1919977)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888_Fan
Does anybody know if Lakeside is open enough to have a look around - like you did DNQ? How easy was it to get in and take some photos (all I want to do as well)?
Very easy.

I did not see any signs saying No Trespassing, and there were no fences more than 2 feet high. There's obviously been lots of people hanging around there, as there was lots of fresh rubbish, etc.
Old 24 May 2007, 00:37 (Ref:1919979)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it looks that bad. If the place is cleaned up, the grass chopped down and everything painted it wouldn't look that bad.
Old 24 May 2007, 00:45 (Ref:1919981)   #11
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard talk of it reopening later this year, then next year. Looking at the entry to the main straight the armco looks very close for bike racing, maybe they'll move it back or use heaps of air fence.

Jeff
Old 24 May 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1919995)   #12
roverboy
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
roverboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is currently being used as a training venue for local cyclists and tri - athletes.

As most people already know, QLD Raceway is currently negotiating with the local council for use of the facility. Rumors suggest the council is doing everything possible to delay the signing of the lease agreement.
Old 24 May 2007, 05:53 (Ref:1920033)   #13
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lakeside Hostage to Land Cartel

16 April, 2207

Brisbane, Australia - A Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts' insider source confirmed that the Pine Rivers Shire Council is being bullied by a small group of wealthy landowners using a publicity campaign of misinformation to delay the successful tenderer from opening Lakeside to the community.

The anti-Lakeside faction has acquired large holdings of lake-front acreage and wants to continue to prevent public access to the facility until the deal with the State Government, preserving the site's motor racing heritage, expires in 2010.

It is also being reported that some councillors are resisting heavy pressure to circumvent the spirit of the South East Queensland Regional Plan with a strategy to re-zone the former Australian Grand Prix circuit after 2010, or write-it-off as a multi-million dollar ratepayer donation to the local golf club.

President of LMRE, Ian Milton said,

"If one of Queensland's rare public motorsport venues can be re-zoned, then this well-healed minority will continue to bully Council into permitting subdivision of their estates. This will be a lotto win for them, but opening up the water front to another 1000 houses would be an insane burden on the Shire's fragile water supply. Conversely, Lakeside has a proven record over 40 years with its own water supply, has never had a pollution complaint lodged against it and no-one has ever provided one shred of scientific evidence that it has any impact on Lake Kurwongbah."

"Even if one was to accept the arguments of these selfish individuals at face value, how do they balance them against life saving public benefits to the majority of the Shire's population, such as educating our young drivers? Currently, Dakabin High School students are forced to pay higher costs and waste over 2 hours travelling to Ipswich for driver education courses when there's a vacant facility within walking distance of the school!"

"For each one of these wannabe developers complaining about Council process, LMRE has a member who moved to the area specifically to be closer to Lakeside, not to mention the fact that this gang represents less than one tenth of one percent of the ratepayers of the Shire and yet they're holding everyone east of Narangba Rd to ransom."

"The core of LMRE membership are Pine Rivers Shire residents and they are sick of hearing the childish cries about a lack of consultation even though the issue has been publicly debated in the media for nearly five years. How much credibility can you give someone who lacks basic knowledge of the local community issues and fails to do their own research?"

"Make no mistake, this argument over Lakeside is not about noise or water quality or any other public issue, it's about a handful of well positioned people attempting to sabotage the public process for personal financial gain."

LMRE has worked tirelessly for the past 5 years with the other committed stakeholders to develop a plan for Lakeside that doesn't exclude anyone, so now, we are not prepared to stand by and let a self-interested minority hijack the future of this community asset at the eleventh hour.

For more information - www.lakesideraceway.com

This is a copy of an email i recently received.
Old 24 May 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1920057)   #14
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Half the track is currently zoned as catchment for the lake - if you look at a map of the track, left to right, it's pretty much from Carousel, through the infield & paddock, then from Hungry corner & a fair chunk of the Eastern Loop - that's where the rain water comes from...

And I was led to believe at the time of it's closure, that it could never be zoned for residential for that very reason....

I wonder what info John Tetley has....
Old 24 May 2007, 09:35 (Ref:1920146)   #15
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pete55, I only have 2 words to say about the procrastination. Sadly neither of them would get past the auto-censor.

There's moments in life that aggravate, and moments that just plain infuriate!!
Old 24 May 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1920184)   #16
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Lakeside Hostage to Land Cartel

it's about a handful of well positioned people attempting to sabotage the public process for personal financial gain.
Sounds like Sydney Showground Speedway all over again!

Jeff
Old 24 May 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1920588)   #17
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Rowley Park Speedway in Adelaide in the mid 1970s
Old 25 May 2007, 05:23 (Ref:1920760)   #18
The Dart
Rookie

The Dart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a Duathlon (run, cycle, run event) at Lakeside on the 22nd July run by Triathlon Queensland, spectators are admitted free, would be a good oppotunity for you all to have a close look at the facilities. I believe the event starts early morning and finishes at lunch time.
Old 27 May 2007, 03:27 (Ref:1921865)   #19
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Wouldn't hurt to phone Jims Mowing either.
Is that what he's up to now, since retiring last year?

Seriously, the whole thing irks me. Too often have I seen powerful and influential people get their way with local government that only benefits them, not the ratepayers as a whole.

For example where I live they're hell bent on tearing down any building that has any sort of historical significance to build carparks, office blocks or multi-dwelling units, or whatever.

However, something promising in a backhanded sort of way. They're about to rip up Morwell Hillclimb to give a local power producer access to the coal. In exchange they promise to build another "better and more exciting" hillclimb circuit and to provide all the facilities that the Gippsland Car Club has invested at the existing venue, for nix.

I'll hold my breath waiting...

Last edited by mjt57; 27 May 2007 at 03:31.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2091825)   #20
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lakeside Saved?

Long Lease Locks in Lakeside

For Immediate Release: 18 December, 2007

Brisbane, Queensland - Supporters of Queensland's Lakeside Raceway received an early Christmas present this year with the Pine Rivers Shire Council and Wrexmere Pty Ltd (Queensland Raceway) signing off on a long term lease to operate the historic circuit on Brisbane's north side.

The agreement for 30 years, with an option for 10 years, obtained State Government Ministerial approval and will insure the facility celebrates its 50th anniversary on 19 March 2011.

Lakeside Motor Racing Enthusiasts president Ian Milton said,

"We're delighted and relieved by the news, but if we want to get on the track, everyone will have to pitch in and do their part - there's no more excuses for sitting on the sidelines."

When asked what the major challenges were to getting club-level motor racing back to Lakeside, John Tetley of Queensland Raceway said,

"We have all the usual major project hassles including red tape, availability of scarce resources, etc."

Mr Tetley said that an initial $1.2 million has already been secured to invest on rebuilding infrastructure and,

"The rest will depend on how wisely we invest the initial capital input and how many people come and spend their money there."

"We're targeting and hoping to re-open the driver training in February or March next year. Racing, maybe June, depending on a lot of variables including re-education of competitors and neighbour management."

Pine Rivers Shire Councillor Mike Charlton was very excited to declare the situation as "all systems go!" He described the council's vision for Lakeside as,

"Preservation of an iconic motorsport site embracing historic, commercial and club motorsport activities, combined with life-saving driver and rider education and community events."

Cr Charlton said that a legal action in the Planning & Environment Court between the PRSC and Mr Ron Curtis is "unlikely to delay" and is confident in their legal advice because it is "tried and tested" law. Last month a local newspaper article revealed that people had been listed as co-applicants without their permission. The action has been adjourned until 23 January, 2008.

Mr Milton pointed out the significance of events,

"An historic moment is occuring for the people of Queensland, and particularly the motorsport community, because I can think of no other example of a motor racing circuit in Australia being brought back from the brink like Lakeside."

"On behalf of LMRE members, I would like to extend a sincere invitation to anyone who has a passion for motorsport to help us get this deal over the line by registering on-line to help reconstruct Lakeside. You don't need to be an engineer, just bring the right attitude. To be part of history, please visit this site and fill in the form - "

http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au/qrformlake.php.";
Old 19 Dec 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2091901)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Awesome ... jeeze, if I was'nt in Melbourne I'd go do some digging myself.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2091979)   #22
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One off the Autodrome 2 list... good news though
Old 26 Dec 2007, 04:03 (Ref:2094896)   #23
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be some very tight noise restrictions - about 95db IIRC.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 06:15 (Ref:2096943)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Sounds good! I have seen video from this circuit from the past, and it seemed great! Maybe a future V8 round would be in the cars as well. The runoff doesn't seem to be to bad, since Sandown doest really have too much either, aside from the end of the main straight, and at T7.
Old 31 Dec 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2096976)   #25
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's right Falc, so short of some serious mufflers, cars like sports sedans, rotaries etc won't be able to run..