Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1782554)   #26
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
ITV don't produce their own coverage of the WRC (can't remember whose coverage they use) so they can only show what they're given. I'm not sure how much footage they actually get and whether they edit stuff out or not (there must be some fiddling to get the ads in). I guess the footage of the other classes is available too but ITV choose not to pick it up.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:56 (Ref:1782558)   #27
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is ISC who supplies the WRC programs to the broadcasters IIRC

Greenlight TV produce the BRC.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1782576)   #28
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think you can blame the TV companies for reduction in coverage when the event itself has been drastically reduced in size and stature, so no wonder they don't see it of any benefit to splash out a fortune on outside broadcast equipement and coverage.

I mean........what was it 18 or so stages over 2.5 days.......just what do the crews do for the rest of the time......sit around drinking tea....

18 stages use to be a days rallying on the RAC when rallying used to be a man's sport.....

Pathetic really......
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1782579)   #29
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
It is ISC who supplies the WRC programs to the broadcasters IIRC

Greenlight TV produce the BRC.
Yep and it looks like everyone gets the same basic program with a little variation i.e. the commentary and at times 'more' interviews with a local driver. I've seen coverage of the WRC in Spain, Germany and the UK (albeit all on Eurosport) and they were absolutely identical.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1782586)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
...18 stages use to be a days rallying on the RAC..
>>>and some of them would have been in the dark, too !
Old 5 Dec 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1782587)   #31
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I mean........what was it 18 or so stages over 2.5 days.......just what do the crews do for the rest of the time......sit around drinking tea....

18 stages use to be a days rallying on the RAC when rallying used to be a man's sport.....

Pathetic really......
Hear, hear.
In my day it was 5 days and 4 nights straight but I suppose the health & safety lobby wouldn't permit that today.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1782649)   #32
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think you can blame the TV companies for reduction in coverage when the event itself has been drastically reduced in size and stature, so no wonder they don't see it of any benefit to splash out a fortune on outside broadcast equipement and coverage.
But the events are reduced because of the TV company's request. Every channel including ITV since a year (two years?) use the actionfootage supplied by ISC. The rallies were moved to the weekend and a fixed format, so that the broadcasters could build a coherent schedule. Which is good for the sponsors, because now they have certainty how much for how long will be broadcasted and when. Nightstages are not really outlawed, but the stages have to end at a fixed time every day, so that the tv-images can be processed and sent out in time for the daily round-up.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1782654)   #33
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Steve Lowdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BHP,Barry Hinchcliffe Productions used to do all the TV,even the special that they had on just before Christmas.
Why does'nt Dave Richards do what Bernie Ecclestone has done to F1 & get all the TV rights & he could run the whole thing?
Old 5 Dec 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1782660)   #34
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some rose-tinted spectacles here about the BBC's coverage. Up to an hour's coverage daily might have been the norm towards the end of their contract, but I distinctly remember Top Gear Rally Report (not even produced by BBC Sport, you will note) being two 15-minute programmes per evening, which were largely the same and with a fair chunk of the time comprising interviews. Steve Lee would get a few nights off Midlands Today to present it...
Old 5 Dec 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1782686)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The BBC rallying was a half hour to one hour programme, a week after the event on Sunday Grandstand. I'm quite sure of it.

Rally GB coverage was quite extensive though, comparitively.

And the BBC did make a better programme, I really enjoyed them.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1782707)   #36
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, there was that coverage of the WRC in later years - I am thinking further back than that!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1782730)   #37
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
The BBC rallying was a half hour to one hour programme, a week after the event on Sunday Grandstand. I'm quite sure of it.

Rally GB coverage was quite extensive though, comparitively.
Whilst 'Top Gear Rally Report' existed for the RAC, coverage of the rest of the WRC was shown as part of the regular Top Gear programme, which often limited coverage of an entire round to a few minutes. Hence one of the reasons why Top Gear Motorsport was established.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1784430)   #38
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
I reckon all motorsport should come back to BBC!
Hey, I'll second that, Motorsport is (Was) just better on the BBC...
Old 7 Dec 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1784514)   #39
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthopps
Hey, I'll second that, Motorsport is (Was) just better on the BBC...

dont make.... me..... humm..... the.......... chain!

Cant........stop...

hmmmm hmmhmmhmm hmmhmmh h h h h.......................