Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:08 (Ref:2088908)   #26
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although Davidson acquitted himself well to the day-in-day-out stuff at the weekend, his performances, although solid, were not always spectacular and probably didn't really gain the attention of any other team on the grid.

Given that Super Aguri appear to be in all sorts of financial crisis, I'd say his time there is over as they will probably plump for a pay-driver.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2088935)   #27
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Although Davidson acquitted himself well to the day-in-day-out stuff at the weekend, his performances, although solid, were not always spectacular and probably didn't really gain the attention of any other team on the grid.

Given that Super Aguri appear to be in all sorts of financial crisis, I'd say his time there is over as they will probably plump for a pay-driver.
'Not always Spectacular'...only sometimes eh? Not much of a 'crisis' that could be solved selling one seat!

Last edited by Rennen; 14 Dec 2007 at 17:38.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 16:04 (Ref:2089551)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can think of two really good laps that Ant showed last year - qualifying in Australia and qualifying in Turkey. It's a shame he had early incidents (which didn't seem like his fault) in both those races, but he didn't generally shine against Sato. Unless you rate Sato above Alonso, he was nowhere near as impressive as Lewis. Coming off five years of regular F1 testing (including a year in the car he ultimately raced), he didn't show enough potential to improve. Ideally he'd get a second season, but if there's someone with more money and similar potential available to Aguri, I couldn't blame them for replacing him.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 16:41 (Ref:2089574)   #29
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I can think of two really good laps that Ant showed last year - qualifying in Australia and qualifying in Turkey. It's a shame he had early incidents (which didn't seem like his fault) in both those races, but he didn't generally shine against Sato. Unless you rate Sato above Alonso, he was nowhere near as impressive as Lewis. Coming off five years of regular F1 testing (including a year in the car he ultimately raced), he didn't show enough potential to improve. Ideally he'd get a second season, but if there's someone with more money and similar potential available to Aguri, I couldn't blame them for replacing him.
I used to like you 'boots'!...You havn't been paying full attention have you?
But he did 'shine' compared to Sato who's in what his 4th season? Ant outqualified him 10 times to 7.
Also you can't compare the least resourced team (excluding the excellent engine and g/box) with any other team on the grid and that includes Spyker. At Melbourne both cars qualified mid field, 10th & 11th that's amazing for a year old car on differant tyres, let alone a rookie V8 driver! By the later part of the season 'SAO7' (;-) had been leap-frogged by all, even the B spec Spykers! TSR and others had leap froged ahead. It's very difficult to 'shine' in an underfunded, underdeveloping car.

The ONLY reason you (and ITV) even noticed his Turkey Q2 lap was quite by chance...Ant just happened to be first out on circuit and first to put in his final flying Q2 lap, and the TV director followed the entire lap...had he not, you and all the viewers would have been none the wiser! After all why follow an Aguri for a full lap with so many more exciting cars and media hyped up drivers to watch?

Only because TV let the media witness it, did it get reported in detail how Ant actually achieved it. I'm reliable informed Sir Frank was talking about it, no surprise to this old enthusiast as he's one of the very few left these days who fully understands, or bothers to notice drivers inputs.

For those of you only interested in the straight stats...Ant set the 5th fastest sector 3 time of any car in Qualifying!
Kimi 24.033, Lewis 24.055, Massa 24.072, Webber 24.077, ANT 24.099, Alonso 24.101. Now credit where it's due just look at the company he's in...Both Ferrari's and Both Macs and Webber who's one of my favorite drivers who's excellent at Qually.

If any of you are interested? I can describe in detail how that was achieved, but don't go kidding yourselves that that could have been done everywhere, the car didn't always work for either of it's drivers, regardless of how hard they tried to 'shine'.

Last edited by Rennen; 15 Dec 2007 at 16:44.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 21:18 (Ref:2089684)   #30
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CERTAINLY, we're interested Rennen.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:15 (Ref:2089696)   #31
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am by all means interested too and its just absolutely great to have an insider onboard. I certainly want to know every in depth detail of Ant's career,
however, a good wine needs no bush is all I can say.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 22:25 (Ref:2089699)   #32
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Nothing short of fantastic Rennen that you have helped AD to realise his dream..We are more than interested in hearing as much as you wish to share with us..
Old 16 Dec 2007, 01:12 (Ref:2089765)   #33
Spawinte
Rookie

Ireland
Dundalk, Ireland
Spawinte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Details of how it was done? It was done by Ant having a good setup and by being a good driver wasn't it? I remember watching that lap and Brundle immediately commented that the lap would be good as soon as he saw how well the 3 apex corner (turn 8?) had been taken. Even I could see myself that he had lifted off far less than guys who should have been faster considering the cars they were driving. Nicely done.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2089829)   #34
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spawinte, you hit the nail right on the head mate. I am sure the large majority on 10tenths would like to see Ant get another crack at F1, i know i do, has Mr Honda got another daughter he needs to marry off, that might swing it for him, Rennen, as everyone has said, we are all very interested in everything you want to share with us regarding Ants season, fascinating reading, we are so lucky that you post here.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2089873)   #35
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My perception was that he did a solid job, edging Sato sometimes. They seemed fairly evenly matched. My only issue is that I'm not sure I rate Sato much, as he was so much slower than Button when they were team-mates, so does that make Ant slower than Button too? (awaits Rennen's inevitable backlash

That said, Sato seems quicker this year.

I think it'd be a shame if they got a pay driver as he probably wouldn't be as quick as Davidson, at least straight away, and teams that use pay drivers often change them at least every season, so they don't get time to gain enough experience to get that quick anyway.

Any news on what car Super Aguri will be using next year?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2089881)   #36
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't dismiss Filippi as just another pay-driver. That label is a bit harsh on him. He has done well in GP2 this year

I hope Anthony does keep the drive. He's done nothing to deserve losing it and didn't disgrace himself at all. And if he doesn't get it I hope he can get a drive of some sort in F1, perhaps testing for Honda or Aguri or someone else. It would be a shame to see him disappear off the radar the year after the big shot he's been waiting years for comes along
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:50 (Ref:2089907)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would disagree that JB was much faster than Sato so much as he was a more consistent finisher than Sato.

AD not only out-qualified Sato, typically he had the faster race laps as well. He has more than earned a race seat and the real shame of it is that he should be in a much more competitive seat. The SA 07 is not exactly the platform you would want to use to evaluate comparative driver ability, but AD wrung that thing's neck pretty good over the season!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2089909)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
I wouldn't dismiss Filippi as just another pay-driver. That label is a bit harsh on him. He has done well in GP2 this year.
I agree. He's certainly got talent to go with the family money. However, if he takes Davidson's place at Super Aguri, it will be purely for financial reasons, which is what irks people, I guess.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2089944)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss Filippi as just another pay-driver.
Personally, I was talking generally rather than specifically about Filippi.

Quote:
I would disagree that JB was much faster than Sato so much as he was a more consistent finisher than Sato.
He certainly was a more consistent finisher. I recall one season where Button scored, I can't remember how many but it might've been as many as 40 and Sato scored but 1! That's a disaster whichever way you look at it.

Quote:
the real shame of it is that he should be in a much more competitive seat. The SA 07 is not exactly the platform you would want to use to evaluate comparative driver ability
I disagree. The Super Aguri was a good car (last year's Honda I gather). Why could one compare drivers in quicker cars better though? Besides, there aren't many places in F1. A driver should in one sense be content to get any of those seats.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2089961)   #40
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Cool! You wanna know more (Turkey Q2) Well yeah he kept his boot in at that tricky double apex Turn 8, but that wasn't just 10/10ths commitment for the hell of it...there was a technical reason. Ant's especially good at tyre feed back to engineers (that's one of the reasons JB would like him back testing for Honda) Turkey has an abrassive surface so the 'Prime' tyre Bridgestone brought was Hard and the 'Option' tyre was medium. Ant quickly realised the the Prime was too hard, but that the Option was actually too soft for a low fuel hot lap...the sweet-spot wouldn't quite last a full lap and would go-off before the end of the lap...so he played with the tyre pressures. Low pressures slow the heat cycle so the tyre stands up longer...but the low pressures mean a low car and danger of bottoming-out! So in Q2 he tried running really slow out-lap's to preserve the tyre, which meant braving it out through Turn 8, but it meant the tyre would be up to full tempreture and working within it's limited sweet-spot in the last two sectors which was were good laps were being gained or by most lost! On his 2nd run he had the balance of pressures and bottoming out finely balanced...basically it was a compromise that required a lot of bottle through Turn 8 to achieve a good lap. He was quite tickled that TV picked this very lap to follow, as we know peoples perception (excluding the engineers who have the data) is based on media opinions. Sorry I can't say more about stuff, he's a very secretive man, and I have to quiz him big time, but he rarely shares important stuff as it it's on a need to know basis. But he does larf when I spout some rubbish I read in a magazine as true!
So tell me...what would you do in his position...push for the drive again at Aguri in a hand-me-down or go back to Honda and help set up the new stuff under Mr Brawn? I prefer the later cos I think about 2009 when JB & RB's contracts are up and Ross Brawn will have everything going his way by then too! Of course Ant like most drivers wants to race...but hey R&D in F1 is cutting edge, rewarding stuff, Honda need his special insight and feel IMHO! Pity though as having run him myself (albeit in karting for 8 seasons, winning 13 titles) I know he is a great little racer, and a real hard nut in a clinch (witness his race long defense against faster cars in the 2000 Formula Ford Festival)

Last edited by Rennen; 16 Dec 2007 at 15:46.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 15:51 (Ref:2089966)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Reading between the lines there,I'd say that AD was going to have a spell of testing next season.TBH,JB and AD together in the same team in 2009 would be something worth watching.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:02 (Ref:2089973)   #42
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer

I disagree. The Super Aguri was a good car (last year's Honda I gather). Why could one compare drivers in quicker cars better though? Besides, there aren't many places in F1. A driver should in one sense be content to get any of those seats.

At the begining of 2007 it wasn't toooooo bad...on Michelins it was the 4th/5th best car in 2006...on Bridgestones it was a 'differant kettle of fish'...look how the Renault reacted to a tyre change! And these cars have to be dialed everytime out, they don't suit every track or every condition...remember we are talking of several cars that driven well are within hundreths or thousandths of a second of each other! Let alone being underdeveloped through shortage of funds, and being leap-frogged by those around them that arn't so restricted.

On the Sato v Button debate above...they are differant drivers!...Button is 'Poetry in motion' compromised by a unwilling car. Sato is a Samuri Warrior who takes no prisoners regardless of what the car wants to do, or what others do at the first corner!
But having said that he was a much better racing driver this season...he didn't crash once! Ironically his 'stock' was lowered by his new rookie team-mates efforts, which instead of making Ant look good compared to him, it has just made people wonder about Taku!

Last edited by Rennen; 16 Dec 2007 at 16:06.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:19 (Ref:2089985)   #43
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
That was a great read Rennen thankyou.. IMHO I think Anthony should go back to Honda and help develop a winning race car alongside Ross Brawn.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 00:12 (Ref:2090194)   #44
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed here - Anthony has done nothing but good for his rep this season and being dropped for even a half-decent driver with money like Filippi, whilst hopping back to the A team as a tester, would not cause any harm to his image in my eyes.

(And besides come 2009 I'm hoping Max will have cleared off so I can watch F1 without having a horrid taste in my mouth - but that's for another thread)
Old 17 Dec 2007, 02:07 (Ref:2090241)   #45
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Cool! You wanna know more (Turkey Q2) Well yeah he kept his boot in at that tricky double apex Turn 8, but that wasn't just 10/10ths commitment for the hell of it...there was a technical reason. Ant's especially good at tyre feed back to engineers (that's one of the reasons JB would like him back testing for Honda) Turkey has an abrassive surface so the 'Prime' tyre Bridgestone brought was Hard and the 'Option' tyre was medium. Ant quickly realised the the Prime was too hard, but that the Option was actually too soft for a low fuel hot lap...the sweet-spot wouldn't quite last a full lap and would go-off before the end of the lap...so he played with the tyre pressures. Low pressures slow the heat cycle so the tyre stands up longer...but the low pressures mean a low car and danger of bottoming-out! So in Q2 he tried running really slow out-lap's to preserve the tyre, which meant braving it out through Turn 8, but it meant the tyre would be up to full tempreture and working within it's limited sweet-spot in the last two sectors which was were good laps were being gained or by most lost! On his 2nd run he had the balance of pressures and bottoming out finely balanced...basically it was a compromise that required a lot of bottle through Turn 8 to achieve a good lap. He was quite tickled that TV picked this very lap to follow, as we know peoples perception (excluding the engineers who have the data) is based on media opinions. Sorry I can't say more about stuff, he's a very secretive man, and I have to quiz him big time, but he rarely shares important stuff as it it's on a need to know basis. But he does larf when I spout some rubbish I read in a magazine as true!
So tell me...what would you do in his position...push for the drive again at Aguri in a hand-me-down or go back to Honda and help set up the new stuff under Mr Brawn? I prefer the later cos I think about 2009 when JB & RB's contracts are up and Ross Brawn will have everything going his way by then too! Of course Ant like most drivers wants to race...but hey R&D in F1 is cutting edge, rewarding stuff, Honda need his special insight and feel IMHO! Pity though as having run him myself (albeit in karting for 8 seasons, winning 13 titles) I know he is a great little racer, and a real hard nut in a clinch (witness his race long defense against faster cars in the 2000 Formula Ford Festival)
WOW, great information! Best of luck to you and to your son, I hope it all does work out and he winds up in competitive rides!

robert
Old 17 Dec 2007, 08:58 (Ref:2090362)   #46
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen

thanks for sharing that Rennen, it is great to know a little bit of what really happens in F1 and not the magazine drivel that always seems to say the same stuff and good luck to Ant
Old 17 Dec 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2090400)   #47
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
IMHO I think Anthony should go back to Honda and help develop a winning race car alongside Ross Brawn.
The problem with that is that Honda don't seem to want to give him a race drive - he had all those years testing with them and the only way he could get himself a race seat was when Honda's 'B' team came into the equation. Still, I suppose Barrichello will be on his way out in the next year or two, so perhaps there'll be an opening for him at Honda? (by which time the car should be a fair bit better than it was this year!)
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Dec 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2090436)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Sadly though Ralf's Girl, it sometimes seems that teams don't like to go for two drivers of the same nationality for commercial reasons.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2090500)   #49
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But do Honda need to care about "commercial reasons". Let's be honest they replaced sponsors logo's with the earth this season yet allegedly had more sponsors. I'd imagine a lot of English sponsors would be queuing round the block to sign up actually.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:27 (Ref:2090517)   #50
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
But do Honda need to care about "commercial reasons".
Well, yes. For the manufacturer teams, it's all about selling road cars. Therefore, they tend to prefer drivers who appeal to different 'markets'. Having drivers from two different nationalities (preferably different continents) helps them to penetrate two different markets. Obviously they have Barrichello at the moment, which helps to promote Honda in the South-American marketplace. With two Brits in the team, this wouldn't be possible.

The whole Earth Car idea was to try and capitalise on the current boom in ecological issues and paint themselves as an Eco-Friendly company...to help sell more road cars.

It's a far cry from small boys in the park, helmets for goalposts. Isn't it? Hmm.

Last edited by Super Hans; 17 Dec 2007 at 13:30.