Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Mar 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2844966)   #1
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The future of GT Pro Class

Not being possessed of much knowledge about what the ACO intends for this class, let the cars that could compete in it. It would be a true World Championship of GT's.

FERRARI 458 GT2
PORSCHE 911 GT2
ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE GT2
LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO GT2
MCLAREN MP4-12C GT2
MERCEDES SLS GT2
FORD GT GT2
PANOZ ESPIRIT OF LE MANS GT2
CORVETTE GT2
BMW M3 GT2
JAGUAR XKR GT2...

Any sugestions????
Old 13 Mar 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2845185)   #2
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Not being possessed of much knowledge about what the ACO intends for this class, let the cars that could compete in it. It would be a true World Championship of GT's.

FERRARI 458 GT2
PORSCHE 911 GT2
ASTON MARTIN VANTAGE GT2
LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO GT2
MCLAREN MP4-12C GT2
MERCEDES SLS GT2
FORD GT GT2
PANOZ ESPIRIT OF LE MANS GT2
CORVETTE GT2
BMW M3 GT2
JAGUAR XKR GT2...

Any sugestions????

SRO had originally planned a Pan European GT2 Championship, never a World Championship for GT2, only GT1's. His idea got hijacked by International GT Open. But that was his own fault, he was too worried about making sure he had enough cars for his World GT1 series.

ILMC main focus is the Prototype classes much to the delight of many on this forum. But for me and a few others (I assume you as well) those classes offer too much instability.

Could a World GT2 Championship rival the other series? I think it could, larger fields, professional drivers, factory support, Win On Sunday, Sell On Monday marketing benefit.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 15 Mar 2011 at 09:30. Reason: Standard sarcastic smartarse comment edited out.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 00:11 (Ref:2845277)   #3
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can only hope the avalanche of interest that has been revolving around the Blancpain series will wake them up to this reality.
But while there's prototypes at the top of the grids, and limited money, many car companies will not invest large amounts in GT racing. Porsche is a good example, and their invisibility in the ILMC this year, not to mention the other makes. But this can be compensated by privately sponsored teams since the GTs are a bit cheaper then Protos.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2845441)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
a true World Championship of GT's

Any sugestions????
Well, the ACO will do a seven-race Intercontinental Cup this year for some of these cars.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2845467)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
First I'm hearing of the SLS GT2.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2845533)   #6
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello guy´s , the list of cars that i made(suggest) is hipotetic.

The GT 2 version of Mercedes SLS and Mclaren MP4 12 C don´t exist yet. My opinion is that the GT3 versions are to a costumer program (Amateur´s); National championship´s; etc.

The List above is for a hipotetic unique class (GT2) GT-PRO not GT-Am. This Brands associated to Private Team´s with PRo riders could compete in races like LE MANS, 12H Sebring, 24h Spa, etc.

I´m only thinking in plus variety to the class.

I know that the LMP1 class is where the big Boy´s (Costumer´s) want to be, but Porsche and Ferrari in GT2 have a very profitable program in GT class.

Some one I can´t remember now said about the GT class that " Race on Sunday sell on Monday"...
Old 14 Mar 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2845683)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
LMP's and GT's are a better package together and a class victory in the ILMC/ALMS appears more prestigous than in GT only series.

In '97-'98 FIA GT was effectively a World Championship but by that time GT1's were basically LMP's so the series had all the ingredient the ILMC/LMS has today.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2846116)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
In '97-'98 FIA GT was effectively a World Championship but by that time GT1's were basically LMP's so the series had all the ingredient the ILMC/LMS has today.
GT1s were prototypes, but looked like road cars. Current LMPs are nearly impossible to link with road cars.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2846125)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You think the Porsche and Toyota GT1s looked like road cars? Aside from the McLaren, I would say the road car link was tenuous, to say the least...... That's one of the reasons I liked them so much!
Old 16 Mar 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2846781)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I don't mean that they looked like a specific road car, but that they looked like one lost, special model. Put it this way: if you told someone who knows a little about cars "check this 911 GT1, it's based on a 200-unit road car", they would believe that. That's not happening with the R18 or the 908 - there's no way anyone would believe there is a production car with that shape.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2846795)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
True enough. I guess as a prototype man, through and through, the need for a link with a road car is relatively unimportant for me.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2846834)   #12
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche's GT1-98 had tail lights like that of the Carrera. The 96 version used the 993's front clip.

Aysedasi, I might have mentioned this before so excuse me if I have. I along with what I assume would be many here would love to see pictures of the many trips to Le Mans that you have taken if you have them in a digital format?

Old 16 Mar 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2846911)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Porsche's GT1-98 had tail lights like that of the Carrera. The 96 version used the 993's front clip.

Aysedasi, I might have mentioned this before so excuse me if I have. I along with what I assume would be many here would love to see pictures of the many trips to Le Mans that you have taken if you have them in a digital format?

You'll find some of them on my website - the more as the years go by. I can't advertise my site here, but I'm easy enough to find......
Old 16 Mar 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2846993)   #14
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess that I should be called rookie from now on. My vision isn't what it used to be.

Last edited by porman; 16 Mar 2011 at 18:47.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2847299)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No worries! We were all rookies once!