Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 24 Nov 2001, 19:26 (Ref:178535)   #1
43Fan
Rookie

43Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rate TV coverage!!

I would give it a C- at best(NBC/TNT)
And give FOX a B....
Old 24 Nov 2001, 19:43 (Ref:178540)   #2
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear the NBC coverage ain't as good as expected from NASCAR fans, but it draws really well against the NFL.

Ratings of 4.0+ after Sept. are pretty good,
I honestly didn't think that both FOX & NBC would draw the numbers they are!
Old 25 Nov 2001, 00:48 (Ref:178595)   #3
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I much prefer FOX's coverage to NBC/TNT! The only coverage i've see worse than NBC/TNT, is the old ABC Wide World of Sports days! I'd like to see FOX get one half of the season, and ESPN, with the old crew (exctpt for Ned Jarrett, who has retired, though I'd love to see him come out of retirement) get the other half. That wouuld be a good split, IMO.
Old 25 Nov 2001, 03:31 (Ref:178620)   #4
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first I had a hard time with FOX- But as I got used to Larry's southern drawl & DW's singing- I began to like them. There was a lot of information being shared that I DON'T get with NBC. I especially loved their NASCAR rock & roll videos. I would give FOX a B- leaving room for improvement.

NBC- Nothing But Commercials. I don't like the Golly Wally & Buffet Benny together. They don't mix well. I used to like Benny alot- But I think he's lost something this year. I heard MORE mistakes! Their lack of reporting the stories drives me crazy too! I give them a D. Definatly BELOW average.

I am disappointed that NBC has the Daytona 500 in 2002. I feel that they will take advantage of the "BIGNESS" of this race & use it as a selling point for MORE commercials!
Old 25 Nov 2001, 04:10 (Ref:178624)   #5
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too prefered Fox\FX over NBC\TNT. Partly because I prefered their announcers. Alan Bestwick is too plastic, and that Bill Weber guy on NBC is annoying... But also because of my cable. NBC has nasty shadows and that is the worst way to watch a race. For every car on the screen there are two "ghosts". I was always pleased when a race would get delayed or whatever, and they would move it to TNT.

But I wish they would just go back to ESPN. What was that guy's name who was an announcer for so long? You know who I mean right? I associate that guy's voice with NASCAR more than anybody. But I just can't think of his name right now. He was at ESPN last year too. They had much better TV coverage, and the website... I don't even wanna get started on that one again.

Last edited by Tim B; 25 Nov 2001 at 04:17.
Old 25 Nov 2001, 11:43 (Ref:178676)   #6
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Roselady: Larry Mc sounds like Enos from the Dukes of Hazzard
Old 25 Nov 2001, 13:53 (Ref:178705)   #7
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here would be the line-ups if it were FOX and ESPN, and please leave A lways B roadcasting C ommercials out of it, their as bad as N othing B ut C ommercials! FOX keep it's same broadcast team. They have good chemistry going. ESPN, with as much of the original team as possible back. Bob Jenkins, of course Ned's retired, but I think his son Glenn could stand in for Ned, or Buddy Baker, somebody needs to get Buddy back in the booth! Finally, Benny Parsons. He, Ned and Bob had the good chemistry, as a team, and I think that this combination would work just as well. Get John Kernan, Dr Jerry Punck, and Webber back together in the pits, and you would have two networks with two good broadcast teams!
Old 25 Nov 2001, 15:50 (Ref:178725)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
Roselady: Larry Mc sounds like Enos from the Dukes of Hazzard
Yep-
Being so northern, I really had a hard time at first (sorry southern people) But I caught on.... The information that he past on with his whiney southern drawl- was worth the effort to listen to it. His logical way of explaining the cars set up & needs were great. I learned much from him. Better than hearing week after week what Areo Loose meant & the virtual garage!
Old 25 Nov 2001, 17:27 (Ref:178747)   #9
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would give Fox an A- and NBC a C+ (maybe B-). NBC's problem is their crew. I like Benny Parsons, Alan Bestwick is alright but I would prefer to have Buddy Baker as the color man instead of Wally Dallenbach. It just doesn't seem that NBC's crew developed the same chemistry as Fox's did through the season. It also seemed as if NBC went to commercials more during pitstops. This is where many positions are gained and lost. A big no-no!

Last edited by Joe Fan; 25 Nov 2001 at 17:29.
Old 25 Nov 2001, 23:13 (Ref:178834)   #10
Budmakesmewiser
Racer

Budmakesmewiser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fox was way better than TNT,or NBC,Fox has announcers that accually now something about RACIN.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 00:03 (Ref:178841)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Budmakesmewiser
Fox was way better than TNT,or NBC,Fox has announcers that accually now something about RACIN.
Woohooo!!!!! I know something about racing, so look for me in the booth soon
Old 26 Nov 2001, 03:18 (Ref:178874)   #12
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
Larry Mc sounds like Enos from the Dukes of Hazzard
I liked Enos.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Bob Jenkins, of course Ned's retired, but I think his son Glenn could stand in for Ned, or Buddy Baker, somebody needs to get Buddy back in the booth!
That was the guy I thinking of! Bob Jenkins... Thanks, Lee!

And of course, BP was NBC's only saving grace. As I said earlier, I think Bestwick is too plastic. Somebody really needs to tell him that greasy kid stuff known as "Brilcream" went out in the 60's. And of course, Wally Dallenback's real name is Wally Cleaver. Just ask the Beaver...

But it does makes sense to me to have former drivers up in the booth, and former crew chiefs in the pits.
Old 26 Nov 2001, 13:40 (Ref:178984)   #13
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
By the way, I don't think Ned Jarrett is quite retired from TV just yet. In fact, he's hosting "NASCAR Tech" on Speedvision at the moment, which is a Fox Sports show. (By "at the moment", I mean it's on right now, which is 5:35am PST.) He's been on Fox and Speedvision a few times lately. Who knows? He may be an announcer next year as well.

Last edited by Tim B; 26 Nov 2001 at 13:41.