Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1258658)   #1
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Missing Murray Walkers commentary?

It's.... the Murray Walker techno-dance-remix!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 09:38 (Ref:1258698)   #2
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can hardly wait for the James Allen techno-dance-remix.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 22 Mar 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1258714)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I had the pleasure to meet Murray on one occassion a few years ago back in 2001.
Great commentator, and one that is sorely missed by most of the F1 fans who listened to him.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1258736)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Simply The Best

Murray was passionate about motor racing. He was incedibly knowledgeable. He was also prone to slips of the tongue. I met him on several occasions and was struck by his depth of knowledge plus how up to date he was on formula he didn't commentate on that often. He was also only too pleased to advise someone on their first visit to a track and was such a nice man. I know it sounds bland but he was a true gentleman.

James Allen is neither passionate or knowledgeable and his cock-ups are due to his lack of professionalism. We need to be put out of our misery, sack him now!

There are far better commentators about so he would be very easy to replace.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1258765)   #5
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I entertained my wife by dancing to this!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1258773)   #6
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come back Murray He could make the most boring of race interesting I bet he's must gasp with horror how his replacement does his commentary
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1258775)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Awesome! Gotta love Murray - he is a legend! How come he was never made a Sir?!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1258777)   #8
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure he is an OBE, but he's done more than most to popularise Formula One and motor-racing in general around the world - seems deserving to me. Although you have to take into account he did work once as an advertiser!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1258799)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the unique things about Murray was that his commentary was honestly and genuinely from the viewpoint of a fan. He was an absolute professional, he knew the sport and the people in the sport inside out, but he never sounded in any way superior - he let his co-commentator add the intelligent bits designed to educate the viewer while he shared his enthusiasm and love for motorsport with his fellow fans.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1258804)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Although you have to take into account he did work once as an advertiser!
That's a bit like saying Bill Gates used to write a bit of software.

Commentating was only Murray's second job. He enjoyed a full career in advertising, rising to be a partner in one of London's top firms, and for many years until he retired managed to do that and follow the F1 circus around the world too!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1258809)   #11
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Thats fantastic! Thanks for that..who made it? you?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1258810)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I remember Murray on two particular occasions and both make me smile...

First was at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed where he was absolutely delighted to be able to slip away from his official duties long enough to stand marvelling at the Auto Unions parked on the lawn outside the Lord's house... he was in his element admiring it from all angles and loving the fact that people were happy to leave him to his own devices for just a few minutes.

Then I remember standing chatting to Al Hyde in the Donington pitlane when Murray walked over and introduced himself! How cool... as if we didn't know who he was! He stood talking to Al for ages and Al was loving it... tho eventually someone had to come down from the commentary box and break up the party as there was a race about to start and they were both kinda needed! A great example of his enthusiasm for the sport - and yes he is sadly missed! BRING MURRAY BACK! Let's start a petition!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1258813)   #13
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Murray wants to come back full time, but could he be persuaded to do a couple of races per year? say Silverstone, Monza and Monaco maybe?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1258815)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sadly ITV willnever let that happen in case people realise just how poor James Allen is in comparison... like they haven't already
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:06 (Ref:1258816)   #15
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Sadly ITV willnever let that happen in case people realise just how poor James Allen is in comparison... like they haven't already
They care about ratings..think of the added publicity and the returning viewers who have given up on Allen...
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1258820)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
But the decision makers seriously think there is no problem and we just need to get used to the change in style and we'll all grow to love Allen... muppets.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1258826)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
Thats fantastic! Thanks for that..who made it? you?
No, unfortunately I'm not that talented. I came across it a few years ago and just found it on the computer this morning.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1258856)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If this is the one I'm thinking it is (I have no audio here), it's very well put together!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1258860)   #19
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one that goes "David Coulthard pass..... THAT's HAKKINEN!!! Johnny Herbert... words fail me!!"? The Cuban Boys did that, it's great. I'll have to download it later.

There's so much to say about how good Murray's commentary was. He's always come across as a genuine enthusiast, whose knwoledge was high because he wanted it to be, not because it was his job. Sheer enthusiasm and charisma, coupled with a natural way with words, made him so good. The list of his gaffes makes rgeat reading because they've obviously only happened through over-excitement and a rush to get a point across - never did he seem to fail tyo understand what a word or concept meant, or jsut make expressions up to sound 'with it' the way James Allen does.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1258913)   #20
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Murray would ever come back...he wouldn't have stopped if his body hadn't told him to.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1258922)   #21
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmm I do miss Murray's commentary. I'll download that song later and I think I'll dig out some 1999 F1 races I recorded and listen to them...
Old 22 Mar 2005, 16:11 (Ref:1258960)   #22
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the 2001 British grand Prix on VCR the other day, I still think he still had it. better to go out at the top of your game I suppose.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1258993)   #23
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hilarious!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1259017)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That is now on my i-pod.....bloody great!

There are a lot of people who are saying WHAM!.....YES!...WHAM!YES!YES!
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1259081)   #25
Crashfishy
Rookie

United Kingdom
A puddle.
Crashfishy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
Yay! Finally, the track i need to finish off my collection! yay!