Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1458892)   #1
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 years ago today (12 Nov)

OK, this is probably a bit of a sob story and yes, I should get over it, but there are probably many like me, so I thought I would share.

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the last GP to be held on the Adelaide street circuit. Being a native of South Australia (the Australian State, for which Adelaide is the capital)and growing up in the 80's the Grand Prix years mean so much to me.

The thing is Adelaide has always had an image problem. To the rest of Australia (let alone the world), Adelaide was the sleepy city, where not much happens. But this doesn't mean that the city didn't have any vision. This vision came to fruition in 1985, with the 50th running of the Australian Grand Prix, the first to be run for Formula 1 world championship points.

This race was the idea of local identity Kym Bonythyn (SP?) (A former speedway promotor) and with the backing of the then Local John Bannon Labour government. Finally Adelaide had a signiture event that it could call its own (Relative to Australia anyway!).

For the next 10 years Adelaide showed Australia (and the rest of the world) that it could successfully stage such events. The good thing about this was the way the majority of the city embraced the event. Yes there were objectors, but not to the extent as was found in Melbourne (and still can be). This was helped by the fact that the Adelaide race was traditionally the last race of the year. It was party time in Adelaide and it appears that the whole city was jumping.

And what a golden era of racing it was as well. With names such as Lauda, Rosberg, Jones, Piquet, Prost, Mansell, Senna, Schumacher, Hill(Damon), Hakkinen, Berger, Alesi, (I could go on). And the cars. This was the period of the high horspower turbo cars. Never again will we see such as quest for power as we did during this time.

But now it is ten years on and F1 has probably out grown Adelaide. Like most other Adelaideians, we feel ripped off, with the underhanded way the race was lost, but thats just Bernie (and Ron Walker). ITs probably true, that F1 would have not lasted in Adelaide much longer, but at least it would have been better to have a fair fight.

Anyway, the Australian GP lives on. But that being said, the race in Melbourne is just not the same. It doesn't have the party feel that Adelaide had. To Melbourne, its just another event.

To Adelaide it was the event

Anyhow thanks for listening

Hoffy

Last edited by hoffy; 12 Nov 2005 at 13:55. Reason: sp
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1458894)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't believe it's 10 years ago. I know the move to Melbourne caused much contovery at the time and the Adelaide event is still missed by many.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1458900)   #3
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like me.

How many classic races do I remember from Adelaide....ahh the memories.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1458915)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Melbourne provided entertainment until the cars couldn't get close to each other. I doubt Adelaide would have lasted for long anyway because it wasn't the safest track in the world.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1458924)   #5
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unforgettable races down there!
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1458926)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Have to say, i loved the Adelaide event.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1458941)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a good place to end the season
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1458948)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice post, hoffy.

Adelaide is in the memories of any true F1 fan.

Personally, it links to night time party with people hanging around the pubs to watch the races... and I have some of them recorded. One that keeps in mind, in fact not properly a race, was '91 when it seemed that it rained all the storms of the year in one day ! Mansell doing 360º in front of the pits, Berger going straight before the corner and I think it was Montermini (????) crashing all alone in front of the crew due to aquaplanning. In the end, the race was stopped and Senna won, celebrating his third championship. And the unforgettable show by Tina Turner singing "You simply the best", and a shy Senna dancing in the stage... Good times then.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1458981)   #9
windsok
Rookie

Australia
wollongong.nsw.au
windsok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that when the current Melbourne contract runs out, Adelaide will be trying to win back the Grand Prix.

SA Premier Mike Rann met with Bernie in London back in May.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1458983)   #10
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mmm, if I remember well it was Martini crashing all alone in front of the crew due to aquaplanning, not sure.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1459000)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they could have replaced melbourne with adelaide for 2006 at least because of the commonwealth games in melbourne, this would be great for the v8 supercars for their 1st round.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1459032)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312T4
mmm, if I remember well it was Martini crashing all alone in front of the crew due to aquaplanning, not sure.
That's right he was Martini, it was a little doubt there !
Old 12 Nov 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1459034)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide had a better and more demanding circuit. The whole atmosphere was better as well. Adelaide provided some good races, like the thrillers of 1986 and 1994. The 1991 Australian Grand Prix was the shortest ever in Formula 1 history and the last race in 1995 was memorable as well.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1459042)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not the biggets fan of the Melbourne layout but to be fair it does host well can offer exciting races, and usually is when it is (was) the first race of the season.
Adelaide is one of my favorite circuits, a great atmosphere, and deserve a big open wheel race. A little off-topic but does anyone in the know, know if it would be a possible event to hold a Grand Prix masters event?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1459073)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
This makes me want to haul out the 1991 race programme once more.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1459087)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 1989 race wasn't bad either. Senna drove brilliantly until he smacked the back of Brundle!

Melbourne has been dull for the last 2 years and will be until the issue regarding overtaking is sorted out. The 2003 race, for example, was excellent. It's a shame the track isn't particularly challenging, but it should definitely stay on the calendar.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1459090)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
they could have replaced melbourne with adelaide for 2006 at least because of the commonwealth games in melbourne, this would be great for the v8 supercars for their 1st round.
They wouldn't have used a circuit like Adelaide as a one off imo.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1459196)   #18
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
===
They wouldn't have used a circuit like Adelaide as a one off imo.
===

But F1 are too fussy and stupid about things. Like pit wall catch fencing - WHY? Adelaide runs without the Clipsal 500 without pit wall catch fencing because it's ugly and totally un-necessary as the teams in the pits have not so much insurance requirement as the spectators.

A track like Adelaide, or even shorter and twistier, is still more than good enough for IRL and Champcar which are only 5 seconds a lap slower. FOM is daft and stupid about these issues, there is nothing wrong with a good classic concrete lined street race.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1459245)   #19
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see IRL at adelaide
Old 13 Nov 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1459261)   #20
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great thread!

It was with a tinge on sadness that I drove along Fullarton Road yesterday on my way to a uni exam knowing what the second weekend in November used to mean. I looked to my left to see the relatively deserted infield of Victoria Park to see a solitary horse taking a cross country jump. This date belongs to International Horse Trials now…

I too, like Hoffy, have many vivid, positive memories from the GP. I grew up in and around the event thanks to members of my family being involved in its organisation. I think that it’s the noise that I miss. Being able to stand outside my house in anticipation of getting trackside and being able to hear in the distance the differing pitches of V10’s and 12’s. Brilliant stuff. The Clipsal 500 just isn’t the same.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 00:54 (Ref:1459282)   #21
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with all of you guys! I love Adelaide street circuit. I used to love scorting round there on GP2.

The circuit has a really nice flow to it and I doubt it is unsafe. Look at Albert Park or Monaco (Just a show not a race).

Go on Adelaide!
Old 13 Nov 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1459345)   #22
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your replies. At least I am not the only one who misses Adelaide.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1459392)   #23
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current circuit is too short for F1

The original circuit is too dangerous for F1 (hakkinens crash in 1995 was an example)

There is no doubt that it was a great circuit but Formula 1 has moved away from street/city circuits over the last 20 years in favor of parkland circuits (which provide more run off).

The only way i think Adelaide would ever get the Aus Gp back would be if Tilke or some other modern F1 track designer was brought in to create a city/parkland circuit that provided enough run off to satisfy the current requirements.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1459618)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
The 1989 race wasn't bad either. Senna drove brilliantly until he smacked the back of Brundle!
Nakajima..
Old 13 Nov 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1459632)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
The original circuit is too dangerous for F1 (hakkinens crash in 1995 was an example)

There is no doubt that it was a great circuit but Formula 1 has moved away from street/city circuits over the last 20 years in favor of parkland circuits (which provide more run off).

The only way i think Adelaide would ever get the Aus Gp back would be if Tilke or some other modern F1 track designer was brought in to create a city/parkland circuit that provided enough run off to satisfy the current requirements.
That's when I think that F1 has reached its edge around Safety X Good racing X Speed. Most circuits don't reach the 3 aspects without prejudicing the one or another.