Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Mar 2016, 05:20 (Ref:3619178)   #76
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's misleading because the previous Mazda's (diesels) weren't even competitive. They may have more laps, but they were running at or near the back of the class. The "funded by amateurs" isn't unique either. What about shank?
Old 2 Mar 2016, 06:05 (Ref:3619182)   #77
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mazda's press releases seem to claim that it is a new motor based in some way on the block Dyson used ... which was actually not too terrible in its last incarnation (sufficiently stiffened.) But according to my understanding of Mazda's literature,. it is a whole new engine. Mazda claims 285 bhp/liter, which should be enough to be competitive in WSCC.

it's true, the Mazda's didn't last this year ... but they led, and not on strategy (staying out a lap longer) but on pace.

Look at their performance during the Roar: In the six practice sessions in which the two cars ran, they finished second twice, third once, and fourth twice, setting the third and fifth fastest laps of the three-day test.

Sure, that was just the Roar, but the car ran top-three and top-five during the race for most of the time they were out there.

As TF110 notes, up until the Roar it was a major victory if the Mazdas ran ahead of GTD and finished two-thirds of a race. Now the car is competitive in class. That's a pretty huge stride right there.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3619311)   #78
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's misleading because the previous Mazda's (diesels) weren't even competitive. They may have more laps, but they were running at or near the back of the class.
Hmm, that's interesting. So we should compare apples to apples but only if both are fresh, not when one of them is showing a few age spots. Great, let's all go with subjective objectivity then...

Quote:
The "funded by amateurs" isn't unique either. What about shank?
Shank is not a manufacturer.

It proves Mazda's low-budget, half-hearted effort at a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

As TF110 notes, up until the Roar it was a major victory if the Mazdas ran ahead of GTD and finished two-thirds of a race. Now the car is competitive in class. That's a pretty huge stride right there.
so going from "slow-but-steady" to "fast-and-fragile" is now a huge stride? Seems the Mazdas are now in the same league as the D-Wing: good speed (on occasion) but poor reliability. Not a factor in the outcome of the race (let alone the championship).

I sincerely hope they'll up things for their future DPi campaign and become more than grid fillers.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:06 (Ref:3619350)   #79
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If you have nothing to add but negativity, why even waste time posting? I never saw anyone say there had to be a like for like comparison. The original post speaking of Mazda's efforts wasn't giving a strict comparison on how many laps it did vs the diesel. It was when Chiana decided to chime in on lap totals. Looks to me like that is an attempt to shoot down any positive to take away from this since they dnf'ed earlier than last year.

I say we should compare Mazda's first diesel race to this year's Daytona and see if there's no improvement. Speed, reliability etc.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3619354)   #80
JoestEver
Rookie

JoestEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. So we should compare apples to apples but only if both are fresh, not when one of them is showing a few age spots. Great, let's all go with subjective objectivity then...

Shank is not a manufacturer.

It proves Mazda's low-budget, half-hearted effort at a higher level.

so going from "slow-but-steady" to "fast-and-fragile" is now a huge stride? Seems the Mazdas are now in the same league as the D-Wing: good speed (on occasion) but poor reliability. Not a factor in the outcome of the race (let alone the championship).

I sincerely hope they'll up things for their future DPi campaign and become more than grid fillers.
Well it's always easier to make a fast car reliable than making a reliable car fast. I would say it's good that they manage to get enough performance this year, regardless of whether it's a new block.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:48 (Ref:3619367)   #81
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
If you have nothing to add but negativity, why even waste time posting? I never saw anyone say there had to be a like for like comparison. The original post speaking of Mazda's efforts wasn't giving a strict comparison on how many laps it did vs the diesel. It was when Chiana decided to chime in on lap totals. Looks to me like that is an attempt to shoot down any positive to take away from this since they dnf'ed earlier than last year.

I say we should compare Mazda's first diesel race to this year's Daytona and see if there's no improvement. Speed, reliability etc.
That's pretty much his/hers entire MO on this board, in every topic he/she participates in.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 02:04 (Ref:3619464)   #82
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I often find Chiana's posts a fresh air among many pink-glassed comments. His realisme is often mistaken for negativity. If you don't like his comments then ignore them/him.

To each his own preference.

Sebring is the ultimate test for reliability so we'll see how Mazda does.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 12:00 (Ref:3619522)   #83
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm certainly looking forward to talking about this actual event and not a certain manufacturer that seems to be very polarizing, for some reason.

June is for LeMans but the Ides of March belong to my favorite endurance race of them all. Wish I was gearing up for it but I'll certainly enjoy viewing from the comforts of home.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 14:27 (Ref:3619550)   #84
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestEver View Post
Well it's always easier to make a fast car reliable than making a reliable car fast.
This ... sort of (The Diesel was neither fast nor reliable ...) To me, when a car debuts a brand-new motor and moves up the grid a dozen places from half-a-minute off pace to competing for the class lead ....

Admittedly, the Mazda didn't finish its First race, a measly 24-hour outing. And even during the Roar, they had some issues.

Wait, did I mention it was a new engine in its first race? For sure, let's crap on it ... and as for Ford, let's fire every person on the team ... those lame Chip Ganassi people obviously have never learned to race, right? After all, the Ford GT has performed pretty miserably at every outing.

Oh, wait ... that's okay because it's a new chassis (albeit with a proven engine) just going through its first real development phase. Totally different from a brand-new engine in an old chassis.

Anyway ... I like seeing the Mazda performing better, which it surely is. Whether it ever does really well this season, and what form it takes next season ... well, that's why they actually race, right?

Also ... Even if Mazda pulled out of Sebring tomorrow, I would still be going and would still expect it to be a very good race ... In fact, I am and I do. So ... I Win.

Best part is, forum posting is not a zero-sum game. Nobody loses .... well, nobody Has to.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 15:15 (Ref:3619560)   #85
Coach Ep
Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I very much applaud Mazda for their very deep involvement in US motorsport, there's no other manufacturer (not even Porsche) so active, especially on a lower Pro and Club level. Without Mazda the car racing landscape would look very, very different - and you would have to look very hard to see in the first place!

Looking forward to the 12H as well - it's gonna be a great event!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3619584)   #86
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'm certainly looking forward to talking about this actual event and not a certain manufacturer that seems to be very polarizing, for some reason.
Yeah let's move on from Mazda...What's Nissan up to these days
Old 3 Mar 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3619616)   #87
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
@coach ep: You're way off saying Mazda went from slow and steady to fast and fragile. They went from slow and fragile to fast and fragile. That's a big improvement. And puts them in contention in the spring races for sure, and an outside shot at endurance races. They're a legitimate program this year rather than a joke like they've been the last two years.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3619652)   #88
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"The Rock The Grid™ concert will be a game changer for IMSA and our existing fans, and the most significant effort yet in our mission to attract new fans to our sport," said IMSA President Scott Atherton. "This represents an outstanding opportunity to entertain our many existing Sebring guests and introduce our sport to a broad range of new fans. We are grateful to Jim Jonsin for presenting us with this tremendous opportunity and for providing A-list talent through Rebel Rock. We expect the 93.3 FLZ Spring Brake Party Zone - already a popular location - to be an extremely busy place on Friday night at Sebring."
Man, that guy sure loves that term. I think that's like the 1 millionth time I've heard him refer to something as such. I bet if Sebring got a few more port-Johns he'd refer to it as a game changer as well!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3619689)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Man, that guy sure loves that term. I think that's like the 1 millionth time I've heard him refer to something as such. I bet if Sebring got a few more port-Johns he'd refer to it as a game changer as well!
I just learned who B.o.B. is from that email. Atlanta based. Who knew?

A note about Sebring and Port-a-lits.

There was a tent less than 15 yards away from this "post race burn". We were close enough where we should of heard the commotion, but we were out!
Old 3 Mar 2016, 23:50 (Ref:3619706)   #90
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I just learned who B.o.B. is from that email. Atlanta based. Who knew?

A note about Sebring and Port-a-lits.

There was a tent less than 15 yards away from this "post race burn". We were close enough where we should of heard the commotion, but we were out!
Looks like your photo didn't work. But, was it from 2014? Because I was there and saw the two porta potties that were torched near the bridge entering green park. Then the same guy torched some right at the hairpin. It was kinda funny but not really, could have made for a very bad scene. I'm sure those things aren't cheap either!
Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:11 (Ref:3619715)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Looks like your photo didn't work. But, was it from 2014? Because I was there and saw the two porta potties that were torched near the bridge entering green park. Then the same guy torched some right at the hairpin. It was kinda funny but not really, could have made for a very bad scene. I'm sure those things aren't cheap either!
Google images are annoying me here recently. Take 2 and yes! That was the year and those were the Johns. I am sure that smelled fantastic and put out some interesting colors of flames. But agreed: cool and not cool.

Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3619722)   #92
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Google images are annoying me here recently. Take 2 and yes! That was the year and those were the Johns. I am sure that smelled fantastic and put out some interesting colors of flames. But agreed: cool and not cool.
We were 50 feet away and somehow I saw or heard nothing. I'm not sure what it takes to torch two dumpers, but I would've like to have seen it.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3619729)   #93
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Look at their performance during the Roar: In the six practice sessions in which the two cars ran, they finished second twice, third once, and fourth twice, setting the third and fifth fastest laps of the three-day test.

Sure, that was just the Roar, but the car ran top-three and top-five during the race for most of the time they were out there.

Progress.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3619901)   #94
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
We were 50 feet away and somehow I saw or heard nothing. I'm not sure what it takes to torch two dumpers, but I would've like to have seen it.
I've done it (not at sebring), can't remember the exact method, but lighter fluid and a toilet paper fuse may have been involved. A bottle of stove fuel works too.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3619903)   #95
Coach Ep
Veteran

with that type of activity in mind it's no wonder SIR is looking to attract a new audience...

It's one thing to set your own coach (no pun intended haha!) you brought on fire but other one's property? Might as well set the bloke's car on fire and see if he likes it as much.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3619922)   #96
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
with that type of activity in mind it's no wonder SIR is looking to attract a new audience...

It's one thing to set your own coach (no pun intended haha!) you brought on fire but other one's property? Might as well set the bloke's car on fire and see if he likes it as much.
I've had some cars I've wanted to set on fire, but that is another story!

Interested to see how the concert will be received this year. I won't be attending Sebring, but if its a success will they do it again, or maybe even add concerts to Petit and Daytona?

edit: will people who are fans of the artists actually be race fans also? or are they expecting people to come for the concert and stick around for the racing the next day?
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3619934)   #97
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have no idea why they try this stupid s**t. Wouldn't be OK to just have race fans...and Green Park?
Old 4 Mar 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3619935)   #98
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
...because they want to make money?

It is a business, afterall.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3619940)   #99
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
OK, I'll let you know how many B.o.B. fans there are at SIR. Stay tuned.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3619943)   #100
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
OK, I'll let you know how many B.o.B. fans there are at SIR. Stay tuned.
It depends really...probably more than what we think. I'll be honest, I don't care.

I'd prefer they go with a more european style event such as a club/rave scene, techno..but.. it is central florida. It probably wouldn't work the same way hip-hop and country do.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”