Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Sep 2020, 19:19 (Ref:4001001)   #126
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I think one of the reasons Tony can offer the seats at lower cost than others is the number of bodies per car ratio is lower than some teams. There is a balancing act, and clearly #HARD are able to attract drivers - so to my mind the business model is sound.
Of course currently, with teams allowed fewer personnel, HARD should be at an advantage, being used to it.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4001040)   #127
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the limit makes no difference. The BTCC has never been that big on personal numbers. HARD are up against enough as it is
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:18 (Ref:4001247)   #128
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Probably should've posted this here actually:

https://www.team-hard.com/team-hard-...-championship/
Interesting to hear Gilham this week. Initially they wanted to go with the Golf Mk.8 and keep their VW link, but the Golf is too short.
So the Cupra was the next best option.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 08:32 (Ref:4001618)   #129
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Interesting to hear Gilham this week. Initially they wanted to go with the Golf Mk.8 and keep their VW link, but the Golf is too short.
Could they not have gone with the Passat?
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:24 (Ref:4001625)   #130
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Probably could have, guessing they wanted something more Focus/Corolla sized than CC sized
Old 11 Sep 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4001626)   #131
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
He said they felt that the shortest length possible is the ideal size for a FWD entry.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 20:45 (Ref:4001966)   #132
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I find the above interesting. The Golf and Leon are basically the same car, so I'm guessing we're talking a few millimetres between the two, i.e. differences in bumper mouldings, being the reason the Golf is too short and Leon is OK.

I do think TG moving from the big CC to the shorter car is entirely the right move.
Old 12 Sep 2020, 22:07 (Ref:4001995)   #133
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I find the above interesting. The Golf and Leon are basically the same car, so I'm guessing we're talking a few millimetres between the two, i.e. differences in bumper mouldings, being the reason the Golf is too short and Leon is OK.

I do think TG moving from the big CC to the shorter car is entirely the right move.
Golf is 4284mm (16mm too short according to TG).
Leon is 4368mm.

The Leon also has a wheelbase that is 68mm longer.
Old 13 Sep 2020, 00:34 (Ref:4002036)   #134
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nowadays the architecture of the platforms means that sister vehicles can easily have different wheelbases and track widths. So while the Golf and Leon are related it isn’t just the body that changes the proportions. Crudely expressed you are able to move the corners to be nearer or further apart. Obviously they are vaguely in the same segments, if there is such a thing nowadays, so they end up approximately similar.

However the style and character are more than just the size so the brands end up quite different. Constrained by the rules and regs of the road.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 16:21 (Ref:4002817)   #135
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first 2 Cupras have arrived at Team HARD, the first one is stripped already:

https://www.facebook.com/59847016354...0375175022912/
Old 16 Sep 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4002822)   #136
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The first 2 Cupras have arrived at Team HARD, the first one is stripped already:
I know it ultimately doesn't make that much difference but something not right about seeing them striping a road car rather than starting with a bare shell
Old 16 Sep 2020, 17:12 (Ref:4002825)   #137
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And they have a third on the way, so either they'll run 3 of them (+ Boardley?) or have a spare.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 17:14 (Ref:4002826)   #138
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I know it ultimately doesn't make that much difference but something not right about seeing them striping a road car rather than starting with a bare shell
Isn't a base Seat Leon with a Cupra badge stuck on? So they're really SEATs not Cupras!
Old 16 Sep 2020, 17:33 (Ref:4002830)   #139
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
You'd have thought they would have got a few ex-rental base spec cars, rather than blowing the best part of £90k on Cupras. I'm sure they'll be ebaying the parts soon enough.

Got to love the naivety of the fans who are surprised that Seat have "sent a full car over" etc.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 17:45 (Ref:4002834)   #140
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
You'd have thought they would have got a few ex-rental base spec cars, rather than blowing the best part of £90k on Cupras.
New cars will come with a 3yr/60k mile warranty

Compare and contrast with Motorbase earlier this year who posted pictures of the team truck parked outside the factory collecting bare shells
Old 16 Sep 2020, 19:51 (Ref:4002860)   #141
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Isn't a base Seat Leon with a Cupra badge stuck on? So they're really SEATs not Cupras!
It certainly look the case, though i don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things
Old 16 Sep 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4002877)   #142
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Is it really that much different from Motorbase or Dynamics calling their cars STs or Type Rs? I'm well aware that Cupra is a separate brand to Seat but its the same principle.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 21:21 (Ref:4002882)   #143
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRustyNail View Post
It certainly look the case, though i don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things
Nah it doesn't matter, but interesting to note.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 21:38 (Ref:4002886)   #144
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/59847016354...0375175022912/
So we know from those pics that they are getting zero support from Cupra. If they were, they would have had bare shells direct from the factory like motorbike did with the fords.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 21:39 (Ref:4002887)   #145
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
You'd have thought they would have got a few ex-rental base spec cars, rather than blowing the best part of £90k on Cupras. I'm sure they'll be ebaying the parts soon enough.

Got to love the naivety of the fans who are surprised that Seat have "sent a full car over" etc.
Team Dynamics first NGTC Civics were full road cars until the factory were able to supply them with bare production shells.

Prodrive's Rally Subaru's were complete road cars as it was easier to send full cars in containers. Also the Ferrari 550 GT1 cars were also made from used road cars which were stripped before being made in to race cars...
Old 16 Sep 2020, 22:16 (Ref:4002890)   #146
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
So we know from those pics that they are getting zero support from Cupra. If they were, they would have had bare shells direct from the factory like motorbike did with the fords.
The original press release said it was an independent entry.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 22:39 (Ref:4002893)   #147
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The original press release said it was an independent entry.
So is the motorbase entry ;-) But didn't stop Barty doing a deal to "buy" some shells
Old 16 Sep 2020, 23:16 (Ref:4002895)   #148
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If only Ford did support Motorbase. I think it would have been an excellent tie up, especially after all the work Motorbase did
Old 17 Sep 2020, 07:08 (Ref:4002930)   #149
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new shape Leon has only been in the UK for a month or 2 - so Hard will have had no choice but to buy new cars. As the factory would still be in launch, I doubt they would entertain some small race team from England buying some mostly full shells.

Remember, the teams don't want just a shell - they want it complete with glass, seals, motors, etc - which isn't easy for an OEM to actually supply.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 07:16 (Ref:4002931)   #150
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Team Dynamics first NGTC Civics were full road cars until the factory were able to supply them with bare production shells.
The first Dynamics Civic started life as one of Honda's prototype cars, as that was the only thing available at the time.