Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:32 (Ref:182644)   #1
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Foggy at Proton?

AutoDistress reports this week that Foggy may have a chance to drive in the BTCC next year due to the involvement of his SB team through Petronas, which shares a factory with the BTC team.

That would be interesting don't you think?
Old 5 Dec 2001, 18:59 (Ref:182669)   #2
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doubt it,he mostly be mangering the s.b team,he probley wont accept the low wages compered to superbike money
Old 6 Dec 2001, 12:55 (Ref:182902)   #3
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can imagine that touring cars would seem very tame (perhaps even boring) after Super Bikes. Also Foggy races to win, not make up the numbers, so unless it's a sponsors requirement I can't see it happening.
Old 15 Dec 2001, 18:51 (Ref:186258)   #4
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone heard anything else about this rumour yet??? Is it happening?
Old 16 Dec 2001, 02:06 (Ref:186387)   #5
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
I can imagine that touring cars would seem very tame (perhaps even boring) after Super Bikes. Also Foggy races to win, not make up the numbers, so unless it's a sponsors requirement I can't see it happening.
eh? don't you remember aaron slight this year???? he was a superbike racer and loved racing in the BTCC because it offered him a new challenge. I'm sure foggy would jump at the chance to race properly again as now his injury limits him to testing bikes.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 11:55 (Ref:186471)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If it came off it would certainly bring a whole new bunch of spectators to the BTCC, rather in the way a Mansell return would!
Old 16 Dec 2001, 17:58 (Ref:186563)   #7
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep sure would boost the crowd size, which is what BMP want, and give Proton some good publicity.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 20:47 (Ref:186632)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, can see a name change for the series coming on....

British Touring Celebrity Challenge...' next race will see Frank Bruno & 'our' Henry Cooper go head to head in Pug 306's and don't miss the Ford Focus challenge with Gary Lineker and David Seamen....'

Give me a break please......

'Round 14 will include star 'celebrities' from Ready Steady Cook & This Morning......come on guys this is supposed to be Britain's premier championship not celebrity 'Its a Knockout'......'

Wake me up when somebody is planning a 'proper' championship.
Old 16 Dec 2001, 20:56 (Ref:186637)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
ST don't lose sight of the fact that ALL motor racing is a form of entertainment. As such it is the duty of the promoters to 'entertain' and if that means having celebrities in some of the cars then so be it. Don't forget that in the past we have seen several celebrities in racing cars, some with a greater amount of success than others. At various times we have seen numerous DJ's, Boxers, Athletes, Comedians, Rock Stars all enjoying their motor racing. As long as the racing is good, who are we to pass judgement?
Old 16 Dec 2001, 21:04 (Ref:186642)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stephen - I take your point - but I feel the championship has sufficiently dug itself out of the hole - to enable it to stand on its own two feet. I hate this whole celebrity thing- there are plenty of good drivers around to make BTCC racing entertaining - without wheeling out another retired 'sports star' to polish their ego - while it suits them.IMHO!
Old 16 Dec 2001, 21:53 (Ref:186653)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree ST, but I believe that as Foggy and Slight were both in motorsport, they are less of a celebrity. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that they are as far as celebrity drivers need to go.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 08:52 (Ref:186810)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
One other point worth making here is that grid sizes have been pretty poor of late, especially in the ST section, so the more cars on the grid the better. If grids were of such magnitude that really good drivers were prevented from a drive, then I would agree with your comments. Until then, lets get as many cars on the track as possible!
Old 17 Dec 2001, 09:30 (Ref:186826)   #13
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14

eh? don't you remember aaron slight this year???? he was a superbike racer and loved racing in the BTCC because it offered him a new challenge. I'm sure foggy would jump at the chance to race properly again as now his injury limits him to testing bikes.
No disrespect to Aaron Slight, but I think to Foggy motivation and winning are EVEN more closely linked. Personally I would like to see Foggy racing & as Aaron in BTCC and Troy Corser in a GT race at the end of the season have shown, bikers can be quick on 4 wheels too. Mind you apparently Colin McRae wasn't too slow on a SuperBike around Brands this year either.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 14:34 (Ref:186899)   #14
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if a btcc driver was in a one off(example)football or tennis macth,i would wacth these sports which i find boring n probley enjoy it more.(a good reason why most people stopped wacthing driven)