Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:15 (Ref:631981)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
End of the Viper

Whats the betting a viper will not compete again at LM (current version anyway).

With the Prodrive cars, Vettes, S7Rs (with restrctions dropped for next year), Masarati, 575M, Merc SLR, Zonda and the rest the Viper seems to have finally had its day.

Last edited by JAG; 15 Jun 2003 at 15:16.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:22 (Ref:631984)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yuor rigth the cyrrent Viper has been out clssed- of course the new one is going to make it ugly, after all what reliabilty- the other guys were alway in question
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:37 (Ref:631997)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Indeed, Viper time is over.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:55 (Ref:632013)   #4
ViperACR
Rookie

ViperACR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you mean the Viper is done. The LeSarbe Viper competed very well as it was only 10 laps back of the Corvettes and 20 laps back of the Ferrari. These are cars that have the full factory support behind them. The LeSarbre team had to withdraw from FIA GT, which it had won the past 2 years due to lack of funds. Here is a tem with no money that gave the guys with the big bucks a real run. If they would ever take the restrictors off the Viper then watch out
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:59 (Ref:632018)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But the Vipers been outclassed in FIA GT in last 2 seasons, but won on consitency against newer, less reliable cars.

With the new Masarati, SLR, Lambo, S7R (post restrictions), Lola etc. the time for the Viper is coming to an end.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:11 (Ref:632037)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Saleen S7R's had the restrictors it had last year removed (a 10% air restrictor and 15kg of ballast). Because they had met the homlogation requirements.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:20 (Ref:632043)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
I thought the Saleen S7R's had the restrictors it had last year removed (a 10% air restrictor and 15kg of ballast). Because they had met the homlogation requirements.
Not yet anyway.

Should be by end of year (PLM).

The cars as quick as the Prodrive 550 unrestricted.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:54 (Ref:632065)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not with the current teams running them Im afraid I dont think they are as fast. No disrespect to GNM or Konrad but they have nowhere near the require driver line up that is needed to challenge the factory cars. Okay yeah sure Gunon in FIA GT could do it over 1 or 2 stints but Konrad and Seiler woudnt be good enough, and Gunon wasnt even racing for Konrad at Le Mans! He was in a courage. The Konrad, Seiler, Brun line-up was very poor I thought. Okay the GNM car of Erdos, Newton and Chaves was slightly better but none of them are real stars, but Erdos is very good. I just now hope a top line team will run the Saleen's, with a top driving line up. Ie the factory Saleen Speedlab team, or a RML entry, with a top class line up.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 18:05 (Ref:632104)   #9
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The S7R is also hurting for development purposes. While probably the best design for a race car, they don't have the budget to match any works teams. Also, I'm not sure that Mr. Saleen has the engineering expertise to match Chevy-P&M, and Prodrive. With the restrictions lifted, however, I beleive we could see more S7R wins, but not at Le Mans.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 15 Jun 2003, 19:09 (Ref:632156)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ViperACR
If they would ever take the restrictors off the Viper then
...it wouldn't be fair.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:09 (Ref:632226)   #11
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of curiosity, what restrictors are we talking about?

and as far as the competition goes, the vette won the same way last year: not on pace, but waiting until the horse broke. the Viper has had the near perfect balance of pace/reliability for 6 years now, and finally the rest of the world is starting to pass them. but i still feel that if dodge put exactly half of the budget into the Viper (yes, the current one) programme that GM or Prodrive did into their respective programmes, the Viper would still be winning. at any rate, i was glad to see the vettes lose. great job prodrive, and great job to all who finished. the Viper will be back soon enough, and will retake it's proper place i believe...we'll just have to see what the beancounters say

pit
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:16 (Ref:632235)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pitviper
out of curiosity, what restrictors are we talking about?

and as far as the competition goes, the vette won the same way last year: not on pace, but waiting until the horse broke. the Viper has had the near perfect balance of pace/reliability for 6 years now, and finally the rest of the world is starting to pass them. but i still feel that if dodge put exactly half of the budget into the Viper (yes, the current one) programme that GM or Prodrive did into their respective programmes, the Viper would still be winning. at any rate, i was glad to see the vettes lose. great job prodrive, and great job to all who finished. the Viper will be back soon enough, and will retake it's proper place i believe...we'll just have to see what the beancounters say

pit
Trying to explain that each class has engine restrictors so that each class car produces roughly the same power, hence the Vipers 8l V10 is not as big an advantage as if the engines were unrestriced.

However if engines were unrestricted the big capacity atmos would eventually be forced out by ever more powerful turbos as in Group C and to a lesser degree IMSA GTP
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:30 (Ref:632253)   #13
pitviper
Racer

very true...i think the current formula works fine, though i do wish that the GTS cars would be allowed to run at 900 kg.

pit
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:34 (Ref:632260)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by pitviper
very true...i think the current formula works fine, though i do wish that the GTS cars would be allowed to run at 900 kg.

pit
I would like to see GTS cars run at 950/1000KG (900KG prob bit of a streach for most road cars).

We would then have cars like the original road going GT1 cars such as the F1 GTR, F40, Esprit V8 GT1 but with tighter homologation to stop the escalation in costs/new cars thaty happened in GT1.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:39 (Ref:632276)   #15
pitviper
Racer

exactly. i think that the GTS class is headed for a very strong age in racing, one that if done right, could sustain itself for quite a long time...

pit
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:38 (Ref:632395)   #16
ViperACR
Rookie

The Prodrive Ferrari may not be sponsored by the Factory but they have full factory support. The Corvettes are sponsored by the factory and have full factory support. The Viper has no factory support in any way.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 22:41 (Ref:632398)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
The Prodrive Ferrari may not be sponsored by the Factory but they have full factory support. The Corvettes are sponsored by the factory and have full factory support. The Viper has no factory support in any way.
Prodrive support, not Ferrari support.

Vipers a great car thats had its time.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 04:09 (Ref:633726)   #18
ViperACR
Rookie

jag I do not see that the Vipers would be afraid of the other cars like the Saleens. What car ended up ahead of the saleens. The Zonda car is also not something that will be much of a factor. They are also not very reliable. Maserati has not raced for a long time. No one knows what to expect and I do not believe that Ferrari who owns Maserati will allow a Maserati to beat a Ferrari. That will never happen.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 04:14 (Ref:633727)   #19
ViperACR
Rookie

If I was able to choose I would take a bigger engine for endurance racing over a smaller engine. An engine that is a higher revving ha a lot of wear and strain put on it. That is why the Vipers are not done as you say JAG. The Predrive ferrari had one car out of 3 that did not brake down. Do it again and i will take a Viper or Chevy nine times out of ten in an endurance race.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 04:15 (Ref:633728)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The S7R _did_ show up the Corvette in it's first year of competition. That was before the restrictors. If Steve gets some more cars on the road, it'll be competitive again, and Franz Konrad will be beating good drivers off with a stick.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 04:25 (Ref:633732)   #21
ViperACR
Rookie

I like the Saleens over the Ferraris and the Chevys. I also believe that they would do well against the Ferraris. I like the engine configuration of the 427. That size of engine has always done well. It is a high revving engine. In drag racing it easily gets to 10,000RPM. I believe that the Saleens have not gotten treated fairly yet. But we will see soon enough
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:40 (Ref:634049)   #22
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like the Saleens over the Ferraris and the Chevys.
i never quite got over the fact that the Saleens ruined British GT last year, it'l take something spectacular to erase that memory, i love the Prodrive Ferrari 550s, they look so good, especially as it echos the shadow of the 250 GTO but still looks modern at the same time.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:57 (Ref:634178)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
It wasnt the GNM Saleens fault if they were far above the level of competition in the British GT. They ran with the same restrictors as everyone else, and even when they still continued to trounce the likes of the Lister and TVR with bigger restrictors (allowing less power for the Saleen) they still trounced everyone. U cant blame the GNM boys for doing their best to win, if anything it was the compeitions fault for not doing a better job to beat them, after all the Listers in FIA GT can beat the GNM Saleens. If Laurence Pearce invested more money in the Lister in British GT maybe they would have been able to beat the GNM Saleen's.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:55 (Ref:634995)   #24
Garp
Racer

Garp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viper at LeMans is over, in the current state of developement, it's built for the FIA-GT. In the FIA-GT it can win some more races but the weight distribution can never be as well made as in the ferrari or Lister. The engine is to heavy with the gearbox at the wrong side!

Maybe a Viper built specially for ACO regulations will make a LeMans winner. Still it's not worth the money, Put your developement money in a bigblock rear engined car, like the Lambo. This will pay of better than a new factory Viper.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 23:12 (Ref:635008)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I agree that front engined cars are becoming less and less frequent in terms of being produced, but then the Ferrari 550's and Ferrari 575's and Corvette C5R's and Lister Storms are all front engined and are currently dominating the GTS/GT class.

Having said that, from 2004 and beyond I see the future being mid engined cars only..