Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Aug 2004, 06:21 (Ref:1054691)   #1
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Walsh - August 14/15th

Well its that time of year when Shelsley gets all glamourous for its August meeting. This year they have the big screen in the paddock again (such a good feature) and a line up of historic Lotus's from a Mk6 to an Ex Mansell 87B.

There is something like 28 cars in the over 2000cc class and I wouldn't put it past Adam Fleetwood to get into the 23s!! Graeme Wight Jnr has his new car entered but I don't know if its ready yet! It would be great if it was!

I see Mr Lister Noble (who frequents Ten Tenths now and again) is entered in his Ginetta!

Hope to see you there and catch up with you marshalls for a beer this time!

Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1063221)   #2
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Shelsley will be "glamorous" again in time for the weekend.
The weekends storms and foul weather took their toll on the trees in the spectators enclosure at Crossing and sent 2 huge limbs crashing down. The tree surgeons are at work clearing the debris and other hanging branches in readiness as I write.

A great entry so prayer mats out for good weather everyone.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1063292)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any chance of them clearing some of the rapidly growing trees down the hill. These saplings are starting to get quite big, and you can no longer see Kennels from Bottom Ess, nor, I suspect, from the spectator area on the exit?

Anyway, there will be a strong 10-10ths force marshalling (several of us camping over - expect to see me, b1ackcr0w, blackx, crazystu, gizmo, and pike at the very least). Drop by the farmyard Saturday night to say hi, or on the campsite Friday or Saturday - there should be an area marked up for marshals camping, so just listen for the sound of cans being opened!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 07:48 (Ref:1063634)   #4
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been asked to take my Lotus 17 along and up the hill. Never done a hill climb before, let alone Shelsey. Will need to tape track map to dash and hope all you marshal type guys helpfully point me in the right direction.....
Old 12 Aug 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1063788)   #5
james_williams
Racer

Peter,

You will love it. As a taster take a look at this video of Ken Simms in his 6R4. Very different to your car I know but will give you an idea of whats in store.

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/Projects_Page.html

See you marshals there. I'll be waving on my way down the hill.

J
Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1064043)   #6
Mrs BlackX
Racer

Mrs BlackX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
(several of us camping over - expect to see me, b1ackcr0w, blackx, crazystu, gizmo, and pike at the very least).
I can confirm that we will be there.... Gizmo however, has elected to go to Silverstone...

Shireen
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:38 (Ref:1064190)   #7
sawbench
Rookie

sawbench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello again all

been working overseas - bit of a treat for me, and then the computer at home didn't work so not seen things for a while. Grabbed a quick look at the Top twelve website to keep abreast, but at sister in law's house so not able to sit and 'chat'.

Yes - be at Shelsley this weekend. I shall go to my favourite place just by the trap and watch from there. staying a the 100 House Satrday night so may see some people there??

Adam F the champion, but I read in the magazine today that he may not continue next year? been there done that really. What do others think?

Gather the Lotus class looks good. hope weather OK as you say.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:42 (Ref:1064486)   #8
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anybody clicked on the link provided by james???

Check out the in car camera and see just how savage that car is too drive when it snaps sideways at the start!!!!!!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1064488)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sawbench
Hello again all
Yes - be at Shelsley this weekend. I shall go to my favourite place just by the trap and watch from there. staying a the 100 House Satrday night so may see some people there??
as a fellow ten-tenther you are hereby invited to the Farmyard on Saturday or Sunday night. Us marshals have free beer and welcome all-comers.

Trust me, I know the Chief Marshal and he will make you more than welcome ! (as will the rest of us)

What a great way to round off a good days motorsport???

we now expect you !!!!!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1064490)   #10
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be there - but not as a marshal - taking a day off and spectating with my worse half on sunday
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:50 (Ref:1064492)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by blackx
Has anybody clicked on the link provided by james???

Check out the in car camera and see just how savage that car is too drive when it snaps sideways at the start!!!!!!
YES !!!! and just goes to show why those of us further up the hill sometimes never get to see Ken !!!!!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:57 (Ref:1064497)   #12
Fireblade
Racer

Quote:
staying a the 100 House Satrday night so may see some people there??
Well make sure that you don't snore then sawbench as I will also be at the 100 House Hotel, Gt Witley.
I don't expect my beauty sleep disturbed by you Jethro's pushing up the zzzzzz's.

And leave your lurcher at home. This isn't Wiscombe Park you understand. This is the King of Hillclimbs.

See you there.

Last edited by Fireblade; 12 Aug 2004 at 23:58.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1064512)   #13
Fireblade
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
YES !!!! and just goes to show why those of us further up the hill sometimes never get to see Ken !!!!!
Yes, I never understood why Ken had a plaque on the sheds at Shelsley. He would have been far better off having it put on the sleepers at Bottom Ess.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:34 (Ref:1064662)   #14
james_williams
Racer

Quote:

Adam F the champion, but I read in the magazine today that he may not continue next year? been there done that really. What do others think?

Adam is a talented guy and will no doubt want to further his career in motorsport, perhaps by going circuit racing. (See Page 12 Autosport this week) Also, Adam's brother Todd is looking pretty sharp in the 1100cc class. Maybe if Adam goes to circuits we will see Roger and Todd in the Gould soon?!

Anyway, still praying for a completely dry weekend although the forecasters can't make thier mind up. If it stays dry its going to be a cracker! I've been looking forward to this one for weeks!!

J (very excited!)
Old 13 Aug 2004, 07:39 (Ref:1064713)   #15
blackx
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, I never understood why Ken had a plaque on the sheds at Shelsley. He would have been far better off having it put on the sleepers at Bottom Ess.
Or in the bushes at triangle

Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:54 (Ref:1065051)   #16
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by icklimp
I shall be there - but not as a marshal - taking a day off and spectating with my worse half on sunday
Thought you would be en-route to sunny Harrogate
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1065155)   #17
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah can't get the week of work so am visiting a few old friends at Shelsley. Shame to miss Harrogate as it sounds like it'll be a good week
Old 14 Aug 2004, 23:09 (Ref:1066540)   #18
Fireblade
Racer

Great weather for Saurday practice at Shelsley with Adam Fleetwood getting under his existing record although this of course does not stand as it was not a competitive run.

Loads of good stuff also from the Lotus camp who are celebrating their 50 years at Shelsley this week end. Martin Stretton is in the ex Mansell 87 although not quick off the line as it allegedly has a weak clutch.

If you haven't made up your mind what to do this Sunday morning, I suggest it is point the car in the direction of Shelsley Walsh.
Live action also shown in the paddock on big screen from 3 stategically placed cameras on the hill.

See you there.

Last edited by Fireblade; 14 Aug 2004 at 23:11.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1067505)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, what a week-end that was. New record to Adam at an astonishing 23.87, loads of drivers doing Personal Bests, including our best mate Willem into the 24 club (4 members and one former member), Sue Yound destroying the her own Ladies record and Phil Cook taking over 1sec off the 1600 record (although he went faster last time in the run-off. Shame Hamish Lindsay had problems and couldn't continue his qualifying pace - a 500 into the 20s will be quite an achievememt. Excellent hospitality shown to the marshals by the drivers too - thanks guys, much appreciated.

Great to see you again, ickleimp, do come back, and we found another marshal who's been missing this year and will come back.

James, how's the car? Seemed to be going ok today so I assume the mechanical hiccough was not too bad to fix.

Missed you, sawbench, but then I didn't know who I was looking for. Stop by the marshals' posts next time and you've got a good chance of meeting a 10ther.

See you all at Shelsley again 11/12th Sept, or at Gurston in a fortnight if anyone's going to be there.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 08:30 (Ref:1067854)   #20
james_williams
Racer

Hi Guys,

Indeed, what a weekend! Had a great time.

We had a fraught Saturday night, but Terry Davis helped us out a lot and we managed to get a "Larry Lash Up" fabricated overnight and were able to run. I got a PB so happy with that although I can still go faster. Some more seat time in the car required.

Thanks to all the marshalls and officials. Again, another well orgainised bunch. Not too many crashes this time so you must have left the Pork Pies at home!!!!

See you all soon.

J
Old 16 Aug 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1068007)   #21
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Woolley
Many thanks to all at Shelsley for such a hospitable welcome and 2 days of great motor sport, to see Adam break yet another hill record awesome !!!!

I didn’t get to thank you and many others in person as most had gone to pack slightly damp tents and camping gear

Ken now knows what top paddock looks like

The damp surface led to some moments in the run-off

and who wants slapped hand for not checking the podium was stable ?? (guilty as charged)

Hope to see everybody again down in the midlands, possibly Loton Park next weekend

andy
Old 16 Aug 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1068117)   #22
blackx
Veteran

England
Well............
What a weekend indeed.....
Aside from the racing what about saturday night......
Many thanks to Scots Billy and Bomber Harris and all others involved in organising The Chevron Bar and the Barby and the band and the inflatable slide that was such a big hit with kids AND grown ups alike.....
Cheers guys !!!!!!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 00:41 (Ref:1068764)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Yep, agreed Steve, the Chevron Bar do us proud, even if they did run out of beer 1 pint after I'd made a donation to the 'honesty' box - my fault for turning up late! I've asked Roger to pass on our thanks again.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1069712)   #24
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the Marshals, the racers, Shelsley anf Keith's Chevron bar. Not having camped before we wern't aware of the Saturday night bar. Now we will always camp and bring some food for the barbie.
You did your jobs, here's part of mine, the pictures

http://www.joyrainey.net/Shelsley%20...5th%202004.htm

(all in one link).
Regards
McB
Old 17 Aug 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1069944)   #25
blackx
Veteran

England
Some superb photo's ther mcb666.....