Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1957483)   #26
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO diesel racers' sound and smell are just fine.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1957486)   #27
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
What sound? There's only the noise of the tyres rolling...
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1957488)   #28
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
Absolutly no need to. Just use one's ears and listen to 99% of all people's comments when first introduced to these boring cars.
strange, I never heard such comments right from the first introduction of the Peugeot at Paul Ricard.....
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1957489)   #29
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well Mr.Smugness,you tell me then!
I'll gladly leave to that to you to find out, Mr. Cleverness...
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1957490)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1957492)   #31
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
just some bloody Dutchmen having an argument
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:41 (Ref:1957496)   #32
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
try to find pictures of the Peugeot RC cup, that ran on bio-diesel a number of years ago...
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:44 (Ref:1957498)   #33
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Thing is,when the Pug was shown first on Paul Ricard it actually had some sound to it! A bit of a gruffy,low down and bassy rumble. However,when seen at Le Mans it just sounded like,well nothing really. Just like the Audi's.
My Dyson vacumecleaner makes more noise then these things.

@henkie 4,maybe you should go to LM and try to hear it for yourselve...
Old 8 Jul 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1957499)   #34
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
@henkie 4,maybe you should go to LM and try to hear it for yourselve...
I have been in the pitlane of Paul Ricard, Monza, Valencia and lately the Nuerburgring..I know exactly how every car sounds. At PR many petrol cars ran without noise restrictors....
Old 8 Jul 2007, 12:00 (Ref:1957512)   #35
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
I have been in the pitlane of Paul Ricard, Monza, Valencia and lately the Nuerburgring..I know exactly how every car sounds. At PR many petrol cars ran without noise restrictors....
Hahaha,hap zei ie! Still that's not LM dear friend.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 12:41 (Ref:1957552)   #36
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Hahaha,hap zei ie! Still that's not LM dear friend.
the language forum is english, i'll translate "He took the bait"... of course cars at LM sound totally different there then anywhere else...how could I forget
Old 8 Jul 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1957614)   #37
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesel is actually crap- that's why they need the performance breaks.
I am becoming pretty disllusioned with LMP racing at the moment, having seen 4 makes win 5 races (and 5 teams) in the GT1 class in FIA GT this season, and one make dominate the LMS.
ACO rule makers>><<me.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1957641)   #38
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
As opposed to constantly balancing performance (or trying to) with success ballast?
Old 8 Jul 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1957644)   #39
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
As opposed to constantly balancing performance (or trying to) with success ballast?
Tell me it doesn't create an interesting championship.
See Super GT, FIA GT, WTCC, BTCC etc for proven results.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 14:50 (Ref:1957689)   #40
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be controversial and say that I preferred the old FIA SCC/SRWC/ISRS to the LMS.

Am I mental?

Ferrari 333SP - now that's what a prototype should sound like
Old 8 Jul 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1957694)   #41
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
i only wish i could have heard it
but you can't argue with the current stunning entry, can you?
except for two dirty diesels!
any good thomas the tank engine fan will tell you dirty diesels spread diseasels
Old 8 Jul 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1957717)   #42
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And again,I'd like to see what would hapen if the tech rules would be equaled for the diesel and petrol cars. So that 'd meen 5,5L petrol turbo engines.
Would they both have the same size fuel tanks? or would the petrol ones need bigger ones to go the same distance?

I really can't understand all the crap about the noise. So what the Audi and Peugeot are quite cars, they are still bloody fast, should that not be the overriding factor for a racing car?

An ALD or Debora (spl) where both pretty noisy, but pretty crap as race cars, would you like a field made up of crap but noisy cars or quite but fast?

I wonder how many of you ever heard a 956 or Sauber Merc in anger and in period, compared to the V12 Jags they were almost silent, would you have be whining like a kid who has just lost his favorite teddy bear then as well?
Old 8 Jul 2007, 16:29 (Ref:1957754)   #43
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I really can't understand all the crap about the noise. So what the Audi and Peugeot are quite cars, they are still bloody fast, should that not be the overriding factor for a racing car?
They are fast, but a quiet car on rails doesn't exactly get the blood pumping. They are nothing compared to the experience of the Panoz GTR-1 passing by back in the late 90s, I distinctly remember feeling it through the stands before the car got anywhere near, and then feeling my ribcage vibrate as it passed!

The diesel LMPs don't come anywhere close, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I wonder how many of you ever heard a 956 or Sauber Merc in anger and in period, compared to the V12 Jags they were almost silent, would you have be whining like a kid who has just lost his favorite teddy bear then as well?
I still wouldn't describe a 956 as quiet, they are still much louder than the Peugeot and Audi.

And the Sauber Mercs made quite a nice noise, I seem to remember?

Last edited by geeteeone; 8 Jul 2007 at 16:33.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1957824)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
When sitting at our grandstand this year at LM (Dunlop) there was a right old loud cheer from many people when the first Audi crashed. Nope,these oilburners have been made to sterile. All drama has been taken away and so logically they're not really loved by the majority of the fans.
I would venture to suggest that the cheers (not that I heard them) had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a diesel had crashed out. It was because an Audi had crashed - I suspect the cheers would have been the same had it been an R8......
Old 8 Jul 2007, 18:33 (Ref:1957853)   #45
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I would venture to suggest that the cheers (not that I heard them) had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a diesel had crashed out. It was because an Audi had crashed - I suspect the cheers would have been the same had it been an R8......
Exactly the same thing happened when Dindo went off; one less car between the French cars and victory. Nothing strange at all.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 18:49 (Ref:1957873)   #46
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
I feel that if i were in a crowd at silverstone and a petrol went past a diesel, regardless of manufacturer, there would be a cheer.
Diesel is not emotional or interesting, except to engineers.
bring back 5litre v12, v10, v16 perhaps.
turbos/fuel equivalency, varied shapes and sizes, close racing.
and scrap diesels and power breaks.
Never mind the ********, here's the petrol engines.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 19:24 (Ref:1957914)   #47
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
I feel that if i were in a crowd at silverstone and a petrol went past a diesel, regardless of manufacturer, there would be a cheer.
Diesel is not emotional or interesting, except to engineers.
bring back 5litre v12, v10, v16 perhaps.
turbos/fuel equivalency, varied shapes and sizes, close racing.
and scrap diesels and power breaks.
Never mind the ********, here's the petrol engines.
Have you seen the R8 in action? It was also very quiet and drove like it was on rails. I think you underestimate the crowd at Silverstone if you expect that if they cheer, it is because of the fact that the car getting overtaken is a diesel. If they will cheer, it is because the petrol cars are the undertakes and it's quite natural to root for the underdog.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1957941)   #48
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The point of the P1 category is innovation - the diesels fill that !! Are you gonna be complaining about every new piece of hardware that tyurns up including hybrids ?

To make a racing diesel engine is a hellishly impressive piece of engineering which anybody should be able to appreciate whether you like them or not!!

Besides variety is the spice of life would rather see variety (even diesels) than a field full of prototypes all running Judd engines!!!
Old 8 Jul 2007, 20:02 (Ref:1957945)   #49
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After seeing the R10's for the first time in person I must admit I was blown away. It is almost surreal to see something so quiet yet so deceptively quick. No other car had as much straight line acceleration or carried so much speed in to the corners as the R10. The engine noise reduction is a mere afterthought after witnessing the R10 TDI whistle by at full steam.
Old 8 Jul 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1957958)   #50
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So that 'd meen 5,5L petrol turbo engines.
I can't wait for Corvettes to stop getting bigger restrictors than the Astons. I can't wait for a 6 liter turbo to destroy those 6 liter non turbos.

Common sense.