Michael Schumacher 5 17.24%
Juan Pable Montoya 24 82.76%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:29 (Ref:330973)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who will take more poles- Mikey or Monty?

Montoya's qualifying pace in cars which are slow, inconsistant and unreliable (compared to the Ferraris) is largely similar to Senna's 16 poles and 5 wins for Lotus from 85-87. Four successive poles is something Schumacher has never done (I think), yet Schumacher now has many poles and perhaps another 2 years to add to the tally. So who's career wil yield more?
Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:42 (Ref:330991)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't vote as that is for career and too damn hard to predict

But this year JPM will most probably take more poles.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 11:45 (Ref:331001)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya , i belive because he is so aggressive and can really wind himself up for a lap and nail which is great to watch
Old 10 Jul 2002, 12:28 (Ref:331046)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if things continue like this, Montoya, 8 poles so far, not bad going.

Senna was still better though..
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:31 (Ref:331131)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
JPM is the driver who will stop TGF beating Senna'a record number of poles imo! JPM will end up with more poles this season, he's already got 5 and he hasn't even gone to the tracks where he set his 3 poles last year! (i know that Hockenheim is now a different configuration)

Last edited by Mr V; 10 Jul 2002 at 14:32.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 16:47 (Ref:331193)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Montoya's poles have been great. Some have been achieved easily, others have been stolen at the end. And the tyres are much more suited to one lap. However I think Michael and the Ferrari are too strong, unless Rubens steals a few.

So I think Michael, but it'll be close.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 16:51 (Ref:331196)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya
Old 10 Jul 2002, 18:48 (Ref:331284)   #8
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My vote goes to JPM.. TGF has lost interest. He should become a nanny for rest of the season..
Old 10 Jul 2002, 19:34 (Ref:331324)   #9
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its got to be the driver that has more talent.

That driver is:

Juan Pablo Montoya
Old 10 Jul 2002, 23:04 (Ref:331478)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya. Rubens is outqualifying M$ as well.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:02 (Ref:331734)   #11
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Shouldn't this poll be more aptly titled:

Who will win the most pols but fail to win? OR

Who will win the most polls but fail to score any points?

In these cases the winner will be..........................

But wait, wait....IF JPM drove a red car, IF JPM drove Bridgestones, IF JPM had an engine that didn't blow, IF JPM wasn't blocked by somebody, IF JPM had Rubens as a partner, IF it didn't rain on JPM, IF JPM didn't run over the lolipop man, IF JPM had a good intermediate, IF JPM, IF JPM, IF, IF, IF.........

I think Juan's new name on this board should be changed to: IFJPM.

Polls are nice but points and WDC's are what really counts and so far Montoya, like a weak salesman can't close the deal. Here in the US we have a saying regarding baseball, another sport loaded with meaningless statistics:

It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring.........World Series ring that is!

Michael may or may not end up with the most poles but I guarantee he will beat out JPM for the highest number of poles converted to wins.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:22 (Ref:331759)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A poll about who'll get pole! Only just noticed!

Obviously Michael will win more races, but I feel it is an interesting point anyway. A poll about who will win more races during the rest of season would be dull!

It is an interesting to know whether people think that despite an inherently weaker package, Williams and Montoya can pull out those single laps. And whether the trend of a quick, but inconsistent Michelins will continue.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:56 (Ref:331795)   #13
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCF will take more poles this year as schumi has never been the best qualifier. But also TCF will never be the racer that schumi is.

It must also be noted that TCF will never be as good as Senna in qualifying or racecraft....

Interesting facts.

Qual results.
Ferrari
Schumi 7
Barra 3

Williams
Schumi 4
Mont 6

McLaren
Coult 4
Raik 6
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:12 (Ref:331871)   #14
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only records that TGF can't beat are the ones Senna still holds: 8 consecutive poles, and 65 poles.
(BTW, TGF had achieved 7 consecutive poles)

*Pls, Champ69, follow our acronyms conventions! Had a hard time this morning trying to get the TGF-schummy until I noticed that it was TCF!
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:32 (Ref:331892)   #15
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
facco, whats funny is that TGF cant break the record Senna holds in a car 2 seconds faster than the rest...
Old 11 Jul 2002, 14:56 (Ref:331913)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Schumacher has 46 poles. So far he has 3 poles out of 10 races this year. Schumacher will retire at the earliest (IMO) at the end of 2004. Therefore he 41 races to go. At 30% strike rate he will get 9 more poles. So that'll be 58.

His overall strike rate is 46/176 (26%) would mean about 57 poles.

But at the moment he has that Ferrari. And if he stays around a bit longer he could well end up having more poles than Senna had. But it'll probably be close.

If you want some even more dodgey manipulation of statistics then Montoya, who so far has a strike rate of 8/27 (or nearly 30%) would get 50 poles if he does 10 years he will get about 50 poles!

Clearly this is all a load of rubbish, but I'd though I'd say.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Jul 2002 at 14:57.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 16:50 (Ref:331988)   #17
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monty can take more poles than shumi this season, I mean if he can repeat those that he took last year. But I only care about the wins now.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 16:51 (Ref:331989)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But of course Schumacher didn't take any poles at all in his first 2 1/2 seasons, Montoya has started taking regular poles way before regular wins, as on raceday he has not had winning hardware, hence the clear Senna comparison. Personally I think that if Schumi races on until the end of 2004 he will beat Senna's total, unless Ferrari driop the ball or Williams really pick it up and increase the margin.

But then can Monotya beat what would be Schumacher's record? Over the coruse of 10 years, it seems quite likely, and I could see Monty getting 10 poles in a season at one point, or maybe matching Senna's 13 (if, as Senna did that season, find himself in a dominant car teamed with a relatively poor qualifier (Prost)
Old 11 Jul 2002, 17:01 (Ref:331998)   #19
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Senna took 13 poles a season twice

Last edited by facco; 11 Jul 2002 at 17:07.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 17:32 (Ref:332016)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think MS will have more poles. The Williams seems at the moment to be faster than the Ferrari on a light load. I am sure Ferrari and MS will not be on the second row of the grid too many more times this season either. Even JPM was a little surprised by his pace. In equal equipment I think JPM would get it but the Ferrari just looks so well balanced.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 17:49 (Ref:332025)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hakkinen was awesome with poles too, if he had had a good car for longer time, he would be atop there too
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:42 (Ref:332092)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Being new, I just have a question: I figured out that TGF = M Schumacher, but what exactly does the acronym mean?

Apologies in advance for expressing mi ignorance (it is typically what I do best!).:confused:
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:46 (Ref:332094)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
TGF= That German Fellow
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:47 (Ref:332095)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you mr v!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 09:04 (Ref:332401)   #25
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Less poles and more victories only confirm how good a grand prix driver is in racing...the whole distance.

Senna's 65-41 look funny when compared to 46-60 of Schumis.

Personally, I enjoy Michael's 2nd or 3rd row starts. I hate the concept of pole to finish dominance.