Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2008, 05:59 (Ref:2156921)   #1
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC to televise F1 from 2009

The BBC has won the rights to televise Formula One from 2009 in a deal lasting 5 years.
They've got a year to think about how to do the coverage - so what should they do that ITV doesn't or does badly.
How can the BBC improve 'the show'?
I think it'll be fascinating to see how much they move it on from when they last had it.
Obviously there'll be the big question of the commentary team - it'll be very interesting to see who they pick.
I'm sure the anti-James Allen lobby will be laughing into their cornflakes this morning!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:17 (Ref:2156923)   #2
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is great news they are putting it on the website to watch from there aswell as TV which i think is great ! uninterupted ! no adverts this is heaven and return of the chain !!!

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 20 Mar 2008 at 06:21.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:31 (Ref:2156925)   #3
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:31 (Ref:2156926)   #4
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea to me, we could get a new presenter or two and retain some of the more informed members of the team, I do like Martin's start line walk abouts..... But I guess we will wait and see!

Last edited by Happy Snapper; 20 Mar 2008 at 06:34.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2156929)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope they keep Martin.

His insights to both the driving and the background are relevant and incisive. As to his co presenter?..........................................

FWIW I quite like the ITV coverage and let's face it we may miss The Chain but at least ITV has moved the presentation up a few notches. Even Jim Rosenthal was pretty good as a general presenter but he did look uncomfortable.

Steve Ryder is in a different league so if they have an anchor man/woman I'd like it to be him.

But unbroken coverage? Good news.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2156931)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is the best news I have heard in ages! Back to 'The Chain' for the start music and generally all round better!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:49 (Ref:2156935)   #7
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fantastiic news! Its reall surprising though because I thought ITV had a deal until 2011/12?

I the BBC don't keep mark blundell. He drives me mad, with his repeating of questions straight back to the person who asks them! Brundel is fine. Maybe update Louise Goodman with a younger model too?

I also hope they broadcast the practice sessions too - even online would be better than nothing!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2156936)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Be nice to fianlly give Ben Edwards the job he has deserved for years.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2156937)   #9
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent news

No ads
No James Allen (please BBC don't employ him)
and The Chain as the intro

Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2156941)   #10
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 moves back to BBC

Just heard on the radio that F1 coverage is back on the BBC next year after 12 years on ITV.
HOORAY, HOORAY, HOORAY.
No more adverts, and lets hope we get some different commentators,the banal sycophant that is Louise Goodman needs to be confined to history in my opinion.
Please discuss.............................................
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2156944)   #11
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
Excellent news

Now your talking
Piglet and I had "The Chain" as our exit music when we got married last year...
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2156946)   #12
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
Excellent news

No ads
No James Allen (please BBC don't employ him)

Brilliant news, just look at the way BBC sports coverage has grown over the years, this will be very good for F1 in the UK.

In terms of James Allen, why don't we start one of those online petitions to the government not to waste tax payers money on employing such a pratt. Im sure we could get a good response on here and err other fourms!!

Don't have the time or the inclination but would be happy to sign it if someone set it up.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2156951)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No adverts!

Did anyone else notice though the adverts seemed not too obtrusive in the Australian Grand Prix on ITV? It was as though there were less of them, but perhaps the duration was the same but they packed them into fewer advert breaks. Anyway, this is all academic now

I agree with those who point out though that ITV took the coverage up a notch and committed themselves to it well. The BBC will have a job to do likewise.

I also add my sentiments to the idea that thy must retain Martin Brundle. Regardless of his role as the "expert" or the ex-driver, he is a good commentator anyway. Why couldn't he even be the lead commentator?

Last edited by Born Racer; 20 Mar 2008 at 07:45.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2156953)   #14
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us. Please, please, please - ANYBODY who has ever had felt mildly annoyed by James Allen, for the love of god send a suggestion to the BBC below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make...nt_step1.shtml

They really do read every comment submitted. If we can get enough people to make a noise, they will notice.

It's hopefully not too late to make a difference. All it takes is a simple paragraph of two stating why you really don't want James Allen to come to the BBC.

Your F1 coverage needs you!

(seriously!)
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2156957)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
No adverts!

Did anyone else notice though the adverts seemed not too obtrusive in the Australian Grand Prix on ITV?

No.

For me, the removal of ad breaks is by far the greatest news - nothing has annoyed me so much when watching F1 over the last few years.

And the return of The Chain has to be a given, surely....
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2156959)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am I the only one that thinks this probably wont be very good? I mean, ITV spent a LOT more airtime on F1 than the BBC did. With the BBC the coverage would often start on the warm up lap and end after the podium if you're lucky. They'll probably get a rubbish announce team as well.

No adverts and The Chain is a bonus though.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2156960)   #17
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
No adverts!

Did anyone else notice though the adverts seemed not too obtrusive in the Australian Grand Prix on ITV? It was as though there were less of them, but perhaps the duration was the same but they packed them into fewer advert breaks. Anyway, this is all academic now
Three Safety Car periods are a good place to hide ad breaks
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2156961)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know this isn't my territory, but predictably there is a running discussion thread on this already in the F1 forum.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2156963)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to keep Brundle & use "the Chain". Hope that they have the highlights show at a decent time as well. It used to be about 2200 on a sunday but ITVs is often much later.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2156966)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope it moves things forward from where ITV took it.

The Chain is not really a forward looking step though.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2156969)   #21
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure it will be a positive step.

The interesting thing here is that ITV say that they made a commercial decision to exit F1 at the end of the season and that the BBC were approached by Bernie Ecclestone - it doesn't appear to have been a competitive situation.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2156972)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Maybe update Louise Goodman with a younger model too?
That nice young lady (name escapes me) that does the bike racing would be a worthy replacement, she is very knowledgable, fluent and looks good what more could you ask for!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2156973)   #23
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That eventful '94 season with the full and original version of 'The Chain'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgWwrtOR2E
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2156974)   #24
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Am I the only one that thinks this probably wont be very good? I mean, ITV spent a LOT more airtime on F1 than the BBC did. With the BBC the coverage would often start on the warm up lap and end after the podium if you're lucky. They'll probably get a rubbish announce team as well.

No adverts and The Chain is a bonus though.
Why are you comparing what ITV are doing now with what the BBC did..how many years ago? Your glass must be half empty all the time?

If Allen goes, along with the ads, it is almost certain to be better. Even if we do lose the Hamilton show prologue.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2156975)   #25
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What fantastic news, F1 back where it belongs on the BBC. The Beeb have to sign up Brundle and Rider to front the coverage.